Thread: Jean-Luc Ponty plays the music of Frank Zappa - King Kong

Jean-Luc Ponty plays the music of Frank Zappa - King Kong

As I continue to discover the music of Frank Zappa, I found what I think is quite a jem in the collection. I just picked this one up and being a fusion lover (and dig violin), this one is really connecting. I have seen Dweezil approximately 6 times, and through his shows, I have been discovering Frank's music. I started with the fusion releases, and they are still my favorites, but somehow I missed this one.

I still have a lot of Frank's music to delve into, but I am really glad I found this one. Would like to know what others think of this Ponty / Zappa collaboration.

Eric

Banned
    Awesome stuff.

You might enjoy the Jean Luc Ponty Experience live album with George Duke. I've read that FZ was in attendance at this performance. The CD has been oop for years.

That's a good one. It's not an FZ album, and yet it is.

I'm still amazed at how prolific Frank was, boggles the mind. A true genius. I will look for that Ponty/Duke live recording, maybe someone will have it.

There was a double LP in the 70's called Cantaloupe Island that had both King Kong and the live record.

To be honest I never got into it much, but as Zappa's first jazz project it has historical interest.

I think it's a bit stiff, especially the 'music for electric violin and low-budget orchestra'. Sounds like they are seeing this difficult music for the 1st or 2nd time and then recording it the first time they can play it without too many clams.

Great players, but not the best from these great players.

I've owned it since I was 16 and I *like* it, but I always want to like it more than I do....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

What I like about these early recordings is Ponty's trippy, psychedelic violin sound, before he became a fusion god.

Isn't this partnership the source for George Duke's, and I guess, Ponty's, inclusion into the Mothers? If so, thank God for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I think it's a bit stiff, especially the 'music for electric violin and low-budget orchestra'. Sounds like they are seeing this difficult music for the 1st or 2nd time and then recording it the first time they can play it without too many clams.

Great players, but not the best from these great players.

I've owned it since I was 16 and I *like* it, but I always want to like it more than I do....
    This is pretty much exactly how I feel about it. Except I haven't owned it since I was 16.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Totally dialed in playing doesn't guarantee that a record will hold up over time. I like this record a lot more than I used to. The musicianship on it is not shabby by any rational yardstick and compositions like King Kong, Idiot Bastard Son and Twenty Small Cigars are just #$%^^!! great and will be around for a long time. There's a kind of Rudy Van Gelder vibe here that can be pretty endearing...especially when FZ adds some raunch to it on How Would You Like To Have A Head Like That. It might be nice if Zappa played more, but it's still a good recording to have stuck the ol' brainbox.

You missed this one, :

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar