Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Wakeman WILL attend RRHOF Induction; snubs Howe, White, Bruford in the process

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post
    question do we think Kaye would still be inducted if he had not been part of the 90125 lineup? would his contributions to the yes album given him enough bump over peter banks? (I still think it is very unfortunate to not have peter banks inducted along with them)
    I suspect we'd have Eddie Jobson inducted instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Seems like Tony Kay is being treated as a footnote in Yes history.
    Well, even their footnotes are 25 pages long.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They should both play, with Howe on Rabin's shoulders.
    This one act would make the RRHOF relevant for the first time. Ever.

Okay, this made me snort rather loudly. What a ridiculously silly image!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    ^ We don't know who's performing. It's not clear they know who's performing. But it looks like it will probably be...

Anderson, Wakeman, Howe, White doing "Roundabout"

Anderson, Wakeman, Rabin, White doing "Owner"

So probably no Davison, no Downes, no Bruford (attending, not playing), no Kaye (probably not attending). Sherwood seems likely to be on bass: Moraz said he would be (but why would Moraz know?). Lee Pomeroy will be performing with ELO, so we know he's available.

Henry
    I read these Yes threads mostly because I am always amazed at how Henry is able to keep all of this crazy, constantly changing shit straight!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Okay, this made me snort rather loudly. What a ridiculously silly image!
    They should st least both play leaning against each other back-to-back, grinning at each other. That'd be something to see. On Owner...

My friend who saw AC/DC back in the day told me that Bon Scott put Angus on his shoulders while he sang and Angus played.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They did that with Brian Johnson as well.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    My friend who saw AC/DC back in the day told me that Bon Scott put Angus on his shoulders while he sang and Angus played.
    Deus ex Machina does this too.

Blue Vino did it first.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Blue Vino did it first.
    Naked!

Naked!
    No manscaping back then, either!

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    I've seen a lot of commentary on the Billy VS Geddy thing. I think it's nice that people are sticking up for Billy, but I think it would be a great missed opportunity, for just this one event, to not be joined by another legend of prog. Especially considering he was a major cheerleader for getting them in, he's inducting them, he's already in, and the fact that Billy is not being inducted and probably never will be (not that it matters).
    I never expected Geddy (or Alex) to play this thing anyway, but I'm just wondering who might have told Billboard that this was supposed to be happening. Did it come from a band member? The Hall of Fame? Billboard looking for clicks?

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I never expected Geddy (or Alex) to play this thing anyway, but I'm just wondering who might have told Billboard that this was supposed to be happening. Did it come from a band member? The Hall of Fame? Billboard looking for clicks?
    Apparently it was Jon Anderson that told Billboard.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...hall-interview
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Here's what's going to happen and you can take this to the bank.

Geddy Lee will indeed sit in with Yes, except his bass rig won't be working (think Metallica/Lady Gaga at the Grammys. Coincidence or...?). Panic ensues until Steve Howe steps up and sings the bass part to Roundabout. Steve Howe knows from his experience doing American breakfast television, that he better be able to jump in and cover anything and everything, should a Yes bandmate not make the gig.

Everything goes swimmingly until Bill Bruford emerges stage right and confronts Rick Wakeman about the whole snubbing business. They decide to settle the matter over tea.

None of this matters, as the only live mic is Alex Lifeson's. Bla bla bla.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Probably an early morning tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Both guys have been playing both songs. There's no reason why Howe and Rabin can't be on stage at the same time.
    Indeed, and they might be. Each could strum along while the other takes lead.

We will have to wait and see what happens. It's still far from clear. Noises from ARW get ever worse: to quote Anderson in one recent interview, "We don't like them" (i.e. official Yes).

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Indeed, and they might be. Each could strum along while the other takes lead.

We will have to wait and see what happens. It's still far from clear. Noises from ARW get ever worse: to quote Anderson in one recent interview, "We don't like them" (i.e. official Yes).

Henry
    Anderson has always spoken warmly of White. I suspect that he doesn't give two hoots about Downes, or, indeed, Davison. The latter is, in effect, a tribute act singer. He knows it, and we all know it. Whatever else one might think of Anderson, he be the bloke who did it all originally.

