Thread: Dave Kerzner Band & Adrian Belew Power Trio in California

Dave Kerzner Band & Adrian Belew Power Trio in California

I wanted to tell you that my band, the Dave Kerzner Band, will be opening for the legendary Adrian Belew (King Crimson) on March 25th, 2017 at The Rose Theatre in Pasadena, CA! An incredible night of PROG ROCK! I'll be playing songs from "New World" and my new album "Static" with a stellar band including Fernando Perdomo, Matt Dorsey (Sound of Contact) and Derek Cintron! Some great Prog musicians will be there celebrating with us too so it'll be a fun time if you're able to go!

Below is a link to get discounted tickets without the extra fees saving you over HALF the price you'd normally have to pay to see this show (worth it to see Adrian Belew Power Trio alone). So, right now through my bandcamp page it's just $24 instead of over $50! BUT I ONLY HAVE A LIMITED STOCK OF THEM LEFT! Grab them now! This is going to be a killer show! We'll be doing a casual meet & greet hang before and after as well so come introduce yourself.

At the merch desk I'll have a limited stock of Dave Kerzner New World t-shirts made by none other than Progressive Ears founder Sean Tonar! Plus other CDs and my live Blu-ray.

https://sonicelements.bandcamp.com/m...-rose-pasadena

When are you coming to NYC???

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    When are you coming to NYC???
    Good question! I'd love to but this year I'm looking for double bill or open act opportunities to reach new people and expand my audience. I've got a new solo album coming out and then the Sound of Contact album so it all depends on what comes up and make sense. Fernando Perdomo, guitar player in my band, is opening for Adrian the night before with his band and they asked me if I wanted to open on the Saturday night and it took me all of 1 second to say yes to that one (big Crimson fan). We might get to do more dates with them. That would be cool. Otherwise, apart from Cruise To The Edge next week or so which we're playing on, there are no other gigs booked this year. I'm leaving it open but in case I don't tour that much I've got plenty of studio work to do. If we DO end up playing in the Northeast US (or anywhere else) I'll make sure I post about it in the various places on line that I like.

Will the second SOC album ever happen?

Cruise to the Edge always sounds like a great time. Anyway, looking foward to the next SOC album. Really enjoyed the furst one as well as your solo album.

Yes the SOC album is still happening. We were waiting for Simon's solo album to be finished first so that's why we all decided to work on solo albums at this time but we're still working together from our different corners of the world and are in close communication. I've also been talking about Simon guesting on something and visa versa plus Matt Dorsey is joining me with my band on Cruise To The Edge, Kelly is guesting on Simon's album... elements of SOC in clusters have been happening all of this time actually. But, straight up four man SOC follow up to Dimensionaut is coming. Don't know when but some time after Simon's album is out you can expect it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think the first SoC album is really strong/excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think the first SoC album is really strong/excellent.
    Thanks. The new album will be a bit different because it will involve more songwriting from Matt and Kelly. Dimensionaut was mostly written by myself and Simon (hence the keyboard/drum heavy aspect to it as well). You hear more of Matt's style in the song "Cosmic Distance Ladder" and Kelly's style in Part 2 of "Mobius Slip". Now that Simon and I are carrying on doing solo albums (as are the other guys too) there's a good bit of room for us to spread the SOC songwriting around between all four of us. The results are different but great! More guitars balanced with the keys and a cool evolved sound from the previous album. I'm only repeating things we've already said from the initial sessions when we talked about it with Prog magazine over a year ago. Can't really say anything new about it except that it's coming. It's not the main focus at the moment. I'm about to release a new album this year and so is Simon. They're strong records too.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Thanks. The new album will be a bit different because it will involve more songwriting from Matt and Kelly. Dimensionaut was mostly written by myself and Simon (hence the keyboard/drum heavy aspect to it as well). You hear more of Matt's style in the song "Cosmic Distance Ladder" and Kelly's style in Part 2 of "Mobius Slip". Now that Simon and I are carrying on doing solo albums (as are the other guys too) there's a good bit of room for us to spread the SOC songwriting around between all four of us. The results are different but great! More guitars balanced with the keys and a cool evolved sound from the previous album. I'm only repeating things we've already said from the initial sessions when we talked about it with Prog magazine over a year ago. Can't really say anything new about it except that it's coming. It's not the main focus at the moment. I'm about to release a new album this year and so is Simon. They're strong records too.
    Sounds like a interesting mix for the second album. I'll keep my ears open for the solo releases too. It's the SofC is nearly as great as Dimensionaut then we can expect more fine music.

