Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Modern Fusion of the more Rock variety

right out of the gate, Jazz Grunge is a different beast than the first album from Matalex. replacing Steve Smith and Jeff Andrews are former members of Triton, Jost Nickel (drums) and Arnd Greise (bass). if you like heavy jazz rock/fusion, this will do it. I haven't seen any Triton on utube so I'll include one I've posted b4

Matalex - Beauty Of The Beast (Jazz Grunge/1996)

Matalex - Jazz Grunge (Jazz Grunge/1996)

Triton (selected tracks from Boomerang) 1992

i.ain't.dead.irock

I love Jazz Grunge!!! I also bought the live album of Jazz Grunge Tour ‘96, but the studio album is special. I’ll have to listen to Triton. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matalex also made an album together with Jean Paul-Bourelly
    https://www.discogs.com/Matalex-Feat...elease/1061048

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I love Jazz Grunge!!! I also bought the live album of Jazz Grunge Tour ‘96, but the studio album is special. I’ll have to listen to Triton. Thanks.
    that live album from 96 is damned good though with those ass kickin' versions of X-Perience and Apples Blues. Triton had three but they're not easy to acquire. I gotta couple that I can wave
    i.ain't.dead.irock

thought I'd go ahead and post these two up. a great live album that doesn't seem dated at all.
    I love the funkiness and synth play on X-Perience

Matalex - X-Perience (Live '96)

Matalex - Apples Blues (Live '96)

i.ain't.dead.irock

Gianluca D'Alessio's Sunrise Markets, featuring Gavin Harrison (2 tracks), John Giblin (1 track) and a couple of Italian musicians, contains a selection of short, mostly instrumental tracks, which combine progressive rock, fusion, progmetal chords and slightly shredding parts. According to Burning Shed it's his second solo-album.

Some might watch the clips on his youtube-channel: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...XUo75nBLOIPJGn

One of the new bands I am pretty stoked about is Arch Echo, A bunch of classmates that created this band, great cd btw, start to finish, beatiful, over the top and stellar musicians.

https://archecho.bandcamp.com/
    https://www.archecho.com/videos/

There is a common thread in this thread... What makes so many of these bands great is the drummer. This is especially true with Special Providence, Impact Fuze, and Nova Collective. Not that the guitar, keys and bass aren't great themselves... but sometimes the drummers don't get the spotlight they deserve. I think we should all give a round of applause to the drummers... please clap in 7/4 time while you stomp your feet in 5/4. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wiz_d_kidd View Post
    There is a common thread in this thread... What makes so many of these bands great is the drummer. This is especially true with Special Providence, Impact Fuze, and Nova Collective. Not that the guitar, keys and bass aren't great themselves... but sometimes the drummers don't get the spotlight they deserve. I think we should all give a round of applause to the drummers... please clap in 7/4 time while you stomp your feet in 5/4. Thanks!
    I completely agree! One of the common things in 90% of the music I love is that it all has great drumming. Usually, if an album is frothed on by many here at PE and I check it out and it does not have great drumming I become the lone voice of dissent. I just cant take mediocre drumming
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

These are good !

Electric Outlet is a collection of veteran German studio musicians who have mastered their craft providing backing tracks and live work to many artists over a variety of musical styles. The band includes Marcus Deml, (guitars - Kingdom Come, Saga, Bobby Kimball), Tom Aeschbacher (keyboards), Ralf Gustke (drums - Chaka Khan, Xavier Naidoo) and Frank Itt, (bass - Pili Pili, Errorhead and Bobby Kimball).

I am really enjoying 4db's Animal release, (not sure if this should be posted in the Rock or Jazz version of this thread) but here is one of the best tracks from the album

Similarly am enjoying Bordelephone's debut album which features 4Db's bassist Olivier Michel

Already aired in The Canvas Prog Hour # 563: Fraudprophets' "Poptosis".
    Fraudprophets is formed by multi-instrumentalist Sean Halley and drummer Nate (Nataniel) Morton, who are accompanied on a couple of tracks by Matt Rohde, Jenee Fleenor, Snarky Puppy's Bob Reynolds and Oz Noy.

Some classic jazz-rock on this album (released next month), but also some Dixie Dregs-like countryjazzrock, groovy bluesfusion, subtle Eric Johnson-like guitar adventures and smooth sax-moments.

The band has been in the making since 2016, which is shown by this old version of "The Phlebotomist" (which features Noy on the final version):

More short cuts from some of the tracks over here:

I honestly don't know where to bring this up: here, the "modern fusion...jazz" thread, or just the jazz discussion, but I landed here. Digging the hell out of Donny McCaslin's newest, Blow. Stream the entire album here: https://donnymccaslin.bandcamp.com/album/blow

I think it should appeal to many around these parts.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I honestly don't know where to bring this up: here, the "modern fusion...jazz" thread, or just the jazz discussion, but I landed here. Digging the hell out of Donny McCaslin's newest, Blow. Stream the entire album here: https://donnymccaslin.bandcamp.com/album/blow

I think it should appeal to many around these parts.
    Nice and thanks for the H.U.!.

Interesting:
    "Has Bowie gone jazz with "Blackstar"?" … "because the album includes a quartet of jazz musicians that Bowie first heard (as so many do) at a small club in New York's Greenwich Village" for example, etc.. (love "Blackstar" BTW!)

Donny McCaslin was the bandleader and helped define "Blackstar's" visionary stylistic fusion IMO! … interesting!.
    Last edited by TCC; 05-30-2019 at 10:03 PM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Donny McCaslin was the bandleader and helped define "Blackstar's" visionary stylistic fusion IMO! … interesting!.
    And from the sound of Blow, the influence was very mutual, as I hear much of latter-day Bowie in this new recording. I believe that Bowie became aware of McCaslin through contact with Maria Schneider and her Orchestra (of which McCaslin is a long-standing member) when they recorded "Sue (Or In a Season of Crime)" together in 2014.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

There is also a new Brad Mehldau album out. Finding Gabriel. Looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    There is also a new Brad Mehldau album out. Finding Gabriel. Looks interesting.
    Yes, he's working with a lot of keyboards and a drummer again, just like he did on Mehliana's Taming The Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Yes, he's working with a lot of keyboards and a drummer again, just like he did on Mehliana's Taming The Dragon.

That's what attracted me, when I read the review.

How about this one by Vital Tech Tones (Steve Smith-Drums, Scott Henderson-Guitar, Victor Wooden-Bass)?

https://youtu.be/04IVawNep_w

I think Six Ring Circus fit in this category -still love this album:

This ep from Blumen/With a Smile was a great one. The first track will appeal to Mahavishnu fans I would imagine. There are only two guys playing all the instruments!

I thought there was no follow up to this, but I just found there was an album seemingly on on Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/album/53Ngr...QI6r4-m_vJ3J3g

Quote Originally Posted by MJBrady View Post
    One of the new bands I am pretty stoked about is Arch Echo, A bunch of classmates that created this band, great cd btw, start to finish, beatiful, over the top and stellar musicians.

https://archecho.bandcamp.com/
    https://www.archecho.com/videos/
    These guys are crazy good. I heard about them on another forum and had to buy the latest CD, You Won't Believe What Happens Next! Amazing stuff.

Another band I've been getting into lately is Cosmosquad, with Jeff Kollman.

So much good music out there. And I mean out there.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    How about this one by Vital Tech Tones (Steve Smith-Drums, Scott Henderson-Guitar, Victor Wooden-Bass)?

https://youtu.be/04IVawNep_w
    Wooten, not Wooden. And Henderson's solo stuff is great, along with his stint in Tribal Tech.