Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scooby-Doo - horror or not?

Scooby-Doo - horror or not?

I mean, although it's supposedly a children's cheap animation series, especially the mid-period episodes are visibly chock-cocked with mock-schmuck-shock-horror effect momentums and wrenched facial expressions and harrowing screams and everything (not to mention psychopathic-psychotic Shaggy), so the essential question would be - WTF does it take to render something so-called true horror? Devoid of those moistly terrible hands of the horrible elitist snobs that would instead point to the possible futility of the question itself?

If I'm scared into frothing at the mouth from watching Scooby, wouldn't that suffice as a horror marker?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

i see you're running out of ideas to fill your thread-starting quota.

Discourse. Little else.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Start with The Funky Phantom and work your way up.

More of a Muttley fan myself!

Jinkies
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I don't find this scary at all:

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    i see you're running out of ideas to fill your thread-starting quota.
    He would have got away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids

We live in a world where someone edited together a cartoon figure's bikini shots.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I mean, although it's supposedly a children's cheap animation series, especially the mid-period episodes are visibly chock-cocked with mock-schmuck-shock-horror effect momentums and wrenched facial expressions and harrowing screams and everything (not to mention psychopathic-psychotic Shaggy), so the essential question would be - WTF does it take to render something so-called true horror? Devoid of those moistly terrible hands of the horrible elitist snobs that would instead point to the possible futility of the question itself?

If I'm scared into frothing at the mouth from watching Scooby, wouldn't that suffice as a horror marker?
    A clockwork Scooby-doo! Viddying well now:
    I just don't understand about feeling sick the way I did. I never used to feel sick before. I used to feel like the very opposite. I mean, doing it or watching it, I used to feel real horrorshow. I just don't understand why, how or what.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I don't find this scary at all:
    YA MEAN TATELLUS DAT MONSTAWAVE AT 0:52 DOESN'T MAKE YA WANNA SHITYAPANZ?!

[btw, that soundtrack tune seems a bit proggy, uhrm...Uh, er... Is-i-i-is it, uhm...]

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    We live in a world where someone edited together a cartoon figure's bikini shots.
    Maybe YOU live in that world. I will deny it to my last breath.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

you knew some of the most frightening figures in music and Scooby Doo scares you??
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    you knew some of the most frightening figures in music and Scooby Doo scares you??
    If you're thinking of the local svartmetall crew back in my ol' hometown, I can think of a number of superlative adjectives - but "frightening" was never amongst them. And either way none of those geezers were as malicious and downright incendiary as Shaggy.

This guy, however - Tore Syvert Moen, called 'Smiley' or 'the Troll' on the past streets of Bergen (he's dead now) - could indeed be a bit menacing. He had a habit of attending grocerystores with half-eaten containers of tomato macrels and demand a brand new and unopened one due to the first one "tasting bad". And if the storekeeper didn't oblige, Smiley would get vicious, grating and, well, a troll. While still smiling. Here he is, and in the coffin too. No kidding. Meeting this schizo in the backalleys of Bergen during drunken nights - now THAT could be frightening. Of course, as opposed to, say, Christian Vikernes, Smiley was real. Vikernes, in the other hand, was just a simple teetotaller criminal with a personality disorder and an attention agenda. A fucking live cartoon.

Hail the Troll!
    trollet.jpg
    likkiste.jpg

Mortiis was on Facebook going off about one of Varg's fans calling him and Samoth "snitches" and that Jan was going to run into the guy on tour most likely.

that cat in the photo almost looks like the guy who was at my valet desk one night eating a muffin...

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    that cat in the photo almost looks like the guy who was at my valet desk one night eating a muffin...
    Same guy. He only uses that coffin for sleepin'. Or not. He ate the bleeding heart right out from through some blackmetaller's tough leather jacket (I believe it was Samoth's cousin, Evil Stumpy) and accidentally swallowed his wallet as well, thus rendering him able to pay for flight tickets to the States by burping at the barcode check. And so he went and came, only to venture into the trashcan assortments of US neighbourhoods. No triumphant Trumpant to stop the Troll from entering the Bad-S-of-A. And if you think this isn't properly prog-related, just be aware that Smiley was seen getting on the tourbus with Asia as replacement for the sudden mysterious disappearance of Willy Sherwood. The troll tones a mean jaw's harp.

Inspired by Scooby all the same.

Same guy. He only uses that coffin for sleepin'. Or not. He ate the bleeding heart right out from through some blackmetaller's tough leather jacket (I believe it was Samoth's cousin, Evil Stumpy) and accidentally swallowed his wallet as well, thus rendering him able to pay for flight tickets to the States by burping at the barcode check. And so he went and came, only to venture into the trashcan assortments of US neighbourhoods. No triumphant Trumpant to stop the Troll from entering the Bad-S-of-A. And if you think this isn't properly prog-related, just be aware that Smiley was seen getting on the tourbus with Asia as replacement for the sudden mysterious disappearance of Willy Sherwood. The troll tones a mean jaw's harp.

Inspired by Scooby all the same.
    he would have not been stopped at all if not for those meddling kids and their dog

Horror? No, more like suspense or mystery. I think it was actually pretty sophisticated for a cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Horror? No, more like suspense or mystery. I think it was actually pretty sophisticated for a cartoon.
    Yep. They even use old Scooby Do episodes to teach investigative techniques at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yep. They even use old Scooby Do episodes to teach investigative techniques at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia.
    Fortunately, the Scrappy Doo ones are reserved for mall cops

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Scrappy Doo is the deepest horror of all.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

slapstick comedy, that's all

I think the bigger questions are:

1. Shaggy: doper or not?
    2. Velma: Lesbian or not?

(yes, we know, this was already settled on The Venture Brothers..."Yeah, I thought people thought she was, but I have a case of herpes that says otherwise!")

..OP/Thread..
    you win

^ Yeah right, because it's always about that - isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    slapstick comedy, that's all

I think the bigger questions are:

1. Shaggy: doper or not?
    2. Velma: Lesbian or not?

(yes, we know, this was already settled on The Venture Brothers..."Yeah, I thought people thought she was, but I have a case of herpes that says otherwise!")
    Ok, so what about Peppermint Patty or Marcy? Which one of them was a lesbian or were they lovers? Hey, we need to know these things.