Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Wakeman WILL attend RRHOF Induction; snubs Howe, White, Bruford in the process

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that Bruford wrote the Eclipse theme...
    Chris Squire (1995) : "I pretty much wrote the instrumental sections. The middle Eclipse part and the Apocalypse part at the end, I brought those pieces of music to it".

Surely Bruford must have contributed something, or he wouldn't have been credited, but the bulk of these instrumental sections seems to have originated from Squire.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    UPDATE - 3/8@9:15PM: Here's the update to the Billboard story:

UPDATE: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation sent a statement to Billboard after this story was published denying that Lee would perform at the ceremony. "Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson were only confirmed to do the induction speech for one of their favorite bands and not perform. They, like all the other Yes fans, look forward to honoring them and watching them perform at the induction ceremony on April 7 and the HBO broadcast on April 29."
    Someone ought to tell Alan White - this from a Q&A posted March 30:

Q: Will you be playing at the induction? Will Geddy?

Alan White: Yes, we will be performing and I do believe Geddy has agreed to play bass for the band. We’ll be playing 2 songs that everybody knows. I’m going to New York with a very positive sense of playing together again. It will be a bit of an adventure for everybody but when you put us all in the same room, we all know the songs, so it shouldn’t take too long to rehearse them.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's a Yesterclusterf*ck

The ceremony is next Friday night. HBO will broadcast their edited version on April 29.

Jefferson James
    Look, I've been thinking about this for months now and I really think it would be best if Rick Wakeman didn't attend.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Look, I've been thinking about this for months now and I really think it would be best if Rick Wakeman didn't attend.
    No, no...attending would not be a problem. Playing would probably be OK.
    But if he was allowed to speak all bets would be off.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They should have only the following:

Benoit David
    Trevor Rabin
    Igor Koroshev
    Billy Sherwood
    Jay Schellen

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Interesting post. Thanks for the info. Now that it's been such a long time, it's funny to think that the entire peak period of Yes creativity spanned only six years or so.

Sounds about right, the period between "Meet the Beatles" and "Abbey Road" was only a few months longer.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They should have only the following:

Benoit David
    Trevor Rabin
    Igor Koroshev
    Billy Sherwood
    Jay Schellen
    Without Trevor Rabin and Trevor Horn, Yes would have been finished in 1981.

Of course, Steve Howe carried the flame with progressive hits like the classic "The Heat of the Moment." Asia sounds like Relayer if you listen carefully.

(I don't mean to imply that $teve was a $ellout.)
    Last edited by yamishogun; 04-01-2017 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

Of course, Steve Howe carried the flame with progressive hits like the classic "The Heat of the Moment." Asia sounds like Relayer if you listen carefully.

Asia was still much better than 80s "Yes", which was just pop dreck. Asia at least rocked.

Obviously. Because no band has ever re-united after a lengthy hiatus. There is absolutely no way that, absent 90125, the classic band could have re-united in, say, 1991. Bands just don't do that sort of thing. The very idea of picking some huge band from the seventies and getting them back together has never been tried.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    No, no...attending would not be a problem. Playing would probably be OK.
    But if he was allowed to speak all bets would be off.
    "Thank you for this honour. It's taken a long time but not as long as it's going to take the plumber to unblock your toilet after the curry I had last night. Wow... this is more awkward than being on stage with my ex-wives. Hey Jon, I just saw Vangelis outside - he was asking for you! [clutches stomach] Hang on, I think I need the khazi again..." etc

I agree - it's always been, or become, a problem when he's involved in anything Yes

Why did it take months for you to come to this realization?

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Obviously. Because no band has ever re-united after a lengthy hiatus. There is absolutely no way that, absent 90125, the classic band could have re-united in, say, 1991. Bands just don't do that sort of thing. The very idea of picking some huge band from the seventies and getting them back together has never been tried.

Henry
    Genesis was still huge in the 80s in part because they never broke up then but look what happened in 1997 when they needed a new singer on a solid album - the tour disintegrated. Kansas did well in the 90s as long as your standards drop a bit by thinking playing in bars is success. Styx reunited in the mid 90s with an album that didn't sell well and then an album in 2003 that had to be given away. The same pattern held with Journey and Foreigner as well. Most of the rock world doesn't know that Asia made more than two or possibly three albums.

Classic Yes reunited as ABWH in 1989, put out a halfway decent but often boring album then the stuff on Union followed by the 70 minutes of song samples that sound Yesish on Keys 1 and 2. They finally got going with The Ladder only to fall again with Magnification.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by Chichen Itza View Post
    Why did it take months for you to come to this realization?
    It's my nature to carefully consider all the aspects of a given situation before reaching an unmistakably correct decision.

They finally got going with The Ladder only to fall again with Magnification.
    Fall? What do you mean? Magnification is much much stronger album than very uneven The Ladder.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Genesis was still huge in the 80s in part because they never broke up then but look what happened in 1997 when they needed a new singer on a solid album - the tour disintegrated. Kansas did well in the 90s as long as your standards drop a bit by thinking playing in bars is success. Styx reunited in the mid 90s with an album that didn't sell well and then an album in 2003 that had to be given away. The same pattern held with Journey and Foreigner as well. Most of the rock world doesn't know that Asia made more than two or possibly three albums.
    Lots of bands have reunited after hiatuses and been successful, to varying degrees: e.g. King Crimson, Deep Purple and Gong, for prog(ish) examples. Most bands which were reasonably big have at least tried reuniting after hiatuses, for something whether big or small: Led Zeppelin, Rainbow, The Nice, The Police, Cream, The Beatles, etc.

Had Yes not reappeared for 90125, it seems almost inevitable that they would have reappeared in some form sooner or later. What, when, we can never know, but there would have been more Yes.

