Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hope I Die Before I Get OLD!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    On the subject of composing..The guy that was responsible for the words 'Hope I Die Before I get Old, Pete Townsend, was still in his teens when he wrote them. He is now age 71 and could make the list in the very near future. He now would have a very different position on the topic.
    Actually, Roger Daltrey wrote those verses.

I'm OLD...I believe the oldest on PE. I will be 77 this year and after 12 months of retirement, can say with authority that if you manage to stay healthy, it's not a lot different from your middle age years. I still listen to weird music daily, drink booze most days and get high occasionally.
    You mean 12 years, not 12 months , I hope??

for your sake anyways
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    You mean 12 years, not 12 months , I hope??

for your sake anyways
    I retired Dec 31 2015
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    I've heard it said that mogrooves is somewhere in his eighties. With some of the things he's described having seen - Charlie Parker(?) - he'd have to be. But I've never met him, and I can't recall anyone else saying they've met him or know him. So I'm not sure whether it's true or just a rumor.
    Hi John, I think I heard that too, maybe from the OTHER old guy Geezer. I have seen many musical stars from Charlie Parker's period, however, it would have been with my mom or dad. I saw Al Martino, Billy Eckstine, Frankie Laine, and more, with my mom. My dad would take me to Trad jazz shows, British stuff like Humphrey Lyttelton and Freddie Randall.
    Dave Sr.

I'm sorry, but Doris Day is no rock star.

Glad that anyone can accomplish any kind of live performance after say 60. I am 57 and I cant stand to be away from my bed and TV after 8:30 pm. When occasionally I am forced to play a gig, I start setting up equipment and by the time I'm done with my own rig, I am totally ready to go home. I dont enjoy playing out now, because of the setup and tear down. playing is OK - if its not too loud, but being your own roadie really sucks.

I still think of myself as I was 25 years ago. Then I look in a mirror and see an old bastard and I realize it's me.
    Dave Allen

Old age isn’t so bad when you consider the alternative.
    Maurice Chevalier
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    I always thought it was Townsend, so I looked it up...http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=83. I was a big fan of the Who in my youth as they were the resident band at a club that I frequented called the Glenlyn Beat Club in Forest Hill, London. Still have my membership card.
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I'm sorry, but Doris Day is no rock star.

Glad that anyone can accomplish any kind of live performance after say 60. I am 57 and I cant stand to be away from my bed and TV after 8:30 pm. When occasionally I am forced to play a gig, I start setting up equipment and by the time I'm done with my own rig, I am totally ready to go home. I dont enjoy playing out now, because of the setup and tear down. playing is OK - if its not too loud, but being your own roadie really sucks.
    Agree, Doris day is no rock star, but I did not compile the list. She did however have an amazing voice and a nice ass!!
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    I still think of myself as I was 25 years ago. Then I look in a mirror and see an old bastard and I realize it's me.
    Dave Allen

Old age isn’t so bad when you consider the alternative.
    Maurice Chevalier
    Hear! Hear!
    Dave Sr.

If I look at others my age, I still have the feeling I'm much younger, than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    If I look at others my age, I still have the feeling I'm much younger, than they are.
    Very true. Music is the reason. I am constantly reminded of my youthful appearance and attitude by people that think they are older than me. I explain that the key to my demeanor is probably my connection to music and the fact that I continue to seek new stuff. Most people of my age, and younger, give up on music in their teens or early 20's and subsequently do not recognize any music beyond those years.
    Dave Sr.

I just turned 59. I tell all the girls I'm 60. They all say the same thing.....shut up you liar. They all think I'm 40 or 45. And I'm older than their fathers.

"I am not young enough to know everything."
    Mark Twain

Looking at the oldest person on the list is Vera Lynn, commonly known in the UK as the Forces Sweetheart. Vera will be turning 100 in March and a new album is being released to celebrate this. Truly amazing!! and will be hard to beat. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/new...album-age-100/
    Dave Sr.

Very true. Music is the reason. I am constantly reminded of my youthful appearance and attitude by people that think they are older than me. I explain that the key to my demeanor is probably my connection to music and the fact that I continue to seek new stuff. Most people of my age, and younger, give up on music in their teens or early 20's and subsequently do not recognize any music beyond those years.
    Yes indeed! You 2 keep preaching and I'll be the choir!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I retired Dec 31 2015
    You retired when you're 75??

Wow, I would today (at 53) , if I could

Most people have problems believing I'm above 50...

I must say I do look somewhat younger than my age compared with colleagues, but I wouldn't say I'm in a better shape than they are.

Some days, I feel old (more physically than spiritually)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I look at other people who look old and then I realise they are younger than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Ummm, no. Roger *did* add the stutter, though.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I won't mind growing old, I just don't want to become senile.
    Dont cook with aluminum pot and pans.
    Still alive and well...

Hi John, I think I heard that too, maybe from the OTHER old guy Geezer. I have seen many musical stars from Charlie Parker's period, however, it would have been with my mom or dad. I saw Al Martino, Billy Eckstine, Frankie Laine, and more, with my mom. My dad would take me to Trad jazz shows, British stuff like Humphrey Lyttelton and Freddie Randall.
    It is, in fact, theoretically possible for me to have seen Charlie Parker. However, I would have been a baby, probably started crying and have to be taken out, and not remembered it. You, on the other hand, would have been the British equivalent of a high school sophomore or junior, and probably would remember it. Geezer would have been in grade school. But I got the impression that mogrooves had seen Parker when he was an adult, and an active musician himself.

I never did see Bird. He died in 1955 when I was 10. I did see Coltrane (twice).
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    naaah, the aluminium thought responsible for Alzheimer doesn't come from pots and pans, but from aluminium-derivatives additives for conservation of cold cuts and dried meats
    You could get some integrated in your body from aluminium foils if you use lemon stuff and cook with it (the "papillotes"), though. I don't know about foiled potato-though
    Even if less present in recent years (microwave ovens oblige), the jury's still out about those prepared food in aluminium trays >> if you're worried about it, transfer the food to a glass plate.
    I don't think it would be the case if you wrap your sandwiches in the aluminium foil either

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Too late and they work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    naaah, the aluminium thought responsible for Alzheimer doesn't come from pots and pans, but from aluminium-derivatives additives for conservation of cold cuts and dried meats
    You could get some integrated in your body from aluminium foils if you use lemon stuff and cook with it (the "papillotes"), though. I don't know about foiled potato-though
    Even if less present in recent years (microwave ovens oblige), the jury's still out about those prepared food in aluminium trays >> if you're worried about it, transfer the food to a glass plate.
    I don't think it would be the case if you wrap your sandwiches in the aluminium foil either
    Well I guess we can cook with aluminium instead of aluminum...
    Dave Sr.

Well I guess we can cook with aluminium instead of aluminum...
    There is a "I" in that element in French