Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Styx drummer sued for throwing drumstick into audience

Styx drummer sued for throwing drumstick into audience

Gotta watch out for flying drumsticks these days:

Styx drummer Todd Sucherman is being sued for "negligently throwing a drumstick into the audience" at a Styx concert in Atlanta. The drumstick apparently hit a woman in the face, causing "physical scars, emotional anguish and loss of enjoyment of life”. The suit alleges that Sucherman didn’t give “timely and proper warning to allow (the woman) to fully protect herself from injury". She is suing for medical costs, loss of income, and punitive damages.

Lawsuit is here: https://www.scribd.com/document/3380...ons#from_embed

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    But she kept the drumstick.

Jefferson James
    What a renegade.

She definitely has too much time on her hands. Maybe even a "sour" madame blue...and she is certainly no lady!

Collateral damage. Rock 'n roll is dangerous.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for such a lawsuit to occur. I'm surprised nobody's ever sued guitarists who throw picks or the remnants of smashed guitars (paging Ritchie Blackmore and Paul Stanley) into an audience.

The drumstick apparently hit a woman in the face, causing "physical scars, emotional anguish and loss of enjoyment of life”.
    Why wasn't she watching? Sucherman should counter-sue her for texting at his concert.

I guess it wasn't the best of times for her. You never know when one of those styx will hit you in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    But she kept the drumstick.
    And the wing and the thigh.

"Coming in on a wing and a thigh"?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for such a lawsuit to occur. I'm surprised nobody's ever sued guitarists who throw picks or the remnants of smashed guitars (paging Ritchie Blackmore and Paul Stanley) into an audience.
    Paul Stanley was sued and it settled. For some time KISS stopped throwing guitar picks and sticks into the crowd. Paul no longer tosses his broken guitar into the crowd. He hasn't thrown the pieces into the crowd in over 10 years. Back in '86 on the Asylum tour, I got hold of the neck of the guitar he threw into the crowd. One of the strings wrapped around my finger and was slicing through... blood squirting out. I grabbed the other guy who was holding the lower portion and I told him, "guitar is yours; I want my finger." I still have that scar.

Now, Paul Stanley sells the broken guitar, personally autographed along with a meet n greet after the show. If you have $5,500.00, it too could be yours. $3000 gets you his stage-used microphone with the same perks.

Here's an example of what you can buy at each show:

http://paulstanleyguitars.com/tourdates/tulsa-oklahoma/

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Paul Stanley was sued and it settled. For some time KISS stopped throwing guitar picks and sticks into the crowd. Paul no longer tosses his broken guitar into the crowd. He hasn't thrown the pieces into the crowd in over 10 years.
    Without reiterating my thoughts vis-a-viz the last 17 years of Kiss, I didn't know he had stopped tossing guitars into the crowd, or that he had been sued. Actually, from what I recall at the shows that I saw 1996-2000, he didn't so much toss the guitars into the crowd, as sort of hand them into the front row, like he was trying to take care to not do anything that could injure someone. I remember him wrapping the tailpiece and strings around the necks, for instance. If you just winged that into the crowd, that would definitely be a lawsuit waiting to happen.
    Back in '86 on the Asylum tour, I got hold of the neck of the guitar he threw into the crowd. One of the strings wrapped around my finger and was slicing through... blood squirting out. I grabbed the other guy who was holding the lower portion and I told him, "guitar is yours; I want my finger." I still have that scar.
    I don't blame you. Besides, you got enough Kiss swag as it is!
    Now, Paul Stanley sells the broken guitar, personally autographed along with a meet n greet after the show. If you have $5,500.00, it too could be yours. $3000 gets you his stage-used microphone with the same perks.
    So I wonder if that was his idea, or Gene's.

Personally, I'd rather have one of Ace's smoking pickup Les Pauls, or one of his "lights" guitars, but I realize those aren't on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by progcd54 View Post
    She definitely has too much time on her hands. Maybe even a "sour" madame blue...and she is certainly no lady!
    Yeah, when I look in my crystal ball I think that mademoiselle would be fooling herself with her grand illusions if she thought she could actually extract many pieces of eight from him..

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I know. Imagine getting clocked upside the head with a Stratocaster. You can't expect that every single concert attendee is watching and paying attention to everything that's happening on stage at any given moment, with all the cheering, moshing, whatever. It's gotta hurt (a Strat upside the head).

Rock'n Roll - what did she expect?

Has Iggy ever been sued for throwing himself into the audience?
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

That's what can happen if you don't pay attention.
    Whether she wins or loses, the bitch should be banned from rock shows.
    Sucherman is a very talented drummer and a really nice person............this lady is just looking for a quick payday.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Why wasn't she watching? Sucherman should counter-sue her for texting at his concert.
    We'll probably be able to see her video on YouTube later today

Back in '86 on the Asylum tour, I got hold of the neck of the guitar he threw into the crowd. One of the strings wrapped around my finger and was slicing through... blood squirting out. I grabbed the other guy who was holding the lower portion and I told him, "guitar is yours; I want my finger." I still have that scar.
    Dude, that is so metal!

Of course he does.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Surprised this didn't happen a long time ago. You really can't see them coming at you, in most cases.

I remember seeing Leslie West several years ago with Corky Laing on drums. Great drummer, who I had never seen before, but always wanted to. He was literally pelting people with drum sticks. Turns out that he's a total asshole who, apparently, never grew up. Very disappointing.

My first concert was Rush during AFtK tour. Neil threw his drumstick into the crowd. It hit one of the girls we were with right in the face and we both grabbed it before it fell to the ground. Feeling sorry for her, I let her have it. Big mistake.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "I thought that they were angels, but to my surprise, they whipped me in the face with a drumstick and headed for the skies!"

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    From now on, they shall be referred to as DrumStyx.
    Chad

[Feeling sorry for her, I let her have it. Big mistake.]

No, I think in that situation you did the right thing.

Bet she ain't no Miss America.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I feel moved to provide a link to the Cleveland Stadium paper airplane correspondence:

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/02...complaint.html

James N. Bailey is probably retired now, otherwise he should really be representing Todd in this BS suit.

She is lucky he did not throw a cymbal at her. One can lose the head! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk