Thread: Rockn 'n' Roll Inventions show on Smithsonian

Rockn 'n' Roll Inventions show on Smithsonian

Apologies if someone already started a thread about this show - I did a search on "Inventions" but didn't see anything.

Anyway, for those with access to the Smithsonian channel, you might want to check out the show "Rock 'n' Roll Inventions". I just stumbled upon it last night as they aired episode 3, "Sultans of Sound", which focused on studio technology. It mostly told the history of how single track mono recording evolved into multi-track stereo recording. Lots of sound bites from famous musicians and producers.

Prog content included a couple quick bits from Rick Wakeman, including him saying that he loved the minimoog so much he would have married it if the law allowed. Hugh Padgham told the story of how the "gated drum" sound was accidentally invented while he worked with Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins.

Next week's episode is "Rise of Keyboards" and looks to include more Wakeman:

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sh...004509/3437419
    Last edited by Ground and Sky's Ghost; 01-31-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

Last night's episode here was about Abbey Road and the Capital Records studios....I did not watch it as I was otherwise busy.......I know it will re-air soon enough......looks like a pretty interesting series.
    G.A.S -aholic

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Last night's episode here was about Abbey Road and the Capital Records studios....I did not watch it as I was otherwise busy.......I know it will re-air soon enough......looks like a pretty interesting series.
    Yeah, that's the one I saw. They talked a lot about the Beatles' use of early multi-track recording at Abbey Road, and how Capital Records was the first studio built specifically for stereo recording.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

An interesting show. Episode one was the inventions that allowed the public to listen to music (radio, 78's, 33's, 45's, Wlakman, CDs, etc.). Epi two was the electric guitar.

Saw part of the guitar episode the other night, want to check out the keyboard one next week.