Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Flower Kings – 2016 recap and look ahead to 2017

The Flower Kings – 2016 recap and look ahead to 2017

Annual TFK recap thread - another year with no new Flower Kings album but once again there was plenty of new material released by TFK family members. Almost so much that I had trouble keeping up with it; seemed like a new CD was showing up in my mailbox every other week for a while there. (yeah I know, it is so difficult the problems we Flower Kings fans have to deal with - lol)

So let's recap them in the order they showed up:

January
    Michael Stolt - En hedonist utan skam
    Not a prog album, a rock album from the former TFK bass man. Lyrics in Swedish. Guests include Roine, Marcus Liliequist, and Tomas Bodin from TFK - Michael has a great voice and I really enjoyed all the songs on this one, songs sound personal and a lot went into creating this. Great solo by Roine on the first song which is probably my favorite

Zoltan Csörsz - The Red Flower - DVD -
    https://vimeo.com/channels/theredflower
    This was put together by Zoltan from video he shot while with the band in the 2002-2003 years. As a big fan I enjoyed it. There is some fun stuff with the band like the scene of them rehearsing "Serious Dreamers" in a hotel room. Most of the concert footage isn't super high quality. One camera usually just a static shot (a nice change from today's concert movies) but the performances are fantastic. Probably just hardcore fans would be interested in this. I doubt I'll watch it too often but the more footage of the band from these years the better I say.

February
    The last 3 Kaipa Remasters were released. Solo, Hander and Nattdjurstid. I already had Solo from the Decca years box set so I didn't get this one. I'm sure most here are familiar with it. Classic stuff. I did pick up the other two and....well, Kaipa was another one of those 70's bands that had an identity crisis as the decade changed. Stolt was gone at this point and they decided to explore a different sound and to be charitable the results are mixed. Hander is the better of the two with some keyboard driven songs sort of like Asia and a few instrumentals that remind of the Kaipa of old. But gone are the Hammond organs, replaced by Prophet 5. Nattdjurstid changes direction to an even more synth pop or new wave techno sound. The Camelesque instrumental "Identitetskris" being probably the best track. Solo is a must have but the other two are for completists only. I do think a decent re-imagining of a proper Solo followup could be made by combining the best tracks from these two and also from Stolt's Fantasia band. They shared band members so it makes sense, I'll have to try this sometime. Will the second Fantasia album ever be re-released?

March
    The Syn - Trustworks (Jonas produced and plays bass on one song and additional guitar and keyboards on others)
    Long in the works new Syn album with Steve Nardelli joining forces with Moon Safari. What a great album this is. I really loved this one. Great songs, Moon Safari shines. A fun and positive listen. For me this is one of my favorites and got a lot of plays throughout the year.

June
    Charlie Faege & Tricky Dogs - Long Away and Far Ago - what a cool find this one was. Roine had mentioned it on his Facebook page and he plays guitar on one long song. Channels a blend of Bowie, Dylan, Young, Zappa with very personal and moving lyrics - If this had been released in the early 70's it would be a cult classic by now, maybe in 50 years it will be.

The Fringe - (Jonas with Randy McStine and NDV)
    proggy rock with a strong emphasis on rock - catchy songs with some pop elements -real 90's power trio stuff!
    This one may have slipped through the cracks amongst the other releases at this time but it is worth getting for sure. The last song "Yours to Steal" is the highlight for me with a searing guitar solo by McStine.

Steve Hackett - The Total Experience Live in Liverpool DVD/CD/Bluray
    Roine on bass and of course Nad Sylvan on vox. After a string of just Genesis Revisited concerts and live releases we got another one but also featuring Hackett solo including new pieces from Wolflight. The new songs are much improved in their live forms and the classic material is played and sung masterfully as you might expect. Fun to see Roine on bass; he gets some highlight time on After the Ordeal trading guitar with Steve. The blu-ray looks great although like most concert films the editor feels they must change angles every 2-3 seconds creating a schizophrenic effect that goes against the mood of the music. Not as bad as the unwatchable KaLIVEoscope but still can someone please sit these editors down and force them to watch The Last Waltz or some other classic concert and show them it doesn't have to be cut like that.

Anderson / Stolt - Invention of Knowledge (Roine, Michael, Jonas, Felix, Lalle Larsson, Nad Sylvan, Daniel Gildenlöw )
    Could it possibly live up to the expectations from Yes and Flower Kings fans? For most people the answer was a resounding YES - easily Jon's best album in a decade or more. There is a whole other long thread on this one so I won't rehash it. I think this album will stand the test of time and be one that Yes and TFK fans will like to revisit often.

