Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016 U.S. Music Industry Report - interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Didn't realize that you had two accounts here, Jed.

I'm actually much in the same boat as Jed and Kerry - though my excuse adds "living in South Korea" to the mix. I don't have much less watch TV, don't listen to radio (haven't actually done that ANYWHERE in many, many years), and I don't go to concerts as there are few artists I'd want to see, and my schedule is such that going to Seoul, even though it's only about an hour away by bus, is usually out of the question. I also don't do K-Pop as I get inundated by that everywhere I go. Also, Spotify is not available here, so I can't listen to that although Korea has its own streaming services. Of course, there is YouTube, and I do discover a lot there though it is doubtful that many artists get their due from that streaming service...

I still buy music that I want to listen to, which means it's up to me to seek it out, and I usually don't seek out what's currently on the charts. Bandcamp is my good friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    So, obviously, the music business isn't as profitable as you think it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift
    Yes, but the report is suggesting that after years of declines, growth is occurring again.
    Yes, but it's growth in the non-profit generating segments of the business.
    Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Music Industry Report
    "Audio streams reached a new record high of 250.7 billion, up 82.6% over 2015."

"Physical album sales were down 11.7% from 2015. (89.4 million in 2016 vs. 101.3 million in 2015). Physical album sales accounted for 51.6% of all album sales in 2016."

CD album sales were down by 14%. Digital album sales were down 19.4%. Vinyl record sales were up 25.9%. Vinyl albums accounted for 8% of all physical album sales.
    Therefore the obvious conclusion is that while interest in music remains high -- and more and more great music is being produced -- the distribution chains for profiting on this surfeit of great music are being choked out of the marketplace by free or nearly-free distribution chains.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    I'm actually much in the same boat as Jed and Kerry
    I listened to Twenty-One Pilots' "Stressed Out" and, damn, I've really been missing out on some great stuff; in other fantasies, I am several inches longer than Jed with a girth approaching that of a Folger's can.

The truth is, at 54 I have spent the last decade asking myself, "who is this person?" when it comes to pop culture figures. I just generally can't be bothered because 99% of time when I do bother, it's sounds like stuff like Twenty-One Pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I listened to Twenty-One Pilots' "Stressed Out" and, damn, I've really been missing out on some great stuff; in other fantasies, I am several inches longer than Jed with a girth approaching that of a Folger's can.

The truth is, at 54 I have spent the last decade asking myself, "who is this person?" when it comes to pop culture figures. I just generally can't be bothered because 99% of time when I do bother, it's sounds like stuff like Twenty-One Pilots.
    I totally fit with everything you said (minus the fantasy bit).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Why draw attention to your musical tunnel vision?
    You're right - I'll listen to J. Cole's "4 Your Eyez Only" and see if I like it as much as you do. Maybe I'm missing out...

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Guess I've officially graduated to fogeydom as I don't have time for this "a bunch of loops and samples on a laptop in someone's basement" inhuman sounding crap. Give me guitar, bass and drums and with some freaking guitar solos too while you're at it.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You're right - I'll listen to J. Cole's "4 Your Eyez Only" and see if I like it as much as you do. Maybe I'm missing out...
    Its not a question of liking something. You like what you like. Its your lack of awareness that is odd.

Its not a question of liking something. You like what you like. Its your lack of awareness that is odd.
    Well in defense of JKL2000, it is very very VERY rare that anything "popular" with the kids these days rises above the level of interminable dreck for me. I often sample unfamiliar names I see in music articles or TV stories, now that it's so easy to do, and I can honestly count on the fingers of one hand the number of artists who have impressed me with talent and skill and originality over the past decade. 99.99% of what's out there is recycled ideas from the '70s and '80s, played on a computer with no passion or skill, over a mindless drum machine. Even the humanly-played stuff, while often competently played, is bereft of anything that makes it notable.

Maybe that's the old duffer in me speaking, but there's an awful lot of shit music in the field.

