Thread: Bob Drake's Medallion Animal Carpet

Bob Drake's Medallion Animal Carpet

Not sure if this was one of the threads posted last year when all the Drake goodness was happeing - anyway -

I keep finding this one on my ears - Arx Pilosa is amazing and I love it - but I still find myself attached to this one about as much if not still more. So many little amazing moments and I love the flow on it - a great ordering of songs.

This was the first Bob solo I got. "Little amazing moments" and "flow" are reasonable connotations of what's going on here, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a starter to anyone seeking an introduction, as I assume it's also one of his most overall difficult records. The sheer amount of audio activity on this thing is simply staggering.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This was the first Bob solo I got. "Little amazing moments" and "flow" are reasonable connotations of what's going on here, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as a starter to anyone seeking an introduction, as I assume it's also one of his most overall difficult records. The sheer amount of audio activity on this thing is simply staggering.
    Probably why it keeps my attention so much. Funny how I always end up loving the 'difficult' stuff. Just keeps me coming back over and over. Intro... yeah. You can say that again - probably not this one!

The very idea of that album was to string many unrelated ideas together, but rather crudely with really obvious edits etc. Not so many "songs", a lot of "studio construction" pieces and so on. After I put the parts together which I called "Part 1", I added the medley of chaotically-recorded country-ish songs which I'd actually done a year or so earlier and really liked, it fit the character of the album. It's my noisiest for sure, and also wouldn't suggest it as a starting place unless you prefer noisy, dirty, clattery, less song-ey stuff.

BD
    www.bdrak.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    The very idea of that album was to string many unrelated ideas together, but rather crudely with really obvious edits etc. Not so many "songs", a lot of "studio construction" pieces and so on. After I put the parts together which I called "Part 1", I added the medley of chaotically-recorded country-ish songs which I'd actually done a year or so earlier and really liked, it fit the character of the album. It's my noisiest for sure, and also wouldn't suggest it as a starting place unless you prefer noisy, dirty, clattery, less song-ey stuff.

BD
    www.bdrak.com
    Neato! I love when you hit the thread and give cool info like this. It's weird that I dont really think of it as a 'noisy' or 'dirty' album. It just feels great. Thanks for the insight Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Neato! I love when you hit the thread and give cool info like this. It's weird that I dont really think of it as a 'noisy' or 'dirty' album. It just feels great. Thanks for the insight Bob!
    Of COURSE I want to join in when someone brings up my music!
    Another thing I did on this album was use a random sentence generating program designed by an acquaintance of mine to come up with the lyrics, which were deliberately placed very low or faraway in the mix. I tried other ways of "disturbing" the vocals like using broken cables and poor connections.

The random sentence generator was a new exciting thing back then for me, and caused many many painful laughing fits.

BD
    www.bdrak.com