Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Scooby-Doo - horror or not?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    Wait...why are we arguing the sexuality of cartoon characters?
    I'm with Jen on this one.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I get it. Next thing you know we'll be arguing about whether Burt and Ernie are gay.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What's Shaggy 2 Dope?
    Seek out: The Gathering of The Juggalos.

You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I get it. Next thing you know we'll be arguing about whether Burt and Ernie are gay.
    Oh, geez, I remember that rumor that went around about 20 years ago, about how Burt and Ernie were going to get married. I remember Jay Leno mentioning it in his monologue, and I thought, "Wait this is a put on", but no, there were seriously people who for whatever reason believed that Sesame Street was going to have a gay wedding. This carried on for months, maybe even more than a year. I remember someone writing into TV Guide and saying that she had taken a tour of the Sesame Street production studios, and found that Burt and Ernie are made of felt, and "felt doesn't have a sexual orientation", therefore Burt and Ernie aren't gay.

I also remember someone criticizing The Simpsons because they believed that Cheif Wiggum and his wife were actually siblings. (Oh geez, this is getting disturbingly close to actual fact, vis-a-viz the situation that led to Heart leaving their first record company)

I mean, what is wrong with people. I mean, who sits around watching a cartoon, thinking, "Ya know, Velma looks like a stereotypical lesbian". Likewise with the Peppermint Patty and Marcy thing. You're really reading the funny pages, and thinking, "I bet they're a gay couple". Honestly! The frell is your major malfunction?!

Oh, and the reason, I brought up in the first place, was as a joke, because I assumed this was meant to be a joke thread.

Wait...why are we arguing the sexuality of cartoon characters?
    Heh, you never seen Red Dwarf?

Y'know, if you enter "Velma Daphne slash" into Google you get like 5 million entries. So it's not like just a few random PE members joke about such things.

Chief Wiggums being married to his sister might explain what went wrong with little Ralphie.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    JUST NO!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Heh, you never seen Red Dwarf?

Nothing beats Trippin' the Rift

Nothing beats Trippin' the Rift
    "It's a...back massager!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Y'know, if you enter "Velma Daphne slash" into Google you get like 5 million entries. So it's not like just a few random PE members joke about such things.

Chief Wiggums being married to his sister might explain what went wrong with little Ralphie.
    The Simpsons creators say that Chief Wiggum merely married a woman who looks like him. I remember this being mentioned in TV Guide back in the 90's, where it was suggested that people tend to marry those who resemble themselves, with whichever one of the writers, I forget which one, saying, "Don't you think Brad Pitt sort of looks like Jennifer Aniston?".

But people have been debating things like this for decades. Back in the early 50's, some butt burglar wrote a book "exposing" the comic book industry's efforts to corrupt "the youth of America". One of the things that was suggested was that, the reason that many of the major super heroes had same sex sidekicks was because they were gay couples. Of course, Batman and Robin are the most famous example, but as I recall, there were quite a few others (I believe Aquaman had a sidekick, for instance). It was even lampooned on The Venture Brothers, when Hank ran away from home and became Captain Sunshine's new Wonder Boy. And Tim Burton said that was one of the reasons why he didn't use Robin in his Batman movies.

What happens is, people have this ridiculous need to read things that were never meant to be there in the first place into the dumbest things. To whit, Charles Schultz never meant any of his characters to be gay, but some idiots somewhere together put two and two together to equal five, and decide that, despite evidence to the contrary, Peppermint Patty and Marcie must be gay, as one example.

When they made the live action Scooby Doo movies about 15 or whatever it was years ago, the original script for the first one apparently had a lot of a jokes that played off the innuendo and fan speculation about the characters. This apparently included some blatant references to Velma being gay, with her and Daphne sharing an on-screen kiss. But once the movie got cast, there was some kind of shake up, it was decided the movie needed to "family orientated", and most of the "adult oriented humor" was dropped. So this isn't something people have been talking about for at least a couple decades now, if not longer.

