Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Wakeman WILL attend RRHOF Induction; snubs Howe, White, Bruford in the process

BRUFORD is out of Yes and all this nonsense; also, I read a recent Wakeman interview where he said that he "loved Bruford to bits", so this is a silly discussion, he was only referring to his current bandmates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    BRUFORD is out of Yes and all this nonsense; also, I read a recent Wakeman interview where he said that he "loved Bruford to bits", so this is a silly discussion, he was only referring to his current bandmates.
    Nobody thinks Wakeman was snubbing Bruford, or Kaye for that matter. But Steve and Alan's non-inclusion was telling. IMO and all that

Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson to induct Yes into RRHoF

I'd like to see Carlos Santana induct Journey.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson to induct Yes into RRHoF

BRILLIANT!!!

Along with Lee and Lifeson inducting Yes, I thought just as likely that Santana would induct Journey. It would be pretty funny for the latest Journey singer, Arnel Pidena, to enthusiastically do it since he is a huge Steve Perry fan and knows the band well and is himself a very good singer.

I wonder if this will be good publicity for Yes? I mean will younger fans who love Rush see this and wonder who this Yes band is and get curious?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I wonder if this will be good publicity for Yes? I mean will younger fans who love Rush see this and wonder who this Yes band is and get curious?
    I doubt it.

But I bet the odds go up that an ARW song is released before April 7th!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Without comment.

some geek stuff about this often-cited parrot video of YES lip-synching with parrots: it is taken from a german music and comedy show called “bananas” which ran throughout the first half of the 1980s. while the comedy and sketch bits were a very acquired taste back then (german’s didn’t {know that they} have a sense of humour at that time) the programme was quite revolutionary in its staging of music acts. while YES were probably a lesser example of this along with GENESiS who performed “mama” in a hued setting and DEPECHE MODE, singing “see you” in a chicken shack, the director rolf spinrads took great care in creating little mini movies for each music performance on the show, employing multiple cameras, chroma key and often elaborate and borderline stage props. hence each performance came across as a mini video clip in itself and thus sat so well within the early MTV age that some acts actually retained their performances from “bananas” as official promo films. roger chapman and mike oldfield doing “shadow on the wall” in front of burning car wrecks hanging in trees spring to mind!

so, that's that. the parrots are probably an early meeting of the RnRHoFukupz panel in charge. hope they show this at their induction. hope the yard’s full this time. go, YES!
    Last edited by iguana; 01-27-2017 at 11:09 AM.

I doubt it. The show is on HBO, which most people don't have, is broadcast several weeks after the actual ceremony and historically gets dreadful ratings even for a cable telecast.

For comparison, the Radio Disney Music Awards, (didn't know such a thing existed) broadcast on the Disney channel the same week as the R&RHOF induction ceremony broadcast, drew nearly 4X the viewers. As did numerous TBS re-runs of Big Bang Theory.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...2016/83850702/

If it's any consolation to the many people who whine incessantly about the R&RHOF, it's clear that the general public couldn't care less about it.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    some geek stuff about this often-cited parrot video of YES lip-synching with parrots:
    Huh... never seen that one. Go Tony!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Contrary to the naysayers, of course it's good publicity. It's much better publicity than not being inducted!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Maybe Geddy will play bass with Yes, that would be a great tribute to Squire I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Contrary to the naysayers, of course it's good publicity. It's much better publicity than not being inducted!

Henry
    I doubted the second part about many young Rush fans becoming that curious about Yes. I can see increased sales of Fragile, Classic Yes, 90125 and the ARW album ("With Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Members Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman!") along with somewhat increased ticket sales for both Yes and ARW in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Very witty, Henry! Very witty. You are like a stream of bat's piss.

:: Ponders starting "Neil Peart snubs YES" thread ::
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    :: Ponders starting "Neil Peart snubs YES" thread ::
    I had the same thought
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

They were a big influence on him so I doubt it's anything more than him just not wanting to bother with the whole fuss of the occasion, which is not unlikely for him. I remember him mentioning playing with the Time and a Word album as a youth in one of his books. The Prophet (from that album) was on the pre show music list he compiled and played before their shows (along with Kansas, ELP, Genesis and more) for two or three tours in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    They were a big influence on him so I doubt it's anything more than him just not wanting to bother with the whole fuss of the occasion, which is not unlikely for him.
    As is well known by most reading this, Peart has almost always excluded himself from Rush interviews since... 1981? Lifeson and Lee have almost always represented Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Impman View Post
    He could have simply added an "and the guys" or something. He didn't. Clear snubbery.
    Thankfully the PC police is here to tell us what to be offended by. The rest of Yes probably don't give a shit.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

i was actually hoping for someone a bit younger – if we were to believe the latest press discourse that YES are finally gaining traction with more current acts of considerable indie cred. it does not need to be dave grohl and taylor hawkins again … although they were always very vocal about their appreciation of all things YES. there are even some mutual connections (both were good friends with squire, hawkins and jon davison basically grew up together). anyway, the HOF will probably not care enough.

threesome … erm., trinity , anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    Very witty, Henry! Very witty. You are like a stream of bat's piss.
    I say, steady on...

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    I say, steady on...
    I merely meant that he shines out like a shaft of gold while all around is dark.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    I merely meant that he shines out like a shaft of gold while all around is dark.
    Your majesty is like a dose of the clap.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Just noticed in the Foo Fighters video that drummer Taylor Hawkins' shirt is a Yes shirt. Below the Yes logo is says Chris Squire RIP.

Rush inducting them makes sense---they once said they wished Rush could do a great original arty music like Relayer----funny they mentioned that album as their favorite and Moraz isn't being inducted. Rush never did anything as good as Relayer but they loved the band as did the Foo FIghters as young guys learning to play their instruments. I assume this all could lead Jon Anderson to reunite with Howe and White if a promoter offers for a huge money making Hall of fame tour. He seems bored with ARW already---In the past he talked down Yes west and formed ABWH---they dropped them to go back---they dropped them to go back ---then dropped them to go back.............................................. ......