Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your fav solo acoustic guitar album (pick one!)

Not claiming this as best, and I don't have a favourite, but this might interest people. The whole album is pretty remarkable.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    The first one to come to mind, is,

Ralph Towner-Solo Concert

God, listening to that it REALLY makes me wish I had my 12-string here. Sadly, I have to wait until early July before I can play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post

Too many ... !.

Right now, it is:
    Derek Bailey / Ballads.
    Another good album by 3 greatest:

- Bill Frisell + Marc Ribot & Tim Sparks.

Masada Guitars. (2003).

http://www.tzadik.com/index.php?catalog=7171
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I repete myself when under stress...

Feliu Gasull is outstanding and Pic del Migdia indeed a very great release, although still - to me - not as monumental as his legendary record with J.A. Amargos.

Several of the previous mentions in here (Kottke, Towner, Fahey) sit squarely as faves, as do solo albums by Marc Ribot, Paolo Angeli and Jim O'Rourke.

I'm also personally very fond of Andy Bole's Ramshackle Pier from '84, which I've been listening to with astonished enthusiasm since AdHoc reissued it more than a decade back.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This one's a bit of an odd duck, in that all of the (excellent) bottleneck guitar solos are performed on very primitive guitars constructed by Peter Finger!

Ralph Towner - Diary

"It's a solo performance with a twist: Towner plays not only 12-string and classical guitars, but also very competent piano... Towner accompanies himself via overdubs, playing both guitar and piano for an effect vaguely reminiscent of Bill Evans' Conversations with Myself"
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Another music genre that I love as much as prog is contemporary Celtic Music. The region of Brittany in north west France remains a area still rich with Celtic culture. My favorite guitarist from that region is Soig Siberil who is a legend among Celtic music circles. He has been in many bands from Brittany, but is especially remembered as a member of the legendary group Kornog. IMO the way he interprets the music of Brittany is magical and mesmerizing. Here are a few examples from his 2009 album Botcanou:

Last edited by AncientChord; 02-02-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Like many have said "Way too many" (Great picks thus far)

But this album is a desert island classic for me and was instrumental (pun intended) in me strongly moving into the acoustic guitar direction

John Renbourne - The Black Balloon
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Like many have said "Way too many" (Great picks thus far)

But this album is a desert island classic for me and was instrumental (pun intended) in me strongly moving into the acoustic guitar direction

John Renbourne - The Black Balloon
    Oh yeah. Most of Renbourne's solo albums are great! And he to was a master of interpreting many old tunes from the Celtic realms. I was lucky enough to see him doing a solo set at a Celtic music festival in Northern California about ten years ago. Also a big influence on me.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Andy McKee.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

John Fahey - Dance of Death album

Will Ackerman - It Takes a Year

Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"The Bricklayer's Beautiful Daughter" is quite possibly the prettiest tune ever written for guitar.

For something a little more vintage, try out Andrés Segovia’s Guitar Solos from 1949. It’s exquisite! His version of “El testamen de n’Amelia” is the definitive one for my ears. Oh, how I wish I was good enough to do that song justice!

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

A long forgotten album chock full of beautiful melodies. It was re-issued by Windham Hill in the early 80s. I have a vinyl copy. Nylon string solo guitar compositions.

Davy Graham "Folk, Blues & Beyond"

Talking about groundbreaking...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Anthony Phillips - Field Day, easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post

A long forgotten album chock full of beautiful melodies. It was re-issued by Windham Hill in the early 80s. I have a vinyl copy. Nylon string solo guitar compositions.
    Great album. I bought it on vinyl and then found a cd copy of it and had to have it.

Alex De Grassi made a few good albums including Turning Turning Back, Slow Circle. Southern Exposure, The Water Garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Andy McKee.
    Absolutely!!! He's really incredible. I've gone to see him live a couple of times. Just amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Great album. I bought it on vinyl and then found a cd copy of it and had to have it.

Alex De Grassi made a few good albums including Turning Turning Back, Slow Circle. Southern Exposure, The Water Garden.
    Yeah! De Grassi is a great player. I have those on vinyl, and a compilation CD.

OK, I know it's a duo, but I'll take anything by Rodrigo y Gabriela.

Cielo e terra, by Al Di Meola

And by the way:
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    My fav is Winterreise by Hajo Weber & Ulrich Ingenbold, released on ECM in 1982.
    Quickly listened to a few different small parts of that first tune/video --- I think they were similar in style to (especially acoustic) Al Di Meola. Especially his album "Cielo e Terra". So, I'd suggest checking out that album by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    Cielo e terra, by Al Di Meola.
    Btw, I should note that in some places this album has some percussion and synth sounds, and so, I should admit it's technically not "solo acoustic guitar" everywhere, but it's very much an acoustic guitar driven/centered album -- in fact, if I remember correctly, there's a single acoustic guitar (rather than two or more) in each song, and so, very much "solo" in that respect. The limited percussion and synth of the album are there to mainly add color -- the solo acoustic guitar is basically the main event.