Thread: My review: Cathedral - Stained Glass Stories (1978)

My review: Cathedral - Stained Glass Stories (1978)

My review of Cathedral's 1978 album "Stained Glass Stories":

Wow!

Yeah, awesome album. Not my favorite AmeriPorg album, which is Mirthrandir. But right up there with Yezda Urfa and a few others Just a small click behind that as my favorite.

I feel fortunate to have seen Cathedral play live down on Long Island a few years ago, right as they were releasing The Bridge. They did a gig in a nice little theater for mostly friends and family, I have no memory how I heard about it, but we did a few days in NYC then drove out to Long Island for the show. It was incredible to hear music from SGS played live by 4/5ths of the original lineup. The only mistake the made to my ears was using electronic drums, but it was still a fine show.

Bil

Oddly enough, I've never gotten around to this one (or Mirthrandir, for that matter). I'm gonna check it out now though.

Thanks!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    One of my first mail order discs back in pre-net days iirc.

The Bridge was excellent too!

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

A fine record. I enjoy it. Great bassist.

Yes, I still like it. Apart from the vocalist/singer (no pun).

But I have to say that even today I find the album to drop quite a bit after that first lengthy song.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Big fan of 70's American Prog and Cathedral is near the top of the list - along with Happy The Man, Ethos, Mirthrandir, Starcastle, Lift, Easter Island, Pentwater, Hands, Yezda Urfa, The Load and Quill.

A great, great album that actually sounds, at times, like the template for much of what Anglagard would later produce.

Brilliant.
    The Prog Corner

Anglagard did in fact use Cathedral, as well as SFF, as partial templates for their sound and have said as much.

I got used to the singer in Cathedral after 5 or so spins. I think this is a great album that completely oozes atmosphere but definitely does not suffer in the chops department. I especially love the through-composed first track...no real repetition at all in there to speak of! Some very creative use of mellotron throughout courtesy of Tom Doncourt, with whom I corresponded briefly a few years back. I also enjoyed the Bridge.