Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckingham Recording New Album

Christine McVie and Lindsey Buckingham Recording New Album

Essentially, it's a FM album sans Stevie Nicks because John and Mick are the rhythm section. This is good news for those not fond of the contributions of the bleating goat vocalist. For the record, I'm OK with Stevie's voice if it's in small measures but I've always liked Lindsey and Christine's songs better. So now we'll see what's left in the tank for these two. Could be interesting.

Warning, auto-play video at the link

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...113-story.html
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Essentially, it's a FM album sans Stevie Nicks because John and Mick are the rhythm section. This is good news for those not fond of the contributions of the bleating goat vocalist. For the record, I'm OK with Stevie's voice if it's in small measures but I've always liked Lindsey and Christine's songs better. So now we'll see what's left in the tank for these two. Could be interesting.

Warning, auto-play video at the link

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...113-story.html

Regardless of what people think of her vocal timbre, its too bad that folks often forget that Stevie Nicks is a multi-instrumentalist (never put to use with the band) and an excellent songwriter, some of which helped shape the 70s AOR Fleetwood Mac sound...........Also, Nicks was always the one trying to keep the group together for decades: I am hoping her omission is by her own volition. If you havent read "Fleetwood" by Mick Fleetwood, do so: You will get a whole new perspective and appreciation for Stevie Nicks as a person, songwriter, and musician

I'm not a Fleetwood Mac fan but this sounds like something that would make diehard fans drool.

this is old news, Christine & Lindsey have been writing and recording between shows since she returned to the band a few years back.
    i think we will see a new FM album later this year. i always liked Christine's writing and vocals. her songs have always been an anchor
    to the band's catalog. the last album without her wasn't the same.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Nicks has been on record as not really believing in releasing new material as a brand. She has, however, stated that it's a mistake not to release the old Buckingham/Nicks on CD for the first time (Lindsay is the one nixing that idea). I believe that any new FM has got to have all hands on deck to work. Say You Will was sorely lacking Christine's sweetness in writing and harmony. I think it's a mistake to proceed without Nicks as well, but in an article two or three years ago, Buckingham stated they had a collection of new songs "waiting on Stevie to add her input" and she was not making the time to do so. There was a thread on PE back then regarding this very subject.

Fleetwood Mac has always been greater than the sum of its parts. Even on past albums which didn't feature one of the individuals best writing efforts the other two were there to pick up the slack. I also think Buckingham needs Christine as a sounding board and editor as he still sounds resentful of Nicks after all this time. Say You Will was long in the tooth IMO, and as has already been stated, lacked the grounding that McVie provided in the past.

Modern-day FM needs that three-part vocal harmony as much it needs that uncanny rhythm section. It needs Christine's sweetness, Stevie's earthiness and Buckingham's plunky small-body guitar as well as his production touch. I hope it happens. That being said, I did feel Nicks phoned in her performance on Tango In The Night, both vocally and writing, while Buckingham and McVie sounded synergetic. I'll take another TitN over SYW anyday.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Looking forward to it.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Anything Christine Perfect McVie does is worth my listen. Bonus points for no goat bleating.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    this is old news, Christine & Lindsey have been writing and recording between shows since she returned to the band a few years back.
    I think the "new" part is that they've given up on Nicks returning to the fold and decided to release what they'd hoped to be Mac material under a different name.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

i'm not a Stevie Nicks fan- can't stand her voice or her lack of professionalism.... i might even like the new album better without her on it.

It looks like Big Pink is rereleasing the Buckingham-Nicks album: http://www.clear-spot.nl/item/442219...ham_nicks.html

I wonder if it's legal or not?

I watched a little 1/2 hour "Rock Legends" show about the Mac just this weekend, and they even mentioned that while Stevie has wanted that re-released for a while, Lindsay does not want it done.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Maybe he's embarrassed by that album cover

960.jpg
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I wouldn't be embarrassed to have a young, naked Stevie Nicks rubbing up against me.

Just sayin'.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

funny Lindsey is younger then Stevie

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Maybe he's embarrassed by that album cover

960.jpg
    You serious? I'd brag about it. I'd have a copy in my wallet. It'd be in my portfolio.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    You serious? I'd brag about it. I'd have a copy in my wallet. It'd be in my portfolio.
    He looks pretty happy to me.

Saw Buckingham and McVie do a song on Jimmy Fallon's show last night. Actually, I slept from 11:30 to 12:25, when my wife awakened me to see Buckingham-McVie. So I had the double treat of seeing them play, and missing the rest of Fallon's show.

The closest date to me on their tour is in the town of Murphys in the Sierra Nevada foothills, July 21. Less than half the distance to the next nearest date in Las Vegas. Ebbetts Pass and Sonora Pass are still closed by snow, but should be open before July 21. I last saw Fleetwood Mac 41 years ago, summer 1976.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Found it on YT. Strange that Mick and John played on the new album but in this performance they get some other dudes backing them.

Found it on YT. Strange that Mick and John played on the new album but in this performance they get some other dudes backing them.
    I would think it is to not confuse their solo outfit with that of Fleetwood Mac's.

Aren't the other performers part of the extended band that Fleetwood Mac brings out on the road? I know the guitarist is Neale Heywood and the keyboard player is Brett Tuggle, who perform with FM and with Buckingham in his solo shows.

Of course his greatest work was with DLR!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    Strange that Mick and John played on the new album but in this performance they get some other dudes backing them.
    I am hoping that Mick and John will join Lindsay and Christine on their tour, as they did on the album. The appearance on Fallon predates the start of the tour, so maybe only the two of them went to New York. Nothing I have found on the Buckingham-McVie website states who the rhythm section for the tour will be. Anyone finds out, please let me know.

I assumed that Mick and John were touring, too. Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Of course his greatest work was with DLR!
    For those not in the know, Sean is referring to Brett 'Tug On This' Tuggle.

When I saw Lindsey Buckingham solo about 10 years ago, there was a silent transition between songs and some extra time while Lindsey did a guitar changeover. I was front row against the stage, directly in front of Tuggle. He jokingly yelled to the crowd, "What do you wanna hear next?" I yelled out, "Hina" (DLR song) and that made him laugh his ass off and give me a thumbs up. Once Lindsey was done with the guitar change, he looked to Brett and asked what he was laughing at. Brett said, "You won't understand."

Christine still looks great. I've always loved her voice and keyboard work.