I'll be officially announcing this in the next day or so but we'll also be opening for The Musical Box on Feb 26th at the Saban Theater in LA. Tickets through me are without the extra fees so you save a few bucks and on the night's we're opening you get to see us and TMB in the same night for the same price as any of their other shows with other opening acts that don't have a crazy guitarist who pulls the strings off at the end (let the Wookie win!). Also, half the band WILL be SOC (Matt Dorsey of SOC will be joining me for these gigs). If Simon was in town he'd join us or other surprises. I can only promise you some great nights of Progressive Rock music both old and new! It's up to you guys to get out and enjoy it while supporting it!

Dimensionaut is a very good record in my opinion.
    Solo albums from any band members very rarely turn up being on the same level as the group efforts and your first solo album Dave, always in my opinion (which counts nearly nothing), makes no exception.
    I know Simon has been a solo artist long before being involved in SOC, but i believe the same rule applies to his solo career, because his own albums aren't in the same league as Dimensionaut.

To make a long story short, i hope you don't dissipate your energies too much on solo projects and then dry up your inspiration muses, because it's the whole of your different strengths that might produce in the future a real masterpiece as SOC.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    Dimensionaut is a very good record in my opinion.
    Solo albums from any band members very rarely turn up being on the same level as the group efforts and your first solo album Dave, always in my opinion (which counts nearly nothing), makes no exception.
    I know Simon has been a solo artist long before being involved in SOC, but i believe the same rule applies to his solo career, because his own albums aren't in the same league as Dimensionaut.

To make a long story short, i hope you don't dissipate your energies too much on solo projects and then dry up your inspiration muses, because it's the whole of your different strengths that might produce in the future a real masterpiece as SOC.
    I don't believe that at all. I've seen some people say that, usually diehard SOC fans I guess, but a lot of people are enjoying our solo albums too. It all depends on your taste. But, the quality in the songwriting, playing and production is consistent. It's the same people in different combinations with other talented people.
    Last edited by Squids; 02-02-2017 at 07:14 PM.

Actually, I was just thinking. As frustrating it must be for any artist to hear people say they'd rather they were working with the band they were in before... I count myself lucky that I was even part of a band that people care enough to even think that! We only made one album. But, the legacy is strong. Says a lot about that group and the impact the album had on some people. I wouldn't want anyone to think I don't respect that. I do and I feel the same way about bands I like. I wish Supertramp would just get back together for example. However, I'm always open to what the individual members do solo or in other projects and the bottom line for me is if the songwriting, playing and production is good then it's good. No rules to prevent that from happening. Porcupine Tree was great but so is Steve Wilson solo with other people. A lot of artists have shown this. The music just has to stand on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    Actually, I was just thinking. As frustrating it must be for any artist to hear people say they'd rather they were working with the band they were in before... I count myself lucky that I was even part of a band that people care enough to even think that! We only made one album. But, the legacy is strong. Says a lot about that group and the impact the album had on some people. I wouldn't want anyone to think I don't respect that. I do and I feel the same way about bands I like. I wish Supertramp would just get back together for example. However, I'm always open to what the individual members do solo or in other projects and the bottom line for me is if the songwriting, playing and production is good then it's good. No rules to prevent that from happening. Porcupine Tree was great but so is Steve Wilson solo with other people. A lot of artists have shown this. The music just has to stand on its own.
    Your examples are quite fitting. In fact, i believe there are essentially 2 different kinds of artists in music: the soloist and the band member.
    Supertramp produced a streak of remarkable consecutive albums in the 70s which were mainly the fruit of two composers. Even if they wrote separately, it was the combination of their efforts, filtered by the talent of the whole band, that yielded those great results.
    Porcupine Tree has always been Steven Wilson. It's been always him who wrote 99% of the material right from the start, with rotating personnel, if any, and the band always followed his direction and will. When he decided to go solo it was basically just the name on the albums covers that changed, not much else.
    When Hodgson left Supertramp, both of the parts lost something. In the end Davies' Supertramp albums are not comparable quality-wise to Hodgson-Davies' Supertramp classic ones, and Hodgson solo efforts are all very weak.