I have no idea who many of those artists are, but I don't have anything against those who like popular music. I don't need to rain on anyone else's parade. We all like what we like. And I don't consider myself above it. I still like some music that was popular in years past, but I can relate to not being aware of a lot of recent music. I don't listen to the radio. We don't have it playing at work (thankfully!). I don't have cable or satellite TV. I never go to my computer and google "what are the kids listening to these days?". My kids don't live at home anymore and my son (who I see fairly often) is a progger anyway, so I wouldn't be hearing about popular music from him (in fact, I'm still turning him onto stuff far more often than he does me). Pretty sure I'm far from alone in my situation.

One positive of not being familiar with certain music is that it's hard to develop contempt...

Edit: I really don't have a problem with modern methods of creating music. Whether samples, MIDI, drum machines, and even Autotune etc. are used makes no difference. If it resonates it resonates and the end result is what counts. I do have a bias though. I tend to like music with interesting rhythm sections that add a little more variation and complexity. Most popular music is rather boring in that regard. To the extent that MIDI, etc. results in boring backing tracks I probably won't get much mileage out of it.
    <sig out of order>

Jefferson James
    In the Information Age "awareness" takes on new meaning; in the minute it's taken me to type this, 300 hours of new content was uploaded to YouTube.

I think it's safe to say I've reach the point of information overload. I have to filter things now and that means 99% of contemporary commercial music misses me completely, which is understandable: I am not contemporary commercial music's demographic to start with.

You mean, we're not all 14 anymore?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Yes, but the report is suggesting that after years of declines, growth is occurring again. It may never grow by all that much, but the bottom appears to have been hit in 2013 or 2014.

isnt that kind of like saying "The Ice Caps have receded 40% in the past century but saw a 15% increase this year from last year, indicating growth"...........which just means that this year saw a 9% increase from what they were last year compared to overall. That doesn't necessarily indicate growth - it could mean a number of things, including part of the crests and troughs of a non-linear decline

Thinking Plague have a new one out, and I'm gonna buy that. Suicide Squad or Blake Shelton don't matter.

We'll all be dead soon anyway.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Nailed it in 1 sentence. I know a few of those groups from my teenagers, but that's how it's supposed to be. It was the very odd disc that my parents said anything unless it was 'turn that crap off'. Whenever I played Genesis' The Brazilian, my Mom would yell upstairs for me to turn it up. The first time I heard that, I thought I was hallucinating. My Dad really liked ELP's Pictures At The Exhibit. There were a few more but I can remember the first times they said they liked them like it was yesterday.

My youngest loves Panic! At The Disco and if I am in the mood they are pretty good. I have to say I love the Pentatonix Christmas album so much I got a copy for myself. I also picked up a few other records of theirs. They are really talented a cappella group. YMMV. My kids face lights up when I play something that is what she considers hers without her asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Nailed it in 1 sentence. I know a few of those groups from my teenagers, but that's how it's supposed to be. It was the very odd disc that my parents said anything unless it was 'turn that crap off'. Whenever I played Genesis' The Brazilian, my Mom would yell upstairs for me to turn it up. The first time I heard that, I thought I was hallucinating. My Dad really liked ELP's Pictures At The Exhibit. There were a few more but I can remember the first times they said they liked them like it was yesterday.

My youngest loves Panic! At The Disco and if I am in the mood they are pretty good. I have to say I love the Pentatonix Christmas album so much I got a copy for myself. I also picked up a few other records of theirs. They are really talented a cappella group. YMMV. My kids face lights up when I play something that is what she considers hers without her asking.
    same here....my band covers a lot of newer material, too (about 20% , maybe a lil' more) ....we are picking up 21 Pilots "Heathens" next rehearsal (Im singing it)... which tickles my daughters

Jefferson James
    I'm seven-and-a-half.

How are you aware of Joey & Rory?

If I were, I'd still hate whats being pushed as music today. Sure, everyone thinks "their" music is the best, but in this case, it really is true. Any band from the 1970's+ would not get a second of attention today. Led Zeppelin would be so passe - I am not sure why, but there is nothing remaining that would allow for such a remarkable thing as the 70's were, musically speaking.