July
    Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane Re:visited (Re:mixed & Re:lived)
    Remix of their classic 2002 album - I thought the first one sounded great so wasn't sure about the need for this. But this sounds great as well to my ears. But why not use this opportunity to also include the Japanese bonus track "Thorn Clown" on this remix? - this would give more people a better reason to re-purchase it. Double CD also includes a full performance of Remedy Lane from 2014 concert. Also very interesting and personal liner notes from Daniel.

Also PoS documentary "I Set Myself on Fire" : http://mapenzifilm.se/0-prologue-2/
    Where "The Red Flower" was mostly live footage with some band goofiness thrown in, this is the opposite, not a lot of live footage but very in depth interviews with band members and behind the scenes filming revealing inner turmoil in the band as members leave, return, are fired, hired. Highly personal and revealing documentary. I wish Red Flower had some of this going into the reasons Zoltan left the band. But this is not just for PoS fans. I think anyone interested in music or who is or was in a band will be fascinated by this.

Andy Tillison - Machte Es Durch - solo album from Andy where he plays nearly everything (so no TFK connection per se, but I always consider Andy to be in the Flower Kings family) , I expected an ambient Tangerine Dream type solo album like Fog, there are some songs like that but also more songs that in slightly different forms could have been Tangent songs (The Pursuit of Oil) and how can you not love "Music Inspired By "Music Inspired By The Snow Goose"" - of course we are all so happy Andy 'made it through/Machte Es Durch' his health ordeals and is back making great music - long may it continue!

Karmakanic - Dot - Disc includes DVD with live performances of about half the songs that are on the Live US CD. interviews with all the players, very interesting part with Jonas going through the main epic part by part breaking down the composition - very cool to see and see the creativity that went into it and to see such a happy result. Great release, the epic takes up most of it; not a fan of the children singing section but if a Dad wants to put his kids on his album who is going to tell him no. I really love that epic and the last two songs.

August
    An Endless Sporadic - Magic Machine - music prodigy Zach Kamins second prog effort - Jonas on bass, Roine Stolt guests as well as Jordan Rudess and Navene K - Per Jonas comments "it was by far the hardest recording I´ve ever done on bass from a technical point of view, damn, I was sweating!!!!" I hadn't bought the first one so I thought this would just be some math rock shredding thing but it is much more melodic than I anticipated, all the songs flow so well and the compositions are top notch. After hearing this I rushed to buy the first one which Roine produced, that one is good as well but this second one really takes it to another level in composition. highly recommend.

...continued below...

Part 2 - continued:

October
    Kaipa Da Capo - Dårskapens Monotoni
    Roine reunites with Tomas Eriksson and Ingemar Bergman from his original 70's classic band. Joined by Michael Stolt and Max Lorentz. This new/old Kaipa has been touring for over a year and now have come up with a new album that can rightly be called the true follow up to Solo. Starts off with some beautiful guitar from Roine on the title track - The 2nd song (När Jag Var En Pojk) is so cool how it transitions twice into a different sounding song and the ending theme is just fantastic - classic Kaipa! - also really love the 3rd song (Vi Lever Här ) - as far as I know this is the first and only Kaipa song with lead voice by Roine. I think he has only sung backup on the early albums and the 3 modern albums he did with Hans. Highlight may be the one by the new keyboardist Max Lorentz - the longest song - the 17+ minute Tonerna - he sings it as well making 3 lead singers on this album - somehow it all works though and this really nails the Kaipa feeling both in song writing as well as production and instrumentation. Love the warm sound and the balance between instruments giving it a real 'band' feel. I'd go as far as saying I wish Invention of Knowledge has been produced and mixed like this. As much as I love that album I think the drums are a little too low and for some reason with that mix I get a little ear fatigue but not on this Kaipa disc. Maybe a rawer, ruff mix of IoK exists and will see the light some day. Dårskapens Monotoni was my favorite TFK related album of the year.

December:
    Harmony for Elephants - Unique and important project between wildlife photographer and biologist Lesley Wood and Dr Kate Evans, biologist, elephant researcher and founder and director of the charity 'Elephants for Africa'. The aim of the project to publish a fine art book about elephants and elephant conservation with its own CD album of music specially written for this project. - Nad Sylvan, Andy Tillison, Steve Hackett, Anthony Phillips are among the names involved for this. This was on Kickstarter and more can be read about it here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-album-of-uniq
    I just received this in the mail over the weekend actually so I can't comment on the music yet - the book is absolutely beautiful though - I'd recommend it for that alone. The music promises to be great as well.

So apart from that for other ex-TFK members I could only find one album by Zoltan where he played on "Anouk - Fake it till we Die" not prog related. He has also been playing live jazz gigs. Felix is also busy playing live. I have no idea what Jaime Salazar and Marcus Lilliequist are doing.

