Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Bootleg Title

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    My favorite was always "Yes - The Affirmery - A Passing Inevitable - A Quantum Disregard."
    I have that one

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Isn't there a heap of Zappa bootlegs with funny titles?
    I always liked this one

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    Undoubtedly, Pink Floyd "The Dark Side of the Moo".
    I have that one, too, and several others mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Hendrix... Woke up this Morning and found myself Dead.
    Not really a bootleg.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I know there was a big bootleg boxset called Mystery Box, but I never had the 100 bucks needed to buy it. .
    https://s28.postimg.org/q6j1h8ye5/mysterybox.png (huge pic)

Deep Purple - Perks And Tit.

I don't know what it means either.

The Callow,The Crash and Idle Eyes. An ELP boot with Star Trek outtakes. What could be better?😀😂

Here are some Zappa bootleg titles (not already mentioned): Mr. Green's Genes, Pig's n' Repugnant, Disconnected Synapses, Freaks and Motherfu*#@%!, Fire! (the infamous concert that lead to Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water), No Bacon for Breakfast, Conceptional Continuity, Tits, Boot the Beats (Zappa released a bunch of bootlegs as Beat the Boots), As An Am, Whats Why, Thighs, All You Need is Glove, Fits Your 34B No Matter
    Which 43B You Are and Listen ... and find out the SECRET WORD !!!

Here are some Genesis bootleg titles: Albert Back in NYC, And Then They Were Here, Digesting England, Duke's Misunderstanding, Follow Me Follow You, Perpetual Soundwave, Something Solid Forming, Take a Running Jump '74, Invisible Cage, and The Lamb Lies Down in ____ (several cities can be filled in here).

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Boot the Beats (Zappa released a bunch of bootlegs as Beat the Boots)
    The Doors released a set of their own bootlegs called Boot Yer Butt.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

That Lennon title is a winner.

I've got a digital copy of a Stones boot called the Black Box. The cover art is of a man in a very posh three piece suit...with a large uncircumcised member hanging out of his fly. It just seems quite appropriate.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I have the first two ELP official bootleg boxes, and they have kept the original names of the boots on the individual CDs.

THE IRIDESCENT CONCUBINE
    CELESTIAL DOGGIE: THE LOBSTER QUADRILLE
    ICONOCLASTIC MADNESS
    WAITING FOR THE CORDUROY PURPOSE
    MY DARLING NEMESIS... THE ILLUMINATI

I get the Iconoclast reference, but otherwise these seem pretty random. Anyone know if these are obscure ELP references or in-jokes? or something?

^ As far as I know, the second one is the only genuine vinyl bootleg title; the others were made up for the box set. "Celestial Doggie" is a Firesign Theatre reference, and "Lobster Quadrille" is from Lewis Carroll.

One amusing ELP bootleg title I do remember is Sukrat.

1974-11-11-FOR_PENGUIN_WHO_HATCH_IN_THE_POLAR_NIGHT-fr.jpg

Caravan : FOR PENGUIN WHO HATCH IN THE POLAR NIGHT
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yes, the famous Aunt Mimi quote!
    What was with that thing of these labels dumping unrelated tracks ('Lady Marmalade' here...Ah yes, I see there's some off-the-cuff recording of it by him.) on the bootlegs? I don't own any of these records but I remember reading about the Bowie Hammersmith '73 one which apparently had some instruction tape about holding an orgy added to it!

Lennon himself collected Beatles bootlegs, I believe! It was claimed (by him!) that the Get Back bootlegs leaked from him playing the acetate to
    someone.

https://www.discogs.com/John-Lennon-.../master/702083

Taste was not exactly paramount. I gather there's a bootleg of The Who's Cincinnati 1979 show which ended in tragedy (not during the show itself...and the band were unaware until after the encore) called Stampede.
    Last edited by JJ88; 04-26-2017 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    What was with that thing of these labels dumping unrelated tracks ('Lady Marmalade' here) on the bootlegs? I don't own any of these records but I remember reading about the Bowie Hammersmith '73 one which apparently had some instruction tape about holding an orgy added to it!
    How is "Lady Marmalade" unrelated? It's Lennon doing it, isn't it?

