Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Butch Trucks

Some of the tightest grooves ever came from Butch and Jaimoe. He will be missed. I'm just surprised it wasn't Gregg or Dickey. The Allman Brothers will be remembered as the band who really spread their musical wings with Rock, Blues, Country and Jazz.

A big loss for the music world, and the world in general. Butch always told it straight. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I kept wishing for an Allmans' reunion. It would be hard, if not impossible, to replace Warren, Derek, and the final loss of Butch. I'm figuring now it's even more remote than before.

Let's remember his times before the Allmans...

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Shit...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shot-head.html

Sorry to ruin everybody's day...misery loves company.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Shit...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shot-head.html

Sorry to ruin everybody's day...misery loves company.
    That's a horrible story. Letting money be so important that you can't deal with another day. I am so bummed.

Sounds like the Keith Emerson situation last year. Just awful.

I was hoping that was some sick fake news story. Absolutely horrible. Wish I could unread something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If true, even a greater tragedy.

NY Daily News has picked up the story now. Still waiting to hear it from a non-tabloid.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2956545
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

saw them many times and always appreciated the duel drum attack similar to the G Dead......I liked them a lot more during the Dickey Betts period ( Seven turns was a great comeback album and saw that tour a couple times) but it was all good....will be missed .....

^^^From the article:

I'm heartbroken," Gregg said in a statement. "I've lost another brother and it hurts beyond words. Butch and I knew each other since we were teenagers and we were bandmates for over 45 years. He was a great man and a great drummer and I'm going to miss him forever."

Man, these guys have had there more than fair share of hurt.

Prescription drugs. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    That's a horrible story. Letting money be so important that you can't deal with another day. I am so bummed.
    Now I'm even sadder. I lit some candles and drank a toast while listening to some ABB last night. I think I might have to do it some more. This is so awful. Totally didn't need to happen.

An absolute tragedy. A combination of several bad things culminating in suicide by firearm. RIP Bruce Trucks. If I might suggest a really good (and good quality) show by his band Bruce Trucks and the Freight Train Band: https://archive.org/details/butchtrucks28APR2016
    --
    SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
    Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
    Through The Looking Glass radio show at www.deepnuggets.com

Quote Originally Posted by sdavmor View Post
    An absolute tragedy. A combination of several bad things culminating in suicide by firearm. RIP Bruce Trucks. If I might suggest a really good (and good quality) show by his band Bruce Trucks and the Freight Train Band: https://archive.org/details/butchtrucks28APR2016
    I like the joke what's the difference between a bull and the buddy rich band? The Bulls got the horns in the front and the asshole in the back. RIP Butch you will be missed severely.

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/l...125-story.html

Haven't seen this posted here unless I overlooked it. His last interview over the phone was the same day he committed suicide. Weird that he doesn't sound like he was headed in that direction at all, at least to me.

Agreed, always thought he was the most humble, grounded guy in the group. I guess you never know how setbacks, even retirement affect people.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

Haven't seen this posted here unless I overlooked it. His last interview over the phone was the same day he committed suicide. Weird that he doesn't sound like he was headed in that direction at all, at least to me.
    These comments are very interesting and true:

“After Duane died, for one thing there was only one guitar player, but then Dickie kind of took over and we quit playing so much in that jazz genre that we were playing in and started heading more toward country stuff. And then out came ‘Rambling Man,’ and if I never hear that song again it’ll be too soon.”

“Yeah, well, you can have it [laughs]. We actually went to the studio to make a demo of that to send to Merle Haggard.”

Oh wow!

“Even Dickie figured it was much too country for the Allman Brothers. Then we got into the studio and got into that big long jam at the end with all those guitar parts and everything, and we forgot about how country the song was. And then wouldn’t you know it – it becomes out only hit single. ”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post

Damn
    “But m legacy, I’m very, very, very proud of. Here’s one that really nailed it, is back in the early ‘70s, a new form of jazz came along called fusion – pretty much led by Return to Forever, Chick Correa’s band. Chick Correa, Lenny White, Stanley Clark – you know, that group. ‘Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy’ – just an incredible record.

“Well, one day at The Beacon, Lenny White was there sitting in with us, and Chick came with him. Chick didn’t sit in with us, but we were back stage talking. And I asked him, “Where’d you guys come up with that idea for ‘Hymn to the Seventh Galaxy’ and all that.

“And he just kind of looked at me funny and said, ‘We got it from you guys.’ I said, ‘What?’ He said, ‘Hell yeah, we’re down in the Village in New York playing for 200 or 300 people and you guys are selling out Madison Square Garden four nights in a row. We could tell what you were doing, we could hear Miles Davis and John Coltrane and Charlie Parker and all that in what you were playing.

“ ’So we figured, what the hell? Why don’t we come from the other direction? Y’all came from rock ‘n’ roll and blues and added jazz to it. How ‘bout we come from jazz and add a little bit of rock ‘n’ roll to it?’ He said, ‘We never sold out Madison Square Garden four nights in a row, but we made a hell of a lot more money once we started doing that.’ [Laughs]

“Albums like ‘Hymn to the Seventh Galaxy’ or Mahavishnu Orchestra’s ‘Inner Mounting Flame,’ those ae some of the greatest records ever made. And to know that I had something do with that even being in existence – I mean, I’m very, very proud. That’s right at the top of what I’m most proud of with my legacy.”

Butch's son Vaylor is a friend of mine and he posted this a day or so ago. It got shared a lot on FB so I wanted to share it here too. RIP Butch