Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre-Nursery Cryme - The Musical Box

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Not the 'drummers polls' again, please. Don't even you get bored of these posts?? All (no exaggeration!) of us are, that's for sure.
    FWIW, Phil Collins was inducted into Modern Drummer Magazine's Hall of Fame in 2012 after having won several polls in various categories over the years (Pop/Mainstream Rock 1987/88/89/90/01, Big Band 2000) – this shouldn't be a criterion of appreciation for anybody who has a clue about music and instrumental technique, of course, but for those who need quantitative parameters for acknowledgement, this should be, uh, helpful

Quote Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
    FWIW, Phil Collins was inducted into Modern Drummer Magazine's Hall of Fame in 2012 after having won several polls in various categories over the years (Pop/Mainstream Rock 1987/88/89/90/01, Big Band 2000) – this shouldn't be a criterion of appreciation for anybody who has a clue about music and instrumental technique, of course, but for those who need quantitative parameters for acknowledgement, this should be, uh, helpful
    Not to mention Neil Peart was in a Genesis cover band before Rush, and counts Phil among the best drummers who influenced him.

Also, John Wetten said Phil is the best drummer he ever played with (and he played with Bruford, Palmer, and Bozzio).

But what do those guys know, Rufus is the guy to ask really.

^^ Back in High School, after I had become a hardcore Genesis freak, I loaned several of my LPs to a good friend who was a hardcore Zeppelin fan. He was unfamiliar with Genesis, apart from my enthusiasm, as they didn't get much airplay at that time. When he handed the albums back to me, the first words out of his mouth were "They've got a great drummer." (Yeah, he liked it all, too.) Likewise, after I made a copy of the Shrine show from the Archives Vol 1 CD for my best friend and his girlfriend, who are old Deadheads/bluegrass fans, the next time we talked, the first thing they mentioned that got their attention on the discs was the outstanding drumming.

Phil did a lot of session work, because he was widely recognized as a great drummer. Impressions of him as a drummer probably took a hit as he morphed into the Barry Manilow of the 80s, and made music that made no demands on his drumming prowess. Nonetheless, any objective appraisal of the man's work and ability will recognize the greatness there. When assessing musicians of any stripe who are above a certain (high) skill level, it's basically splitting hairs, and personal taste bias then comes into play, which renders the polls pretty well meaningless.

Unfortunately, Rufus's posts (like a few others on the board) are almost entirely agenda driven, and can't be considered objective. When you couple that with the fact that he rarely dips his toes below the mainstream surface, he becomes wholly disqualified to render anything resembling an informed opinion of the subject...Game. Set. Match.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Phil did a lot of session work, because he was widely recognized as a great drummer.
    Great Scott, he was on George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, and he was barely out of the starting gate as Flaming Youth and Genesis's drummer. How impressive is that?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)