Only letdown was nothing new from Tomas Bodin. He did publish two new songs on his soundcloud and if the last song is any indication it seems that his next project will be the final part in his trilogy "He She It Is" that is good news for me because I consider "I AM" to be one of the very best TFK side projects, and "You Are" is also very good.

So very busy year - live shows were mostly Hackett and Kaipa concerts. Karmakanic also did one festival concert.

So what do we have to look forward to in 2017?

Things we know for certain:
    new Pain Of Salvation - In the Passing Light of Day - out January 13

new Tangent - The Slow Rust Of Forgotten Machinery - video for one song already released: "A Few Steps Down the Wrong Road"

Hasse Fröberg & Musical Companion - No Place Like Home - Live DVD should be released early 2017 - the first live dvd release from HFMC - might also have some new songs presented. I think he will probably sing a Flower Kings song or two here as well. Stardust We Are part 3 seems likely.

Nad Sylvan - new solo album and guest spot on new Hackett album The Night Siren

new Moon Safari - Jonas will producing/mixing probably

new Kaipa - the Hans Lundin version of band with Jonas on bass - this is in the recording process now so out sometime next year.

Tours?
    Kaipa da Capo will continue to tour Europe.
    Karmakanic / Tangent should do another combined band tour - probably Europe only
    Pain of Salvation - tour starts with Cruise to the Edge and then continues on to first USA tour in some time.
    Steve Hackett - will tour new album with Nad

live albums and/or dvds could come from any of the above.

other new albums:

Anderson / Stolt 2 - this seems likely at some point (but probably not until 2018) , Jon apparently has already dropped a bunch of files off to Roine to develop. I'm sure Stolt has reciprocated and sent his ideas to Jon to work on. The first album will probably be re-released next year with some extra goodies thrown in. Live shows were talked about for 2017 but I think this is highly unlikely with ARW live dates and new album taking up more of Jon's time. Certainly would be nice though.

Agents of Mercy - ? I was hoping and wishing that the tour Roine and Nad did together with Hackett might lead to a fourth AoM album. I haven't heard anything but I'll just put it here to ask Roine and Nad to kindly please consider it. :-)

Lalle Larsson - new solo album

Finally - new Flower Kings ? - nothing for certain, nothing ruled out. Maybe Roine will do another Kaipa album instead since the new one turned out so well.

Anyway that is all I know - I'm sure 2017 will have its share of surprises as well. Just remember with last years thread looking ahead to 2016 we had no idea at that time about Anderson/Stolt.

What were your favorite releases this year? Did I miss any? Rumors for next year?

Talking with Roine a while back - Flower Kings: most definitely more. Agents of Mercy: no concrete plans, but not ruled out.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Wouldn't be surprised if we see a new 'Transatlantic' album later in the year. It appears a new 'Flying Colours' CD is taking precedence though!

This month I finally opened my cd I bought in 2002 of "Unfold The Future." Just wanted to savor its release for a decade or so!

Fun to explore this new album. Lots of stuff on Disc One to love, but so far not a lot on Disc Two. But that may change!

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    This month I finally opened my cd I bought in 2002 of "Unfold The Future." Just wanted to savor its release for a decade or so!

Fun to explore this new album. Lots of stuff on Disc One to love, but so far not a lot on Disc Two. But that may change!
    Whoa, you waited 14 years to open and listen to Unfold The Future?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Whoa, you waited 14 years to open and listen to Unfold The Future?
    Ya, it's weird. And they're one of my 5 favorite bands. I like to hold one release hidden for years to have something to look forward to someday. I waited 24 years for "Duke" and still haven't heard "Drama" though I bought it in the 1980's.

Ya, it's weird. And they're one of my 5 favorite bands. I like to hold one release hidden for years to have something to look forward to someday. I waited 24 years for "Duke" and still haven't heard "Drama" though I bought it in the 1980's.
    Wow! that's pretty cool actually! Having some albums sitting in the cellar like a fine wine to enjoy at a later date. You will certainly find lots to love on disc 2 as you get to know the album better, you've waited 14 years so just let the music....unfold.

New Kaipa album in 2017 would be awesome!
    The Prog Corner

Jon and Roine' stated that their band would plan a tour in 2017. If they go out I'll come in.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Wow! that's pretty cool actually! Having some albums sitting in the cellar like a fine wine to enjoy at a later date. You will certainly find lots to love on disc 2 as you get to know the album better, you've waited 14 years so just let the music....unfold.
    UTF is my fave.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Wow! that's pretty cool actually! Having some albums sitting in the cellar like a fine wine to enjoy at a later date.
    I've got a ton of albums fermenting.

That is pretty cool, I like that idea.

