Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Ozark Mountain Daredevils

This is one of those bands I'd always heard the name of, but thought I didn't know any of their music. Then today on one of the Sirius stations they played Jackie Blue, and I was like What? That's Ozark Mountain Daredevils? I always thought from the name they were some kind of country rock band or something. Jackie Blue is one of those songs I've heard (occasionally) for ages and never thought about - probably heard it since I was a kid, but had no idea who did it. I like it though. What the heck kind of band were they? That song's pure AM radio pop from what I can tell.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Never heard of them - Ozark Who? Oh Oh Jackie Blue.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When people mention that they're OMD fans I like to say that I only know that Jackie Blue song.

PS. that's a guy singing.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's Ozark Mountain Daredevils? I always thought from the name they were some kind of country rock band or something.

They were a rootsy 70s rock'n'roll band, as I see it. Highly acclaimed by many critics and for a while a very popular live act as well.

Anecdote of interest; Norwegian (from outside of Bergen, actually, my town of birth, upbringing and student days) axeman and steel-guitar player Rune Walle (of Oriental Sunshine, Hole in the Wall, Saft and Flying Norwegians) was headhunted for membership in Ozarks - received a flight ticket by mail, got on a plane with nothing but his axe and a small travelcase, met the guys in the band after being picked up at the airport by their road manager (they were in the middle of a tour) and played his first gig with them in front of 40,000 people at an open football field the next day, having rehearsed the previous evening. From what I understand, they were supporting The Band and Little Feat.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    When people mention that they're OMD fans I like to say that I only know that Jackie Blue song.
    Funny, when people tell me theyre an OMD fan, I usually think of these songs

by the way, their 2013 album is very very good

all joking aside

i would describe 80% their body of work somewhere between country-rock and what I would call "southern soul rock" (for lack of better terms) with 20% of their music exploring outside those paradigms......Its a bizarre category where few bands can be labeled although I would put Amazing Rhythm Aces in this pile (of which I prefer over OMD)........."Jackie Blue" falls in that 20% and doesnt really represent them well

this song is actually more representative of their norms

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Funny, when people tell me theyre an OMD fan, I usually think of these songs
    That's my point.

"Jackie Blue" was kind of an anomaly for them. Back in the day every region in the Midwest had one of these bands, popular among the locals and on occasion they'd get one or two monster hits before fading back into the woodwork.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This is one of those bands I'd always heard the name of, but thought I didn't know any of their music. Then today on one of the Sirius stations they played Jackie Blue, and I was like What? That's Ozark Mountain Daredevils? I always thought from the name they were some kind of country rock band or something. Jackie Blue is one of those songs I've heard (occasionally) for ages and never thought about - probably heard it since I was a kid, but had no idea who did it. I like it though. What the heck kind of band were they? That song's pure AM radio pop from what I can tell.
    I always liked the song, but never explored further. I think they had one other hit if I remember right? (the song is escaping me at the moment)

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Jackie Blue was on their second album, It'll Shine When It Shines. It was unlike their other songs, although the band had quite a bit of variety and weren't properly pigeonholed as solely country rock. They did everything from acoustic gospel-tinged country to hard driving straight ahead rock. I thought they were a pretty tight band when I saw them in concert in 1974, along with the New Riders of the Purple Sage. If they were starting out today, no one would give them a chance. They don't lip-synch or dance.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesly
    I think they had one other hit if I remember right? (the song is escaping me at the moment)
    Their other hit was "If You Want To Get To Heaven," from their 1973 debut self-titled album, which klothos kindly posted above (post #8).
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Oh my god. "Jackie Blue." I hate that song so much. Every time it comes on the radio, I switch the station almost as quickly as I do when I hear that same crashing opening note of every AC/DC song.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

them boys were from my neck of the woods. I was just visiting my grandson in Springfield, Missouri not long ago. it's not that far from here. the band quickly became a staple of St. Louis rock stations more than anywhere else but were also popular throughout the Midwest. I saw em a couple times. they were damned good musicians and could be quite adventurous onstage. their style of southern folksy country rock was fairly eclectic and tinged with humor. really, they just seemed like a group of hippie buds having a great time and they were good at it too.

the bass player, Michael Granda has done an admiral job in keeping their spirit alive. he wrote a book about the Daredevils called It Shined. it's a great read too. he's in bits of that St. Louis rockumentary starting about 27:08

yeah Richard, that was probably mid 70's in Kansas City more than likely but could have been any number of Midwest stadiums which held summer jams as well. I have a couple LPs with Rune on them.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Never heard of them - Ozark Who? Oh Oh Jackie Blue.
    Kinda like me, except I'd definitely heard of them!

I always thought Jackie Blue was by ELO.

If someone had pressed me I would have guessed the song was by a band like Average White Band or something.

I like the key modulations between the verse and chorus in "Jackie Blue."

Very clever for a pop song...
    The Prog Corner

OMD, New Riders of the Purple Sage and the Band. Were they not all doing the same kind of thing for awhile?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    OMD, New Riders of the Purple Sage and the Band. Were they not all doing the same kind of thing for awhile?
    I've only heard the debut album by the Ozark guys, and they are not in the same league as the Band. Not even close. The songs are pretty samey sounding, and there's nothing really great. I can't speak for the New Riders. The only tune I've heard is the Peter Rowan cover. Their one minor hit. But I agree Jackie Blue is a good pop tune. Better than anything on their first record.

Way back in the 80's my wife and i were at the Illinois State Fair hanging out in the Coors Light tent fixing to head to the next adventure when they had announced the next band up was the OMD's, we thought what the hell, let's stick around, have another beer. They were cranking through the tunes, hitting a few classics like Chicken Train & Standing On A Rock and the dance floor was loaded with shit kickers sporting cowboy hats and tight Wrangler jeans clogging up a storm (i think they call it line dancing now). Low and behold the band launched into Jackie Blue and the look on those peoples faces was priceless. With only a minor hiccup the party on the dance floor continued, it was very surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    throw in Amazing Rhythm Aces and I believe all of them were doing the sound that Gram Parsons initially wanted to do

Remember Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen? It took me a year to write the title of the band.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Remember Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen? It took me a year to write the title of the band.....lol
    I saw Bill Kirchen a couple years ago playing a free gig in a local municipal streetcorner/gazebo with a full band in front of a crowd of about 75 people, BYO lawn chair and cooler, goddamn it kicked ass!

I always loved the electric guitar in "Jackie Blue".