Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2016 U.S. Music Industry Report - interesting

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What? That was a thread about the UK box set, and after a certain point it was about all the problems with the pre-order fulfillment. Not very different from the APB preorder thread. I wasn't proud, THAT I was incredulous about.
    To be honest, I shouldn't have referred to the UK box thread. A totally separate item. My main point is you go out of your way to say you have not heard of something. Isn't that true?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    To be honest, I shouldn't have referred to the UK box thread. A totally separate item. My main point is you go out of your way to say you have not heard of something. Isn't that true?
    I wouldn't say "out of my way" more than any poster. As I said, my point isn't really that *I* personally am not familiar with that music, it's frustration that ANY of us should be expected to consider it any more than crap. Maybe it's just a "get off my lawn" stance, but I don't want to know about that crap, and fortunately, I really don't.

What? That was a thread about the UK box set, and after a certain point it was about all the problems with the pre-order fulfillment. Not very different from the APB preorder thread. I wasn't proud, THAT I was incredulous about.

Obviously my point in THIS thread is that music that's undeserving crap is largely the top selling music now. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe it's all excellent.
    You'd have no way of knowing if something was undeserving crap unless you'd heard it.

As others have pointed out, not knowing who Bruno Mars is, is not something that raises the possibility that you are a discerning and independent thinker about music, so much as raises the possibility that you are detached from even the rudiments of contemporary popular culture.

It makes people think you are more this guy

than this guy

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    You'd have no way of knowing if something was undeserving crap unless you'd heard it.

As others have pointed out, not knowing who Bruno Mars is, is not something that raises the possibility that you are a discerning and independent thinker about music, so much as raises the possibility that you are detached from even the rudiments of contemporary popular culture.

It makes people think you are more this guy

than this guy

LOL. Fair enough, in most respects. I'm sure Beethoven would have been most intrigued by Bruno Mars.

Jefferson James
    For the record, I don't think Jed goes out of his way to be ignorant about new music; I think it comes naturally.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Go to Shtick
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    For the record, I don't think Jed goes out of his way to be ignorant about new music; I think it comes naturally.
    Yes, when it comes to new, non-prog music, I'm an ignorant.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I would have had to add a bunch of NEVER HEARD or ALWAYS CHANGE THE STATION to Jkl2000's list in post 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post

My youngest loves Panic! At The Disco and if I am in the mood they are pretty good. I have to say I love the Pentatonix Christmas album so much I got a copy for myself. I also picked up a few other records of theirs. They are really talented a cappella group. YMMV. My kids face lights up when I play something that is what she considers hers without her asking.
    I own a Panic! At The Disco album (not the one on this list) and think it is great. Beatles influenced pop done really well. Some of you here may enjoy them.

I know who all of these people are and have heard things by them but the music does nothing for me. Rihanna, Joey + Rory, Bruno Mars, J. Cole, 21 Pilots....it doesn't click for me. However, there are some that do: Civil Wars/Joy Williams, Paramore, Kacey Musgraves...they are all excellent.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Quote Originally Posted by Adm.Kirk View Post
    I know who all of these people are and have heard things by them but the music does nothing for me. Rihanna, Joey + Rory, Bruno Mars, J. Cole, 21 Pilots....it doesn't click for me. However, there are some that do: Civil Wars/Joy Williams, Paramore, Kacey Musgraves...they are all excellent.

Bill
    If I may ask, how is it that you you come to hear artists like Bruno Mars and Joey & Rory?

Does Bruno Mars still exist?

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I take that as a yes. Does T.E.V.I.N still exist?

If I may ask, how is it that you you come to hear artists like Bruno Mars and Joey & Rory?

I own a record store so I try to keep up with what's hot, whether I personally like it or not and I work part time for a radio station that plays country music, so I hear a lot of stuff there. Bruno does indeed exist. His new album is selling OK. Not to my taste, but people do seem to like the guy's music. Joey + Rory sold a ton of albums here while she was battling cancer. Everybody wanted a CD. Chris Stapleton still moves multiple copies every week.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.