I'm happily and eternally stuck in that era, and very little today scratches that itch. When it does, Man, I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I'm seven-and-a-half.
    You look old for your age.
    <sig out of order>

Why? Nearly everything on that list is something one would have to actively seek out in order to be exposed to. I have six different FM station presets on my car stereo which I listen to regularly while driving, routinely visit record stores, and have still never heard of Chris Stapleton, Pentatonix, 21 Pilots, J. Cole, or Joey & Rory. I have heard of but never heard Drake, Blake Shelton, Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars, or Keith Urban and wouldn't know where to begin looking for them on the radio dial. I only know of Solange (Beyonce's sister) and Rihanna because I saw them perform at big, multi-stage outdoor music festivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad to the Bone View Post
    Why? Nearly everything on that list is something one would have to actively seek out in order to be exposed to. I have six different FM station presets on my car stereo which I listen to regularly while driving, routinely visit record stores, and have still never heard of Chris Stapleton, Pentatonix, 21 Pilots, J. Cole, or Joey & Rory. I have heard of but never heard Drake, Blake Shelton, Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars, or Keith Urban and wouldn't know where to begin looking for them on the radio dial. I only know of Solange (Beyonce's sister) and Rihanna because I saw them perform at big, multi-stage outdoor music festivals.
    When Bruno Mars performed at that Superbowl halftime show and I mentioned here I'd never heard of him people were incredulous. But that halftime show is still the only place I'm aware of ever having heard him.

Had no idea Solange was Beyonce's sister. Was she Salt or Peppa?

Seriously though, the only FM radio I listen to is NPR, and it's not like I watch E! or read People, so how would I know who most of those artists are? I have a 17 year old son, but all last night he was listening to Lou Reed and Rodriguez, so it's not like he's listening to that kind of pop either.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    When Bruno Mars performed at that Superbowl halftime show and I mentioned here I'd never heard of him people were incredulous. But that halftime show is still the only place I'm aware of ever having heard him.

Had no idea Solange was Beyonce's sister. Was she Salt or Peppa?
    I don't see why people would be incredulous. The thing I've noticed, however, is that you constantly publicize your lack of knowledge for any music outside or prog. It's like your so proud everyone needed to know - like the UK box set.

The sheer volume and fluidity of music and trends is borderline unmanageable, even for the pros. Not to mention that the measuring sticks--formerly a series of weekly charts and magazines--is now a torrent of data feeds and charts that are updated daily or even hourly. In the "on demand" world we live in, when you hear of something, whether its Drake in music or Stranger Things on TV, you're a mere click away from experiencing it yourself. You don't need to wait for the gate keepers to anoint it, a trip to the store or next months issue to get up the learning curve. So by all means we should consider ourselves fortunate that we can revel and dive deep into the stuff we love, sample and dismiss that which we don't and enjoy some of the most efficient communication mechanisms EVER to share our loves and hates with one another. But I think to have an expectation that ANYBODY is on top of EVERY current trend, "the latest in music/film/TV" or even what app to help you sort through it all is a rather misplaced expectation IMHO. When anybody gives me crap about being a music industry professional and not knowing <insert current Spotify chart-topper here>, I laugh at them. That said, I don't understand why ANYONE would wear intentional ignorance as a red badge of courage. Finding out anything is a couple of key taps away. One might not know, but its pretty easy to find out. Unless you don't care (which is fine, by all means spend time where as you see fit) but its sheer laziness to claim ignorance with a corresponding inability to cure it.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's like your so proud everyone needed to know - like the UK box set.
    What? That was a thread about the UK box set, and after a certain point it was about all the problems with the pre-order fulfillment. Not very different from the APB preorder thread. I wasn't proud, THAT I was incredulous about.

Obviously my point in THIS thread is that music that's undeserving crap is largely the top selling music now. Maybe I'm wrong though, maybe it's all excellent.