Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Wakeman WILL attend RRHOF Induction; snubs Howe, White, Bruford in the process

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^The ones I bolded were.
    OK

I don't see how this is 'opposite' at all, or contradicts anything I posted...that is, there was momentum from GFTO that helped Tormato.

Going for the One
    was successful but not at all "huge" by Yes' standards then. Tormato going platinum was hardly "one of the most disappointing follow-ups in history." Based on your previous sentence, I thought you meant sales but now I see you meant artistically.

Also interesting that some have accepted that Drama wasn't as big as they'd thought.
    The only surprise for me is that it hasn't reached gold...yet! I assumed all Yes albums had except the first two until Union but even that went Gold, another minor surprise. Again, based on Drama's charting, it still must be at near gold. Oh, the third surprise is Tormato reaching platinum like a bullet.

It's admittedly worth noting that certification is often decades out of date. I remember checking Genesis' albums and the last time many of those had been done was 1990!

I first heard Tormato in 2004 and couldn't believe how quickly and badly they'd lost the plot. I've softened to it a little, but it will never be a favourite. I'm also amazed that they played 'Circus Of Heaven' live on that tour, whilst not doing 'Onward' and 'Release Release' at all then. ('Onward' has been played quite a bit since.)

I first heard Tormato in 2004 and couldn't believe how quickly and badly they'd lost the plot. I've softened to it a little, but it will never be a favourite. I'm also amazed that they played 'Circus Of Heaven' live on that tour, whilst not doing 'Onward' and 'Release Release' at all then. ('Onward' has been played quite a bit since.)
    I understand they played "Release Release" on the first few dates but dropped it because it was a little exhausting (or something like that).
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

^Yes, I now see you're right- I was thinking of the Wembley shows and forgot they'd already toured the US before that.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    I understand they played "Release Release" on the first few dates but dropped it because it was a little exhausting (or something like that).
    Yeah, there is a boot [poor quality] of Release Release from the tour. Don't Kill the Whale remained in the set list and has featured regularly in subsequent tours, even to this day. And of course Chris and Alan would usually incorporate [Partially] 'On the Silent Wings of Freedom' in Chris's solo spot!

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I just looked it up, and it is the opposite.

Going For The One reached gold in a month in summer of 1977 but then never went on to platinum.

Tormato reached gold and then platinum within two months of being released in late 1978.
    But that's because, I think, the Platinum level was only introduced between GftO and Tormato!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    But that's because, I think, the Platinum level was only introduced between GftO and Tormato!

Henry
    Interesting... from Wikipedia

Presently, an American RIAA-certified Gold record is a single or album that has sold 500,000 units (records, tapes or compact discs). The award was launched in 1958; originally, the requirement for a Gold single was one million units sold and a Gold album represented $1 million in sales (at wholesale value, around a third of the list price). In 1975, the additional requirement of 500,000 units sold was added for Gold albums. Reflecting growth in record sales, the Platinum award was added in 1976 for albums selling one million units, and singles selling two million units. The Multi-Platinum award was introduced in 1984, signifying multiple Platinum levels of albums and singles. In 1989, the sales thresholds for singles were reduced to 500,000 for Gold and 1,000,000 for Platinum, reflecting a decrease in sales of singles.

Hate Tormato all you want. But, I'd bet, if it was released today, most of you would be dancing in the streets and hailing it as a return to their heyday.

We all became so spoiled by the years that preceded it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Hate Tormato all you want. But, I'd bet, if it was released today, most of you would be dancing in the streets and hailing it as a return to their heyday.

We all became so spoiled by the years that preceded it.
    Uh, no. IMO. Tormato was a waste of recording time, tape, vinyl, and anything else it was released on. Definitely one of their worst albums ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Circus of Heaven would be a return to no heyday I could ever fathom.

All I want to know is:

Why the HECK isn't Eddie Jobson being inducted with them? After all, he's clearly visible in the video of their highest charting single of all time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Uh, no. IMO. Tormato was a waste of recording time, tape, vinyl, and anything else it was released on. Definitely one of their worst albums ever.
    It's not even the worst Yes album.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Isn't it usually considered a return to form when Yes releases a new album and it's not their worst?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's not even the worst Yes album.
    You're right - the only Yes album I ever bought and then ditched was Magnification. Probably because I listened while operating heavy machinery once. Haven't bought anything since.

Henry
    But the RIAA site does list platinum status years after like The Yes Album as it sold a million sometime by April 1998. Gold was declared in March 1973, more than two years after it was released in 1970.

But the RIAA site does list platinum status years after like The Yes Album as it sold a million sometime by April 1998. Gold was declared in March 1973, more than two years after it was released in 1970.
    I'm uncertain of the details, but I remember Steve Sullivan looking into this. Earlier sales at Platinum level, as I understand it, won't have been counted when there was no Platinum award to give, but sufficient later sales can still result in a Platinum award.

Henry

I'm uncertain of the details, but I remember Steve Sullivan looking into this. Earlier sales at Platinum level, as I understand it, won't have been counted when there was no Platinum award to give, but sufficient later sales can still result in a Platinum award.

Henry
    I may be reading the above wrong, but you mean that you think Going For the One has gone platinum but hasn't been recognized? That would be inconsistent with The Yes Album attaining platinum status later.

The RIAA site still has a glitch since when I search "Yes Drama" it says "No results found for yes drama". Deep in our hearts, we all know it went gold at some point. It must have. That is part of God's plan!

I love Side 1 of "Tormato." Better than "Going For The One" Side 1.

I may be reading the above wrong, but you mean that you think Going For the One has gone platinum but hasn't been recognized? That would be inconsistent with The Yes Album attaining platinum status later.
    It wouldn't be inconsistent.That might just mean that later back catalogue sales for TYA were stronger.

Henry

It wouldn't be inconsistent.That might just mean that later back catalogue sales for TYA were stronger.

Henry
    I still don't get it. Are you saying GFTO has gone platinum and if so can you show that?

I still don't get it. Are you saying GFTO has gone platinum and if so can you show that?
    I'm saying that Platinum awards for the first three-quarters of the 1970s didn't exist and, as I understand it, sales in that period above Gold are, thus, "lost" from the certification system. Albums surely did achieve the required sales, but no award was given.

Henry

I just saw the RIAA site says "Gold & Platinum" for GFTO but if you click for details it only lists gold in 1977. It seems like it went platinum then based on the first part.

Without comment.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Without comment.
    They should have had the parrots joining in on the chorus.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx