Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your fav solo acoustic guitar album (pick one!)

My favorite record would be a compilation of my favorite acoustic guitarists : Davy Graham , Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, Ralph Towner, Leo Kottke but just for one single record I choose Pat Metheny's baritone guitar record : One Quiet Night

Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm also personally very fond of Andy Bole's Ramshackle Pier from '84, which I've been listening to with astonished enthusiasm since AdHoc reissued it more than a decade back.
    Seconded, big time.I recently bought Ramshackle Pier and it's the real deal.Highly recommended.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

This may be outside the scope of the thread because there is some electric on this track and the cd.In any event, a lovely tune and cd,by Marisa Anderson, here's the title track from her latest cd.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Holy krap. That Kottke stuff is just amazing.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    Btw, I should note that in some places this album has some percussion and synth sounds, and so, I should admit it's technically not "solo acoustic guitar" everywhere, but it's very much an acoustic guitar driven/centered album -- in fact, if I remember correctly, there's a single acoustic guitar (rather than two or more) in each song, and so, very much "solo" in that respect. The limited percussion and synth of the album are there to mainly add color -- the solo acoustic guitar is basically the main event.
    One of Di Meola's best efforts, imo. The title track is a great dark journey with some superb accompaniment from Airto on vocal and percussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Holy krap. That Kottke stuff is just amazing.
    Leo is one of a kind! His rhythmic drive, slide playing, and intricate melodies are second to none. Everything he recorded for Capitol, and Chrysalis is worth picking up. And I like My Father's Face from his Private Music catalog. There's a tune towards the end of the 6 & 12 album where you can hear the genesis of Michael Hedges's style. He was a huge Kottke fan.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Off the top of me head, i'll say Pierre Bensusan's debut album, Pres De Paris.Mind blowing technique and chops,with taste and craftsmanship thrown in for good measure.All this at the age of 17!!!

*There are other players on a couple of tracks.
    In case you don't know Pierre is on a US tour right now. I saw him last Sunday here in Maryland and it was superb! His rendition of Intuite, an homage to the great Munir Bachir, from the 2000 album of the same name was absolutely mind-blowing and has evolved into even more a technical marvel since the recording. It was amazing how he made his steel string sound like an oud.

He is also made himself available to his fans and radiates warmth, ease and charm. It was such a pleasure to me him. I bought his guitar book and his DADGAD DVD masterclasss video. It was a great evening.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-07-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Between Earth and Sky - Robin Bullock

Lots of great music to listen to in this thread.
    Here's a link to track by Cyril Pahinui from an album titled Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters that I have enjoyed for many years.

Definitely agree on the Leo Kottke and Michael Hedges albums. I don't think I've seen a mention of Roy Harper's Stormcock...

Or Nick Drake's Five Leaves Left...

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Bob Dylan. First album. My favorite solo, acoustic album. Great album.

Not really Solo, but I really enjoy Strunz and Farah - Americas or Heat of the sun.

I used to have an Anthony Phillips album of solo 12 string guitar pieces that I really enjoyed. Each piece was for a month of the year. Can't remember the title and it disappeared when I moved 10 years ago.

John McLaughlin - My Goal's Beyond
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I used to have an Anthony Phillips album of solo 12 string guitar pieces that I really enjoyed. Each piece was for a month of the year. Can't remember the title and it disappeared when I moved 10 years ago.
    I have that album. I always wished he used different guitars for the different months. 55 minutes of 12 string guitar is a bit too much 12 string for my tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    For something a little more vintage, try out Andrés Segovia’s Guitar Solos from 1949. It’s exquisite! His version of “El testamen de n’Amelia” is the definitive one for my ears. Oh, how I wish I was good enough to do that song justice!

That's the one!!!
    The Prog Corner

The Mountain Goats Sweden

Just a guy, a guitar, a cassette recorder and a slew of brilliant songs...
    The Prog Corner

We have already named 2 of the original American primitivists, so let's add the final one, Robbie Basho, whom I have always loved.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.