Unfold the Future is probably TFK's best album, IMO, just in terms of sheer scope and ambition.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've got a ton of albums fermenting.
    yeah I've got stuff I haven't listened to as well but it sure takes some self control to do it with one of your top 5 bands (like yesstiles said The Flower Kings were)

For Flower Kings probably the closest thing I have unlistened to is Retropolis. I bought it when I was buying up all the back catalog some 10+ years ago. I played it a few times but other albums caught my ear more so that one sat on the shelf as others got more play.

I've got lots of albums still fermenting...at various distributors.
    <sig out of order>

Thanks for the recap and overview! Very much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Wouldn't be surprised if we see a new 'Transatlantic' album later in the year. It appears a new 'Flying Colours' CD is taking precedence though!
    All signs point to 2018 or later for more from TA, nothing on the horizon for now.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Any news on a new 3rd World Electric album? I thought I remember reading somewhere on the ol' internets that a second album was planned.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

It would be cool to see a new TFK album this year. Desolation rose was just ok but Banks of Eden was pretty good. They need to put out another album on the level of some of the earlier ones though.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    It would be cool to see a new TFK album this year. Desolation rose was just ok but Banks of Eden was pretty good. They need to put out another album on the level of some of the earlier ones though.

Yes, something with more writing involvement from Tomas Bodin like "Garden of Dreams."

On Desolation Rose I could hear them trying some new things, which is probably why I liked it more than Banks of Eden. I don't want them to become stagnant creatively.

Looks like the Karmakanic / Tangent combined band tour will do at least one US show. They will be at Progtoberfest III October 20-22, 2017 at Reggies in Chicago

"The bands will be traveling here as a six-piece line-up performing the music of both bands. The line-up features members of both acts, including band leaders Andy Tillison and Jonas Reingold, joined by Luke Machin, James Stewart, Marie-Eve de Gaultier and Göran Edman. "

Very heavy Maschine influence in this lineup with James and Marie-Eve - if that list is true it is going to be very weird to see Karmakanic perform without Lalle Larsson, Krister Jonsson, Nils Erikson and Morgan Ågren. Andy is going to have his work cut out for him on keys.

My favouriteFK album!

This new interview reveals a lot of what Roine is up to and plans for the year.

Read the whole thing but some quick hits:
    Flower Kings: "For the moment The Flower Kings is not active. Let’s never say never - but right now I feel no urge to work on any Flower Kings album or touring."

Anderson / Stolt 2: "we have already started mapping out our next album."

Anderson / Stolt IoK re-release: "Right now I mix alternative takes, 24/96kHz and 5.1 surround mixes of the Anderson/Stolt for a LTD edition big art book of this album . It sounds insanely good at 24/96 and the mixes are cleaned up and with way less compression - so dynamics are staggering. A must have for all Jon & all hiFi fans."

Transatlantic: "Transatlantic - I have no idea - it’s not for me to say - but I doubt anything soon - or at all."

Kaipa tour: " We will play about half of new album plus another hour of old songs from 3 first albums ( 1975-79) - it will be a blast - and I enjoy so much to be able to play old tunes like “Korståg”, “Sist På Plan” and “Skenet Bedrar” "

New Project: "I’m in a new recording/band/supergroup project that a still cannot reveal quite yet. But it will be great - or da bomb as they say."

Looks like the Karmakanic / Tangent combined band tour will do at least one US show. They will be at Progtoberfest III October 20-22, 2017 at Reggies in Chicago

"The bands will be traveling here as a six-piece line-up performing the music of both bands. The line-up features members of both acts, including band leaders Andy Tillison and Jonas Reingold, joined by Luke Machin, James Stewart, Marie-Eve de Gaultier and Göran Edman. "

Very heavy Maschine influence in this lineup with James and Marie-Eve - if that list is true it is going to be very weird to see Karmakanic perform without Lalle Larsson, Krister Jonsson, Nils Erikson and Morgan Ågren. Andy is going to have his work cut out for him on keys.
    SRS, I believe they will be in Milwaukee on OCT 22. I hope there will be some rethink as far as personnel as it would be a shame. But no matter, just to see them in any form is great. The cost of touring is of great importance but if ticket sales become acceptable, maybe they will add more members.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Anderson / Stolt IoK re-release: "Right now I mix alternative takes, 24/96kHz and 5.1 surround mixes of the Anderson/Stolt for a LTD edition big art book of this album . It sounds insanely good at 24/96 and the mixes are cleaned up and with way less compression - so dynamics are staggering. A must have for all Jon & all hiFi fans."
    Hopefully he'll also do something with the TFK back-catalog to improve the dynamics, some of the older albums suffer from gain-pumping which I find irritating.