Thread: Anyone ever used Garage Band?

Anyone ever used Garage Band?

How'd you like it?

I have tried it. And I guess the fact that I'm still using SONAR says pretty much everything from my perspective. Its Freeware, so it may suit you just fine. I seem to recall that there were things I could do easily in SONAR that Garageband just would not do. It was a number of years ago (like 10) so perhaps it has matured. I just stick with what I am used to.

Of course GB is free, and Sonar cost me about $800 (Including the "upgrades")

Garageband and Logic X have similarities, especially the last few versions (no wonder as both are Apple). Not that GB have become a Logic LE or so yet, but some integration exists. GB is available on iPads which makes it a good very portable scratch pad for Logic users, as well as a useful tool on its own.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I use GarageBand for quick ideas. I bought a focusrite docking station for my iPad, that allows me to fire everything up quickly when an idea pops in my head. I still use Reaper when I am trying to make a decent recording.

I don't have a mac, so I am sure GarageBand offers a lot more when you have a full version. I love it for ideas and then fleshing things out.

I used GB iOS a lot a couple of years ago and liked it. Initially using an Alesis iODock as the audio interface and then a PreSonus iAudioBox Two For my needs (demos and quick recordings) it did the job. The only thing I wanted (and this forum might have more who need this than most people) and couldn't do was the ability to change time signature in the middle of a song. If you're only recording audio, no matter, but anyone using MIDI and software instruments would be stuck.

Now using a Mac and Logic, but in truth it's too big for my needs and I'm thinking about GB on the Mac or even going back to the iOS version.

I've not used any of this software, but ran across this article about different DAWs and wondered what anyone thought about it. The Presonus Studio One 3 offers a free version with it looks like a free synth as well, but I've not used it as I said. I wondered if anyone has tried it. Here's a link.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I've not used any of this software, but ran across this article about different DAWs and wondered what anyone thought about it. The Presonus Studio One 3 offers a free version with it looks like a free synth as well, but I've not used it as I said. I wondered if anyone has tried it. Here's a link.
    My AudioBox came with a free copy of Studio One v3. I did install it and thought it looked good, but not enough to throw away my investment into learning Logics way of doing things.