I do or did have a vinyl Yes bootleg that ended with weird dialog including "Don't never--but never--make fun of no cripple!" from the Monkees movie Head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    But the record isn't. It included the Hendrix version of Day Tripper" (w/ Noel Redding singing) passed off as a Lennon/Hendrix jam.

^There was a time that Lennon was said to be on that BBC session.
    It was rumored (mainly I think due to Redding's vocal impersonation) but not true, at least not according to the liner notes when Rykodisc officially released it.

Far as fake tracks on Beatles boots go, there's lots-- "L.S. Bumble Bee" (by Peter Cook & Dudley Moore) was the title track to one pretty bad Beatles boot. And the notorious "Indian Rope Trick" had a lot of fake stuff on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    ^ As far as I know, the second one is the only genuine vinyl bootleg title; the others were made up for the box set. "Celestial Doggie" is a Firesign Theatre reference, and "Lobster Quadrille" is from Lewis Carroll.
    Yes, you are right. I looked it up on a fan bootleg site. Most of these tapes actually had different names as vinyl boots back in the day. Sure had me fooled, though... Particularly with the totally bootleg-looking cd sleeves. I assumed those, too, were nicked straight from the original boots.

elp_corduroy170.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    That is wonderful! It's the name of a Jan & Dean album from the early 60s. The bootlegger must have been a fan.
    I guess so, it just seemed a strange title to slap on a Pink Floyd bootleg.

There was a Tangerine Dream bootleg, I think of the Royal Albert Hall concert from April 1975, called Coefficient Of Aural Expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Genesis: Swelled and Spent
    Ha, I actually own that one.

Ah yes, I see there's some off-the-cuff recording of it by him.
    I have that record. It's actually a ten-inch disc. And, yes, it's John playing at a party. Completely off-the-cuff, and not very entertaining. More of a curiosity than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    It was rumored (mainly I think due to Redding's vocal impersonation) but not true, at least not according to the liner notes when Rykodisc officially released it.
    I first got a copy of that song on some obscure boot, titled "Day Tripper Jam." The quality was deliberately ruined (which many bootleggers did) to the point that it's totally unlistenable, It wasn't until I got the Hendrix boot "Guitar Hero" that I found a clean recording. Yet, the rumor still persisted. Ryko irresponsibly left the rumor intact in their liner notes in a coy and suggestive manner. I don't have my copy handy, but they alluded to the rumor just enough to make people wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    And the notorious "Indian Rope Trick" had a lot of fake stuff on it.
    Yep, another one I have. It has a couple interesting tracks. It also included "Cheese and Onions" by Neil Innes and the Rutles, on "Saturday Night Live", April 1977.

Another ten-inch Beatles boot I have:

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I first got a copy of that song on some obscure boot, titled "Day Tripper Jam." The quality was deliberately ruined (which many bootleggers did) to the point that it's totally unlistenable, It wasn't until I got the Hendrix boot "Guitar Hero" that I found a clean recording. Yet, the rumor still persisted. Ryko irresponsibly left the rumor intact in their liner notes in a coy and suggestive manner. I don't have my copy handy, but they alluded to the rumor just enough to make people wonder.
    Right. They wrote "And who's that sharing the singing!? Sounds very familiar. One can only imagine..." (their italics).

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yep, another one I have. It has a couple interesting tracks. It also included "Cheese and Onions" by Neil Innes and the Rutles, on "Saturday Night Live", April 1977.
    The fakes on there are "Not Guilty" (not that song, not the Beatles), the Fourmost track (which they say includes Paul, but doesn't) and the versions of Savoy Truffle and Hey Bulldog, which are just one channel of the stereo mix.

This one sits in my boot collection :

doors fat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    This one sits in my boot collection :

doors fat.jpg
    Oh man, that is COLD...