Sherwood was always going to be a natural replacement for Squire, and I think that would have happened with
    Anderson still in the band.

The real issue, I suspect, is with Howe. My reading of this is that Howe can be extremely difficult and taciturn. Anderson is no angel, but he does have a legitimate grievance here. At the end of the day, he was, effectively, kicked out of the band he formed.

It is a very silly soap opera. Yes always have been.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to seeing and hearing the real voice of Yes in Cardiff this evening. The reason I do not bother with "official" Yes these days is not because of "how they treated Anderson", but I prefer the real thing, not some clone, as talented as said clone is.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Anderson has always spoken warmly of White. I suspect that he doesn't give two hoots about Downes, or, indeed, Davison. The latter is, in effect, a tribute act singer. He knows it, and we all know it. Whatever else one might think of Anderson, he be the bloke who did it all originally.

Sherwood was always going to be a natural replacement for Squire, and I think that would have happened with
    Anderson still in the band.

The real issue, I suspect, is with Howe. My reading of this is that Howe can be extremely difficult and taciturn. Anderson is no angel, but he does have a legitimate grievance here. At the end of the day, he was, effectively, kicked out of the band he formed.

It is a very silly soap opera. Yes always have been.

Anyhow, I am looking forward to seeing and hearing the real voice of Yes in Cardiff this evening. The reason I do not bother with "official" Yes these days is not because of "how they treated Anderson", but I prefer the real thing, not some clone, as talented as said clone is.
    No. I think ARW's complaints go beyond Howe, his taciturnity or what happened in 2008. I don't think they're keen on anyone on that side now: I doubt we'll see Wakeman guesting on any more Billy Sherwood projects, for example. And I doubt official Yes feel particularly positive following ARW's name grab.

If you don't like clones, you've got a problem on either side. I'd rather have Howe playing on the songs he was originally on. I'd rather have Kaye on the songs he was originally on. I'd rather have Anderson singing on the songs he was originally on. That's not available. But I look forward to seeing ARW in London soon, and seeing Yes do Tales in London in a year's time.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

If you don't like clones, you've got a problem on either side. I'd rather have Howe playing on the songs he was originally on. I'd rather have Kaye on the songs he was originally on. I'd rather have Anderson singing on the songs he was originally on. That's not available. But I look forward to seeing ARW in London soon, and seeing Yes do Tales in London in a year's time.

Henry
    You're really comparing Rabin and Wakeman with Davison?? Come on, you know better than that. Rabin and Wakeman brought their own thing to huge selling albums.

The main thing that bothers me with this apparent 'name grab' is the timing. I did think that things were going to get interesting with the formation of ARW but in the year of their R&RHOF induction, it's all very unfortunate.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    i think this is a nontroversy. Sure ARW, mainly Anderson and Wakeman, have gotten in a couple of (IMHO deserved) digs at YesOfficial, but it seems like fans of YesOfficial are frantically scurrying around pulling sound bites out of context in an effort to discredit and smear ARW. The amount of pearl clutching going on over these nothing sandwiches is ludicrous, but I think it shows how much fear there is among those fans of the challenge that ARW represents to YesOfficial's credibility.

YesOfficial's two greatest assets were having a monopoly on touring this music and Steve Howe on guitar. Now all they've got is Howe.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

There are a few folks on Facebook groups claiming that there will be an announcement from the Hall and Yes on Monday (3/13). No word yet on what that could entail, but can't imagine it would be positive news if they felt the need to make an announcement.

Unfortunately the Yes name and logo have been sold to Nickelback who will now be performing at the HOF induction.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Anderson has always spoken warmly of White. I suspect that he doesn't give two hoots about Downes, or, indeed, Davison. The latter is, in effect, a tribute act singer. He knows it, and we all know it.
    True. The thing is, Davison is a pretty charming guy, and accessible, and a lot of people have come to really like him. So a lot of people think of him as legitimate as Anderson. Or at least they're perfectly happy with him. Just saying -- that doesn't really change the soap opera situation you've described.