Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP John Wetton

He fought valiantly right up until the end. Never gave up, even planned on doing the Journey tour. If it were up to him, I bet he would've happily drawn his last breath on stage, doing what he was born to do. We should all follow his example. Rest in peace, dear man. Your music will live for eternity.

Banned

RIP

King Crimson...UK...Asia...Roxy Music...Steve Hackett...Brian Ferry...Uriah Heap...Family...Wishbone Ash...and SO MANY MANY more. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! You will be missed!!!

RIP Mr. John Kenneth Wetton (If there's a rock 'n roll heaven, ya know they got a hell of a band!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ^^ Î think he played VERY loud to get that tone. I love it!
    John spent the next few years in King Crimson as part of the monster rhythm section with Bill Bruford.
    "There wasn’t that many people doing that kind of stuff at that time. It was quite experimental but in fact the more work we did on the road, we turned into a kind of metal rhythm section, that was just crazy. We were much louder than the main instruments and a bit more muscle too. Bill was at the time, and he still is if he wanted to put his mind to it, one of the greatest rock drummers ever. We toured nonstop yet as the mover van toured around, the more people we shed. One guy in the middle of the British tour, then another at the end of an American tour, in the end there was just three of us, but we made a pretty impressive noise for three people!"

These impressive noises can be heard on the excellent 4CD live set The Great Deceiver (Virgin 1992)
    “There’s a moment for me, when you get to “Peace – A Theme” played on an acoustic guitar and it leads into “Cat Food”, the bass is just so loud! But why not? At that point it’s a lead instrument. We pretty much turned everything on its head as far as how one perceives a rock band being mixed. It was a great experience and it stopped about 20 years prematurely for my liking. I could have gone on with that a long, long time.“
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I first bought S & BB in the late 70s, but it wasn't until the Great Deceiver set that I really developed my appreciation for the man's talent, approach, and sound. Add the voice to that and you have an inimitable package, like his contemporaries who preceded him, Mssrs Squire and Lake. All left monumental footprints, and I'll always be grateful to have shared my time on the planet with them. RIP
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Like many of you, I'm not surprised by this terrible news. I wake up and log in to PE almost every morning before starting work and for the last few months I have breathed a sigh of relief every day when I did not see this announcement.

Until today. So here it is. Shit.

RIP John. John has been more central to my musical development than almost any other musician from that day in 1980 when I walked into a used record shop, found S&BB, asked the clerk to play it. That voice that came booming out of the speakers, along with Fripp's guitar runs: I knew I had discovered a new world. Subsequently I sought out everything I could JW up to that point. UK. Asia. I loved it all. Still do.

RIP

I own a copy of The Tokyo Tapes DVD with Hackett.
    Wetton is an awesome force in this performance.

He and Bruford were the best of the KC line-ups..............as another post reflected, the golden era.
    The debut UK album is still one of my favorites of all prog releases................amazing work.............again with Bruford.

RIP.

A great loss, saw him with UK and the first Asia tour. RIP.

This one hurts. This one REALLY, REALLY hurts. I was just listening to "Without You" yesterday which popped up on my lunch time walk around the lake near where I work and was marveling at how much I still loved John's voice on that song. And I feel terrible for what Carl Palmer has gone through in the last year. Today is difficult.

RIP John.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Deeply saddened by this news. I once enjoyed a very entertaining, lengthy, and borderline slanderous conversation with John Wetton at the Bar of the Cellar Club in South Shields before a gig there with his solo band back in 1996. Difficult to believe these days that a musician of that calibre could be so generous with his time, so candid in his comments - about his own failings as much as anybody else's, and just so damn personable. He then hit the stage and just tore the place apart - and yet still found the time to recognise and ask me what I thought of the gig when he was signing cds, etc. after the show. Another great has left the theatre, and we're all poorer for it. RIP.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The Prog Corner

I'm so very sad about John's passing. I feel very fortunate to have seen him several times in recent years here in New York city, both with the reformed UK on 3 occasions, and with Asia on their past 2 tours. His voice and presence were powerful at all these performances. He truly was a giant as a musician, singer, and man.

I meet him only once. He made a small grain like me feel worthy standing next to him. With all the recent lose, the walls of my heart are like paper. I'm so torn by this. RIP Mr. Wetton, and my never ending gratitude.
    The older I get, the better I was.

I was very saddened to hear the news of John's passing this morning. He was one of my favorite bass players and singers and unfortunately I never got to see him play live. RIP

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    This is a major blow. We all knew John had his battles with cancer, but we wanted to believe he was invincible. Even his message after his most recent treatment was very positive. His voice will always be one of my favorites. It was such an honor to host John as part of the U.K. at the final NEARfest. I will never forget meeting him backstage when he arrived and giving him the nickel tour. His "wry wit," as Geoff Downes put it, was quite evident in our conversation as we attempted to locate our production manager, Kevin Feeley. My lasting musical memory of John will be watching him play the that fantastic off-kilter baseline in the middle of "Red" live.

Rest in peace and ride easy...
    Chad

Very sad news, but unfortunately not unexpected. I wish his family condolences at this time, and hope they have many years of happy memories to keep them going.

I got to meet Wetton twice, after shows (UK, and solo at the Iridium in NYC). Very quiet person, but very willing to have a bit of a chat, sign some CDs, and pose for a photo.

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Wow. Just saw this.

RIP
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

RIP. Red is my favorite KC album, in large part because of the bass and vocal.

Picky with my males singers but he was in my top 5----and he seemed like a great guy----RIP

Shed more tears this morning...Saw John many times, the most recent being the last UK reunion and with District 97. His voice was as powerful as ever and always hit the spot with me. As an old guy in this musical world, the RIP's are becoming routine. This one really hurts...RIP John
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Very sad! I remember seeing him at the last NEARfest performing a song by himself. I did not stay for the whole set (in fact, I had actually left and then returned, then left again), but that one song was beautiful! I am so glad I saw it!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

RIP.... i thought he was getting better with the announcement of the Asia tour.
    between KC, Asia and his solo work- he left us a great collection of songs.
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 01-31-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Also, I have to say-Wetton's voice was spectacular. You do not hear anyone sing with an actual solid voice these days unless you go exploring for it. It's all either goat men, whiney guys or falsettos that sound very painful.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"