Classic Yes reunited as ABWH in 1989, put out a halfway decent but often boring album then the stuff on Union followed by the 70 minutes of song samples that sound Yesish on Keys 1 and 2. They finally got going with The Ladder only to fall again with Magnification.
    Who knows what paths Yes would have taken had 90125 not have happened. It's a great album, and the 2 Trevors great musicians, but I think it a mistake to write Yes off in some alternate history where they didn't do 90125.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Fall? What do you mean? Magnification is much much stronger album than very uneven The Ladder.
    Agreed. Magnification is one of the strongest post-Drama albums IMO. Certainly my favourite post-Keys To Ascension (2), anyway.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

So, only a few days until the RRHOF gig and it doesn't seem clear as to who will play bass. What is the prevailing expectation/opinion?

Had Yes not reappeared for 90125, it seems almost inevitable that they would have reappeared in some form sooner or later. What, when, we can never know, but there would have been more Yes.

Who knows what paths Yes would have taken had 90125 not have happened. It's a great album, and the 2 Trevors great musicians, but I think it a mistake to write Yes off in some alternate history where they didn't do 90125.

Henry
    The classic line up, or one of them, did get back together in 1989 with what I'd say was a half successful album, which at the time I appreciated the positives of ABWH and happy to have over 30 minutes of good Yesish music. But I'd say the Howe side of Yes didn't do so well on Union, most of Keys 1 and 2 (listened a lot when they came out but soon shelved both), OYE or Magnification - 30 minutes good on those even if OYE is sort of a weird pretty good.

The two Trevors of course helped to greatly expanded the fan base but maybe it was still large enough for an ABWH in the late 80s to work anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    So, only a few days until the RRHOF gig and it doesn't seem clear as to who will play bass. What is the prevailing expectation/opinion?
    Anyone who can do this...

The classic line up, or one of them, did get back together in 1989 with what I'd say was a half successful album, which at the time I appreciated the positives of ABWH and happy to have over 30 minutes of good Yesish music. But I'd say the Howe side of Yes didn't do so well on Union, most of Keys 1 and 2 (listened a lot when they came out but soon shelved both), OYE or Magnification - 30 minutes good on those even if OYE is sort of a weird pretty good.

The two Trevors of course helped to greatly expanded the fan base but maybe it was still large enough for an ABWH in the late 80s to work anyway.
    If things were different, things would be different. ABWH was Anderson's reaction against YesWest. If there had been no YesWest, a Yes reunion in the late '80s would have been different. For a start, it would have had the Yes name and sold better!

In this alternate history, has Cinema happened? Been a success, or been more modest? Are Squire/White available? Without YesWest, a Yes reunion in the late '80s probably would have included Squire/White. None of Bruford's electronic drums. If there's no YesWest, do we get songs like "It Can Happen" and "I'm Running" mixed in with "Brother of Mine" and "Quartet"? Do we get a Yes reunion then at all? Why not earlier, or later?

If Cinema stays Cinema, does that make it more likely that Kaye doesn't come back, so the touring line-up for 90125 is Rabin/Squire/White/Jobson? Or is there no YesWest or Cinema because Rabin joined Asia instead? If Rabin is in Asia, do they weather the first split from Wetton differently? Do we see Asia going forwards with Downes/Howe/Palmer/Rabin/random bass player, with "Owner of a Lonely Heart" being the big hit from Alpha? Or is Rabin off working with Keith Emerson and Jack Bruce?

If Anderson isn't back in Yes, what does he do instead? Put more effort into Jon & Vangelis? Oh, and if Cinema isn't happening, then White never shows Trevor Horn the video of Frankie Goes to Hollywood performing on "The Tube", so Horn never produces Frankie Goes to Hollywood. Nor does Art of Noise happen without the Cinema sessions. So, what is Horn doing in this alternate history? Does he get back together with Downes, Squire, Howe and White?

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    I would've thought that Sherwood is the sensible choice, but it's unclear.

That said, it doesn't really matter. This isn't going to be a particularly good performance, is it? It's symbolically important, but I doubt this will ever be anyone's go-to live version of "Roundabout" or "Owner". What matters more is that the whole process puts the inductees in a room together and they have to talk to each other. What happens then?

Henry

I would've thought that Sherwood is the sensible choice, but it's unclear.

That said, it doesn't really matter. This isn't going to be a particularly good performance, is it? It's symbolically important, but I doubt this will ever be anyone's go-to live version of "Roundabout" or "Owner". What matters more is that the whole process puts the inductees in a room together and they have to talk to each other. What happens then?

Henry
    I just hope it doesn't end up like The Hollies one, with an uninvited Terry Sylvester having a microphone taken off him by Allan Clarke. Cringeworthy.

I kind of do hope they 'talk to each other' and work something out. I wish all this 'Yes featuring...' business hadn't made that more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I just hope it doesn't end up like The Hollies one, with an uninvited Terry Sylvester having a microphone taken off him by Allan Clarke. Cringeworthy.

I kind of do hope they 'talk to each other' and work something out. I wish all this 'Yes featuring...' business hadn't made that more difficult.
    In a way, nothing will be a surprise. We've seen Yes shuffle and re-shuffle the pack so many times before, we've seen long periods of hostility and then reconciliations based on notes on napkins, we've been through one cycle of rival bands before. And Yes are far from the only band with similar tensions, as numerous past Hall induction stories show, so you don't have to look far for comparisons. Every likely outcome has been predicted! From frosty silence through to a new union.

My best guess would be that we still see continuity Yes and ARW touring the US this summer separately. But making predictions about Yes is a mug's game.

Henry