Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wakeman WILL attend RRHOF Induction; snubs Howe, White, Bruford in the process

Wakeman WILL attend RRHOF Induction; snubs Howe, White, Bruford in the process

Only standing proudly with Jon and Trevor?

Update 4th January regarding RRHOF:

“I am very pleased to announce that as the Hall of Fame have now agreed to present Chris Squire’s wife with a posthumous award acknowledging his massive contribution to YES, I have agreed to attend the Induction ceremony in New York to both stand proudly with my fellow band mates Jon and Trevor and also to watch Chris’s wife Scottie collect this well deserved award on his behalf. I also hope that this move to acknowledge members of bands who sadly did not live to receive their own honour, means they can get them posthumously in the future”.

It would be funny if ARW was on one side of the stage and the rest on the other; both groups would make separate speeches but never make eye contact.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

I've always liked Rick, but this kind of stuff is just childish. Grow up already.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Have they still to work out who's gonna play what? Should be fun. I knew Wakeman would change his mind.

Note he doesn't explicitly say that he'll play, only attend.

Surprised to read this, there's an article in today's Daily Express saying he won't be attending?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I've always liked Rick, but this kind of stuff is just childish. Grow up already.
    Why is it childish?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Why is it childish?
    Because he's deliberately saying that he's only attending to honour Chris, Jon & Trevor etc, ie snubbing Yes. Pathetic.

FFS, people!

He refers to Jon and Trevor because they are current bandmates (i.e. in ARW). He makes no mention of anyone else in Yes because they're not his bandmates.

The only childishness I see here is people's inability to interpret Wakeman's comments correctly, and that leading very quickly to them completely distorting his words.

Bah!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    FFS, people!

He refers to Jon and Trevor because they are current bandmates (i.e. in ARW). He makes no mention of anyone else in Yes because they're not his bandmates.
    But the other guys WERE his bandmates, specifically for the work he's being inducted for. His wording is quite clearly meant to snub Howe, White et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    FFS, people!

And that's not childish??

Like, they're the Sharks and the Jets and he can't mention his former bandmates by name??
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Because he's deliberately saying that he's only attending to honour Chris, Jon & Trevor etc, ie snubbing Yes. Pathetic.
    Look, I understand people who actually *like* the pathetic fraud that is Steve Howe's Covers Band being sensitive around issues of legitimacy, but Wakemen did nothing there other than say that he'd be proud to stand with his current band mates.

Nothing at all to see here.

In addition to the band walking on water that many here believe has already happened repeatedly, they have also now certainly proved to be clairvoyant and prescient about their RRHOF induction when they recorded DRAMA those years ago.

BTW, I wouldn't call myself a Yes basher, since I do own everything from s/t to Relayer (sorry, not for me subsequently) as well as BBC and extended versions Yes music.

A fine line indeed between loving and worshiping. I choose to worship my grandchildren.
    Last edited by progeezer; 01-04-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Impman View Post
    But the other guys WERE his bandmates, specifically for the work he's being inducted for. His wording is quite clearly meant to snub Howe, White et al.
    Oh well, still gives us an excuse to post incessantly on the topic.

Jon & Trevor are his band mates right now, he'll be standing proudly with them. I see nothing childish about that.

Typical Yes drama. I can't wait for the actual speeches and then the thirty page thread analyzing the tea leaves.

I hope that Rick accepts the award while wearing a gold lamé cape.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Here we go, 40 pages on whether Rick was snubbing the other guys...

I say NO. He was not snubbing YES.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Jon & Trevor are his band mates right now, he'll be standing proudly with them. I see nothing childish about that.
    He could have simply added an "and the guys" or something. He didn't. Clear snubbery.

Only standing proudly with Jon and Trevor?

Update 4th January regarding RRHOF:

“I am very pleased to announce that as the Hall of Fame have now agreed to present Chris Squire’s wife with a posthumous award acknowledging his massive contribution to YES, I have agreed to attend the Induction ceremony in New York to both stand proudly with my fellow band mates Jon and Trevor and also to watch Chris’s wife Scottie collect this well deserved award on his behalf. I also hope that this move to acknowledge members of bands who sadly did not live to receive their own honour, means they can get them posthumously in the future”.
    Caped Superhero strikes again.

Clear snubbery.
    "We want... A SNUBBERY!"

I don't see anything wrong with Rick's remarks.

Jon and Trevor are his current bandmates. He's pleased to see Scottie accept the award for the late Chris.

Oh, yeah, Rick's son Oliver was booted from the band to make way for Geoff. Oliver was a good sport about it, too.

Perspective, people. Perspective.

Hey, it's a Yes thread...

Drama!™
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

For gods sake!!!!! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Mountains, molehills, etc.

I see no snubbing from this comment. I have seen it plenty of times from other Yes members, but not in this case.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just induct the name, "Yes", and move on. Clean and simple.
    The older I get, the better I was.