Thread: Gong Expresso's forthcoming album featuring Hansford Rowe and Benoit Moerlen

Gong Expresso's forthcoming album featuring Hansford Rowe and Benoit Moerlen

In case you're unware, Hansford and Benoit are reigniting the spirit of Pierre Moerlen's Gong with their new band Gong Expresso. They're making a new album called Decadence right now and have a PledgeMusic campaign to fund it. You can details here: http://www.pledgemusic.com/projects/hr3

excellent news!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Oh Yeah, I'll be all over this...thx for sharing.
    G.A.S -aholic

Way cool! Some good news as well!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

That's odd. A few weeks ago I posted this news too (see http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...highlight=rowe) but then it was called HRIII, a soloalbum by Hansford Rowe. As you can see in the URL, it's the same pledge, but they changed the name. I guess Rowe didn't get enough pledgers for his own work. I've hesitated too, because the starting pledges are a lot more expensive than usual: $35 (incl. shipping) for a CD. Well, this quote explains the story:
    Hansford Rowe’s HRIII merges with Gong Expresso. Gong alumni Francois Causse and Benoit Moerlen and Hansford Rowe join HRIII guitarist Julien Sandiford for the recording of the new album by Gong Expresso titled Decadence.

^^ I'm in! The CD pledge is down to $20 now. And Hansford explains the "merger" of the two bands in the video.

I saw Hanny and Benoit with Gongzilla a decade ago. They knocked my socks off.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Hanny and Bon played an intimate gig in my town in '99. We were two of six attendees. I love fusion-era Gong and Gongzilla (as well as Project Lo) so this is a no-brainer.

I seem to remember seeing them with Happy Rhodes and about 10 people in the audience... great show however!

Love the fusion-era Gong and Gongzilla as well and indeed, those Project Lo-albums are wonderful. Would have loved to see Bon Lozaga on this one too, but well, you can't have it all.
    For me the CD-pledge is still $35, but I guess in the USA it's a lot lower because of the high shipping-costs to Europe.

Funny thing is that when you've pledged you get a free download of the track Ambivalence (quite jazzy), which is still credited as HRIII.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    cool news
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Pledgers got a download today of a wonderful 1979-live recording of Three Blind Mice featuring Allan Holdsworth! Wonderful.

99% and five days left.

I think I may have just pushed them over the top.

You did, it says 101% now!

thanks!

Nice. Look forward to it.

I am very interested. PM's Gong is one of my favorite groups ever.

Received Decadence yesterday and have listened to it a couple of times.
    It's eeeeh.... different than you would expect from a band with this history. I guess that's partly because Julien Sandiford, the young guitarist, is the main composer (5 of 8).
    The music is quite relaxed, jazzy, with sometimes a Gong-related atmosphere when Benoit Moerlen touches his marimba or vibraphone.

hmm... they've always been a bit laid back in an Oldfield sorta way... is this even more mellow?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Received Decadence yesterday and have listened to it a couple of times.
    It's eeeeh.... different than you would expect from a band with this history. I guess that's partly because Julien Sandiford, the young guitarist, is the main composer (5 of 8).
    The music is quite relaxed, jazzy, with sometimes a Gong-related atmosphere when Benoit Moerlen touches his marimba or vibraphone.
    Damn, that sounds disappointing. I was looking forward to this and wondering when it would be released. thx for that.... Anxious to hear this, not as anxious to purchase it.....

I too was disappointed. Modern jazz for sure, but not at all like the PM Gong is was purported to be...

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    hmm... they've always been a bit laid back in an Oldfield sorta way... is this even more mellow?
    Yes. Although my post might suggest I'm also disappointed, I'm not. It's just different from what one would expect, so you could say they suprised us ;-)