Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
Awesome!! See, I started during the "dark ages" for synths...my first was the Roland U-20, which was about as far from the "one knob/button/fader per function" as you could get. It wasn't Yamaha DX-7 levels of buried complexity, but definitely wasn't exactly the most intuitive device either

The other nice thing about the softies is for quick sketchpad-type work. Even if the initial sounds are 100% exact, I can bang out a track fairly quickly in broad strokes, then work backwards to flesh things out with more "specific" sounds as needed. For example, I will ultimately track leads with the Voyager but for quick work I can use the virtual Minimoog and have something laid down in a few minutes. That way, I spend the creative part of the process being creative, and the production/sound-design part of the process can come later on. If that makes sense
That makes perfect sense. Some of us--me especially--are very sensitive to having the muse killed by too much fiddling. If I have to fight the process, nothing gets recorded.

And while I started on a 2600 back in 1980, it was a friend's (I sure wish I had one today!). My first synths (other than a cheapy Casio) were acquired in 1985 and were Korgs (DW 6000, EX-800) and a TX-7 mated to my KX-88.