Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: U2 "The Joshua Tree" 30th Anniversary Tour

They open here in Vancouver. On the tv news 01/10, they showed that some secondary market ticket sites were already taking orders for tix, and initial tix haven't even gone on sale yet. Sad for the fans who just want an even chance to go.
    I remember tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    To me their songs don't just all sound the same, they all sound like they're ripping off "Run Like Hell".
    With all due respect, this just shows that you've only heard a very small part of their catalog.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I loved them in the '80s but eventually Bono's arrogance and self importance got way too over the top for me by the decade's end. The Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree still get spun at least once a year as well as Under a Blood Red Sky. The two live tracks from Wide Awake in America are among my all-time favorite live tracks ever.
    THIS

Have no interest in this tour. Saw them once and that was enough!

It never ceases to amaze me how much most prog fans seem to detest U2 and most commercial bands in general. Geez, come on there is other kinds of rock besides just prog already.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    A fine album - produced by Daniel Lanois. I've seen the band in the 80s and 00s. For stadium shows, it has to be among my favourites so I'm passing.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-13-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I met U2 in 1981. They opened for J Geils. We were backstage laughing at how horrible Centerfold was. They were cool guys. I bet they're not anymore...
    2006-
    From May, 2015-

They still seem pretty cool to me.
    Also, in the midst of their L.A. Forum run in 2015 they found the time to play at The Roxy; a set of mainly songs from their first album, "Boy". (My favorite of theirs.)

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/201...-6bc99ac2.html
    Last edited by Obscured; 01-11-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    With all due respect, this just shows that you've only heard a very small part of their catalog.
    I certainly can't argue with that - I've only heard the stuff that gets overplayed on the radio, in sports stadiums, in commercials, etc. None of it ever made me want to dig further into their catalog.

Odd coincidence - about an hour after posting on this thread I turned on the TV and it was on Comedy Central which was mid-way through showing an episode of South Park that makes fun of Bono.
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

are they performing the whole album or playing the original setlist?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    are they performing the whole album or playing the original setlist?
    Rolling Stone-Are you going to play the album in sequence at the shows?
    The Edge-I believe we will, and I say "believe we will" because that is certainly the working assumption right now. The show might not necessarily start with Track One, Side One, "Where the Streets Have No Name," because we feel like maybe we need to build up to that moment, so we're still in the middle of figuring out exactly how the running order will go, so yes. We will be playing the album in sequence.

RS-What songs are going to feature in the non–Joshua Tree parts of the show?
    The Edge-Obviously whenever we go to do something live, we are looking to establish a through line, a cinematic core that we can hold to. And we're kind of spoiled and lucky that in the canon there's a lot to draw from. Being kind of early in the process, it's kind of hard for me to say exactly what we'll be looking to do. But I will say that all the old songs are going to be considered and what we finally end up playing will cohere to what the core theme is. You know, we're doing shows in America. We're doing shows in Europe. But certainly the American shows, I have no doubt that a lot of it will be focused on that mythic America that we were writing about during the Joshua Tree.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I seem to remember them doing an Acthung Baby-based set at Glastonbury for its 20th, so it's nothing new. My memory was that the performance was widely deemed to be a bit of a disappointment- they were expected to provide some kind of long-lasting 'moment' like Blur did in 2008, but it really didn't happen.

I suppose celebrating an 'anniversary' like this makes more sense with U2 than most as it's still the same line-up.
    In fairness to U2 I was at that Glastonbury and the rain really set in that night, it dampened spirits considerably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    FedEx field. A fail on several levels.
    Crap place to see a show, sound awful, you have to pay just to walk on to the property much less pay to park a car.
    I would like to see U2 again, just not there.
    True. I don't like big crowds anymore. Prog Rock has spoiled me on this one. Joshua Tree the only U2 CD I bought. That was a mistake because it was all over the radio and I got tired of hearing it. And then there's the chance that Bono will start pontificating and I'm sick of political opinions. I wonder how much the tickets are?

GREAT JUMPING HORNY TOADS! Tickets start out at 195.00 quid at FedEx Field. Fuck that! That's my share for a deep sea fishing trip this summer.
    Last edited by Mr. Toad; 01-14-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    True. I don't like big crowds anymore. Prog Rock has spoiled me on this one. Joshua Tree the only U2 CD I bought. That was a mistake because it was all over the radio and I got tired of hearing it. And then there's the chance that Bono will start pontificating and I'm sick of political opinions. I wonder how much the tickets are?

GREAT JUMPING HORNY TOADS! Tickets start out at 195.00 quid at FedEx Field. Fuck that! That's my share for a deep sea fishing trip this summer.
    Tickets start at $35 here (Met Life Stadium)

I think Bono confuses himself between being a Rock Star and a Politician, same as that gob shite Bob Geldof!

I've never seen U2 before(and neither has my brother who is older than me and more of an alternative rock fan than I am)so I am planning on purchasing tickets for this tomorrow. It will be a birthday present for him. We are both fans of the band so it should be fun. I'm particularly interested in hearing the Joshua Tree in it's entirety(probably my favorite album by them).
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 01-15-2017 at 03:51 PM.

I just bought two tickets. It took me a while and it seems like they are in the nose bleed section but hey I'm going for the experience. They still weren't cheap(probably 80 dollars per ticket). Oh well. It should be fun. Plus my brother is turning 50 so it's kind of a big deal.

I was drinking a couple of beers outside a stadium with a friend on a hill listening to U2 from afar in 1997. It was the Pop tour, so I started listening to two of those tune with him at the gate before security told us to move away. About the fourth song in my friend asked in disbelief "You never saw U2 in concert?! Oh, we're going in!" He went up to two girls leaving after the fourth song who said "It sucked" and gave them $5 for their ticket stubs.

He talked our way in and apart from Bono stepping out of a rotating egg and the Batman song, that was a great concert. Not bad for $2.50.

they are great live in concert ...I saw the 2001? tour Its a beautiful day album and I was definitely entertained and Bono is a great front man but after many years of collecting albums the only one I kept was the first one BOY....nothing wrong with rest of them just not my thing anymore ....

Wow! The tickets for the Philadelphia show which went on sale this morning are already sold out. That's at least 70,000 seats. They did just announce a second stadium show in LA, Chicago, and East Rutherford (NY), a few hours ago.

Library Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Wow! The tickets for the Philadelphia show which went on sale this morning are already sold out. That's at least 70,000 seats. They did just announce a second stadium show in LA, Chicago, and East Rutherford (NY), a few hours ago. Library Jon
    Met Life (NY/NJ) also sold-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Library Jon View Post
    Wow! The tickets for the Philadelphia show which went on sale this morning are already sold out. That's at least 70,000 seats. They did just announce a second stadium show in LA, Chicago, and East Rutherford (NY), a few hours ago.

Library Jon
    Actually no, it's just a little over 69,000 seats. I think they probably should have added a second show in Philly. Maybe get Yes as the opening act.