Thread: RIP Maggie Roche

RIP Maggie Roche

It is with a heavy heart that I must report that Maggie Roche of The Roches has died of cancer. A wonderful voice has been silenced.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    It is with a heavy heart that I must report that Maggie Roche of The Roches has died of cancer. A wonderful voice has been silenced.
    :-(
    Sad news , I am a huge fan of the Roche sisters.
    RIP Maggie

ugh.

thanks for the news.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

http://www.njarts.net/music/maggie-r...s-dies-age-65/

I feel so blessed having seen her/The Roches several times at The Bottom Line; their Christmas shows were one of a kind. Thanks to Robert Fripp for producing and playing with them early on. RIP Maggie.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Aww man, Rip Maggie
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

😞 It looks like 2017 is starting off just as bad as 2016.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Ember
    Never missed them when they wandered down here to Philly or Sellersville. They were the living embodiment of that ineffable quality of what matching DNA sounds like when it sings. Their Christmas album is the centerpiece of our holiday playlist, but the humor, ingenuity, and frequent raw beauty of their entire body of work is imprinted in my brain.

RIP Maggie. The rest of you, live long and prosper.

Deeply inspirational to us as people and musicians. A sad day, for sure. Rest in peace, Maggie. Our love for you will continue to "radiate around". Thank you.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

RIP Maggie Roche. They were pretty big on NYC/Long Island radio in my late teen years.

Very sorry to hear. She was a unique and gifted songwriter.

So sorry to hear about Maggie. Thanks to Robert Fripp for bringing The Roches to my attention all those years ago.

RIP, she sure experienced a lot in those 65 years.
    What Simon stuff where they actually on?

And Man, Fripp was really busy in between versions of Crimson in the late 70s.

very sad to hear this I never got to see them live unfortunately.

like most here I presume I got into them through Fripp, but have explored and enjoyed the rest of their discography since.

Hammond song what a great track.

I also really enjoyed their contributions to phillip glass' Songs from liquid days

Have many albums, saw them live a couple of times in the 80's. Listened to the first album and "Speak" last night, and will be playing other albums a lot in the coming days. While Terre and Suzzy wrote the light-hearted, funny songs, Margaret's were serious and deep (in a really good way, not pretentious or overwrought). I heard songs from the first LP on the radio and saw several glowing reviews, and bought it without knowing about the Paul Simon and Robert Fripp connections. So sad...

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    What Simon stuff where they actually on?
    Maggie & Terre had sung harmony vocals on 'Was a Sunny Day' (There Goes Rhymin' Simon 1972)

"Mr. Simon signed them to a production company he had formed for young musicians, and he was also among the producers of Maggie and Terre Roche’s album “Seductive Reasoning,” released by Columbia in 1975."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/21/a...iter.html?_r=0
    Last edited by alucard; 01-24-2017 at 07:39 AM.
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Who's gonna clean down behind the steam table now?

Sad sad sad news. I only saw them once but it was wonderful...and their first album was an absolute revelation to my ears at a time when I thought only "progressive/art rock" was worth the candle...
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

as a young guy I was friends with Suzzy---she'd get me tickets to their concerts and saw them a few times---loved their early albums ---Maggie was the serious sister----and with the other two ---blended so beautifully. Agree with Sturgeon I was neck deep in prog/art rock but totally accepted them. They were arty after all. And very popular in NYC and on college campuses around the country. RIP

Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"