And it's not just cartoon/comic book/comic strip characters. I remember once seeing a list of "gay moments" in Doctor Who, which included at least one instance where the Second Doctor and Jaime are seen holding hands briefly. They also cited the example of Eldrad, from The Hand Of Fear serial, who is first seen with a very female appearance, then later has a decidedly more masculine appearance (ie implying a transgender thing going on). Then there's the occasionally overly effeminate male characters, and in one episode, an actor is seen wearing a pink t-shirt under jacket or button up shirt, that's buttoned in such a fashion as to reveal just a triangle of the under shirt (hence, the viewer sees a large pink triangle on the actor's chest).

On Are You Being Served?, there was a lot of speculation about Mr. Humphries sexuality, though that was clearly intentional, on the part of the production team, as that show was full of double entendres of various sorts.

And then there's at least one website where it's theorized that Tom Cruise's character in whichever movie (probably Top Gun, I can't be bothered to look for the page again) is actually gay.

But people are always dreaming up weird theories about fiction. The most classic example is perhaps the Tommy Westphall Universe Hypothesis. On the show St. Elsewhere, the son of the head doctor is an autistic boy, Tommy Westphall. The final scene of the last episode of the series is generally interpreted as the entire series taking place in the mind of the autistic boy. Since there were numerous allusions and crossovers to various other shows, it's believed by some that all these TV shows (which includes everything from The Bob Newhart Show to The White Shadow to the Law And Order to Cheers to possibly even Doctor Who) all take place within the mind of Tommy Westphall. This theory is prevalent that some philosophy professor somewhere at I forget which university even wrote a paper refuting it!

SO yeah, there's a lot of geeks and dorks out there, with no social lives, lots of time on their hands, and nothing better to do than to dream of ridiculous non-canonical ideas about the private lives of their favorite fictitious characters.

And then there's at least one website where it's theorized that Tom Cruise's character in whichever movie (probably Top Gun, I can't be bothered to look for the page again) is actually gay.
    There's a movie where Quentin Tarantino riffs on this at a party, slashing Cruise's character with Val Kilmer's. Actually finding subtext in Top Gun isn't too hard. Playboy's original review of the film referred to it as "a homoerotic tribute to the US Navy".

You want to talk about academics riffing on pop culture, the all-time champ has to be Buffy. Volumes of papers, elective classes, etc. Whedon does subtext and allegory better than most.

There's tons of material written on why people write fan fiction (and its darker companion: slash). It is a good place for fledgling writers to get their start. But a lot of gay writers find it liberating to write slash, to tell tales that aren't getting told using universes created in pop culture. Some creators encourage it, some are horrified. JK Rowling says fan fic is fine as long as there's no sex. The TV show Supernatural routinely tosses bones to the crazier element of its audience. George RR Martin forbids fan fic, saying it is his universe and no one can play in it until he's done (yeah, good luck with that). The fandom with the most craziness right now is Sherlock, which got thrown into riot mode with the final episode that got aired weeks ago.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Oh yeah, and I forgot about the recording I heard, where someone cut together clips of Shatner and Nimoy so it sounded like Kirk and Spock were having a gay affair.

(and that reminds me of the recording of Ronald and Nancy Reagan that was recut so it would sound like they were admitting to be drug users and were advocating the use of hard drugs)

According to Wikipedia, there's apparently a lot of fanfic that deal with Kirk and Spock...uh, having intimate relations.

Apparently, there's a footnote in the novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, where Kirk talks about the rumor about him and Spock:

"I was never aware of this 'lovers' rumor, although I have been told that Spock encountered it several times. Apparently, he had always dismissed it with his characteristic lifting of his right eyebrow, which usually connoted some combination of surprise, disbelief, and/or annoyance. As for myself... I have always found my best gratification in that creature called woman. Also, I would not like to be thought of as being so foolish that I would select a love partner who came into sexual heat only once every seven years."

Meanwhile, David Gerrold, author of the classic The Trouble With Tribbles episode once said:

"One of the truths I've been telling lately is that Kirk and Spock are not lovers... they're not even boyfriends. They're just good friends. This has offended a whole subculture that is convinced they are... I was at a convention in Milwaukee a few weeks ago. This lady comes up to me with this stuff, and after a thirty minute discussion, I finally said, 'Stop! We're arguing over whether or not two fictitious characters are getting their hands in each others' pants.'"
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 02-08-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Oh yeah, and I forgot about the recording I heard, where someone cut together clips of Shatner and Nimoy so it sounded like Kirk and Spock were having a gay affair.

