Thread: Bass Help

Bass Help

I'm about to take the plunge and buy a Rickenbacker 4003. I need a suggestion for an amp that will (1) serve as a rehearsal amp for a small space but also (2) have full sound for a room that's about 120' long by 50' wide. Suggestions? Also, strings to use? I would go with Rotosound but I need to be able to get a trebly sound (a la Sir Paul on Sgt. Pepper) and a mid-rangy sound.

Thanks!
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

For an amp, I'd look into the Carvin MB series. They are modular, so you can get the pieces you want, and only use the pieces you want in various situations. I have the MB110 and the 15" extension speaker. Together they put out 350 watts, more than enough for what you need, and if you just use the MB110 by itself it is just 250 watts. they are also super light, and quite inexpensive (I even think Carvin is still running a super sale right now).

The Fender Rumble series is also probably solid. If you want to spend more, I'd look to Mesa.

For strings, Rotosounds are a logical choice, and the classic Swing 66 stainless steel strings are as trebly as almost anything out there. Note that this is going to give you more of a Squire, not McCartney sound. I don't know what McCartney used on his Ric, possibly flats, his sound is much more muted than Squire's. For something bright, but not quite as bright or quite as hard on the frets, you might consider the Rotosound Nickel strings, like the RS66LN (http://www.juststrings.com/rts-rs66ln.html). I think these would sound good on a Ric. Recently I've tended more toward the nickel strings on bass, which are bright, but not as extreme as the stainless steel. Really, almost any nickel round would be OK, even good old D'Addarios, which are solid strings and fairly cheap.

Bill

Many thanks, Bill -- good information!
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

I go for the Rotosound Swing Bass strings for my Ric. Never used anything else.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Fender Rumble, seconded.
    I have the 500 combo.