There are artists who give their best working in a band, just think of the late, sadly missed John Wetton, whose contribution to all the groups he has been part of has been impressive, from Family to King Crimson, UK, Asia, just to name a few. His solo works have been sporadic with modest results. He knew well enough he was a band artist.
    Bono from U2, Chris Martin from Coldplay, James Hetfield from Metallica, just to name a few who are in massively successful groups, know well enough they are band members artists, in fact they never even tried to go solo.
    Instead, just think of Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, or Prince, Mike Oldfield, Kate Bush.... those are clearly solo artists, and they know (knew) well enough it would have been impossible for them to be part of a band. Within a band they would have expressed much less than what they have expressed alone. Bowie even tried to be a member of a band for a couple of years, but fortunately he realized that it wasn't a comfortable situation for him, and soon returned to record on his own.

There are only a handful of artists who managed to match the quality levels of the works of their band of provenance: Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel. Are there any others?
    Not even Mick Jagger managed to have a respectable solo career, and we're speaking of the leader of The Rolling Stones, probably the most revered band in the world behind The Beatles. Simply, he's a band member artist, and he seems to have well accepted it.

All this to say that, in my opinion (which counts virtually nothing as just said yesterday), you and Simon to me are band members artists, because your only band effort has proven to be greater than the sum of its parts. That's why i hope you and Simon will continue as SOC without dissipating too many energies on solo projects.
    Last edited by peterpyser; 02-03-2017 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    All this to say that, in my opinion (which counts virtually nothing as just said yesterday), you and Simon to me are band members artists, because your only band effort has proven to be greater than the sum of its parts. That's why i hope you and Simon will continue as SOC without dissipating too many energies on solo projects.
    We're going to continue together as SOC for ourselves (because we want to) and for the fans who have been asking for a follow up. But, I don't agree with you that we are just "members artists". SOC only has one album and, to date, I only have one solo album, "New World". Both were received extremely well in sales, reviews and feedback from fans. I am equally proud of both albums and they both contain a lot of my creativity in production and songwriting. Our solo albums obviously have more of our individual creativity but you don't know who did what on the band album. Your favorite song may have been written 99% by Simon or myself for all you know so that logic you mentioned doesn't necessarily hold up. It really just comes down to the subjective part of it all and, as I said, everyone is entitled to like what they like for any reason. It doesn't count for nothing, as you said, it counts for one person's opinion. For every 10 people that agree with you fortunately there are hundreds that disagree. But, I have to tell you, even if no one liked it I would still continue making my albums because this is what you do as an artist if you're genuine and you have something inside you to express. No one who tries to put you down can get in your way. So... sorry!!!! You can expect a whole lot more solo albums my friend. However, when it comes to SOC, I've done by best and will continue to do my best to help make it happen as much as possible because it is a great band and I am proud to be part of it. I'm equally proud to be a singer, songwriter, producer working on my own or collaborating with others.

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    Wish the Dave Kerner band was headlining. Your album "New World" is awesome! I hope you guys are going to play Stranded 1-5. Monster song....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trespass View Post
    Wish the Dave Kerner band was headlining. Your album "New World" is awesome! I hope you guys are going to play Stranded 1-5. Monster song....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I'm wanting to expand our audience for a bit which is why we're taking on these shorter opening act gigs. Good exposure and it could lead to us doing a full 2 hour + headlining gig in that area at some point down the line which is what we'd prefer to do it. That said, we're opening for some fun bands that I want to see too. It'll be a great evening of music, either gig!