(and that reminds me of the recording of Ronald and Nancy Reagan that was recut so it would sound like they were admitting to be drug users and were advocating the use of hard drugs)

According to Wikipedia, there's apparently a lot of fanfic that deal with Kirk and Spock...uh, having intimate relations.

Apparently, there's a footnote in the novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, where Kirk talks about the rumor about him and Spock:

"I was never aware of this 'lovers' rumor, although I have been told that Spock encountered it several times. Apparently, he had always dismissed it with his characteristic lifting of his right eyebrow, which usually connoted some combination of surprise, disbelief, and/or annoyance. As for myself... I have always found my best gratification in that creature called woman. Also, I would not like to be thought of as being so foolish that I would select a love partner who came into sexual heat only once every seven years."

Meanwhile, David Gerrold, author of the classic The Trouble With Tribbles episode once said:

"One of the truths I've been telling lately is that Kirk and Spock are not lovers... they're not even boyfriends. They're just good friends. This has offended a whole subculture that is convinced they are... I was at a convention in Milwaukee a few weeks ago. This lady comes up to me with this stuff, and after a thirty minute discussion, I finally said, 'Stop! We're arguing over whether or not two fictitious characters are getting their hands in each others' pants.'"
    Spock is incapable of the range of human emotions that would allow for such a relationship. Besides, Kirk was too busy boning every female alien he happened upon.

I have some characters based on actual musicians I like, but I would not call it "fan fiction" so much as "borrowing" or "being influenced".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spock is incapable of the range of human emotions that would allow for such a relationship. Besides, Kirk was too busy boning every female alien he happened upon.
    Actually, I think Vulcans are capable of a full range of emotions, it's just that they think it's illogical to express said feelings in front of people. I think a bigger issue for Kirk would be that the pahn-farr only comes around once every seven Earth years.

But Spock is HALF-human. He chooses to be more Vulcan than human but you'd think that human side would be sprouting wood on a consistent basis. Maybe it was all for Nurse Chapel.

If you want to talk about the warped interests that people have, there one that I think is far worse than questioning the sexuality of cartoon characters or pairing characters from TV shows. The obsession with celebrities and their spawning. My wife had Entertainment Tonight on last night and it was announced that George Clooney's wife was expecting twins. And my wife said, "here we go" - meaning it was going to be nonstop insanity from entertainment shows and supermarket tabloids. It'll make the Kardashians look like AA baseball. And why? Why the fuck do people give one shit about the delivering and raising of celebrity crotch fruit?

Yes, it's 5:00 am and I have insomnia. Why do you ask?

If you want to talk about the warped interests that people have, there one that I think is far worse than questioning the sexuality of cartoon characters or pairing characters from TV shows. The obsession with celebrities and their spawning. My wife had Entertainment Tonight on last night and it was announced that George Clooney's wife was expecting twins. And my wife said, "here we go" - meaning it was going to be nonstop insanity from entertainment shows and supermarket tabloids. It'll make the Kardashians look like AA baseball. And why? Why the fuck do people give one shit about the delivering and raising of celebrity crotch fruit?
    Well, yeah, all the tabloid stuff is kind of, I dunno. I mean every time I see a thing on Facebook saying somebody is getting divorced, I think "So what?!". I mean, I'm never going to have a chance with Kaylee Cuoco, so SO WHAT if she's single again?!

But Spock is HALF-human. He chooses to be more Vulcan than human but you'd think that human side would be sprouting wood on a consistent basis. Maybe it was all for Nurse Chapel.

Yes, it's 5:00 am and I have insomnia. Why do you ask?
    I hate that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Live long and prosper, bitches.....

It's not even 8:00 ET Vic, PACE YOURSELF!

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Y aknow who else I've always wondered about? James Bond and Felix Liter. There's that line in Thunderball, where Felix says, "On you, everything looks good". Always made me wonder.

What were we even talking about?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    RIP Lennie Weinrib (original voice of Scrappy Doo)

(He died in 2006 but I just heard.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What were we even talking about?
    Whether or not TV characters have exciting sex lives. Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    RIP Lennie Weinrib (original voice of Scrappy Doo)

(He died in 2006 but I just heard.)
    With all due respect, Scrappy Doo was one of the dumbest ideas in the history of Hanna Barbera (perhaps bested only by Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park).