Thread: How you'd describe David Bowie to an ignorant in 3 vids of 60s, 70s & 80s?

Banned

How you'd describe David Bowie to an ignorant in 3 vids of 60s, 70s & 80s?

My choice is

Last edited by Svetonio; 12-22-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Svet, a little goes a long way. I see something like 7 of these threads made overnight. Please don't flood the forum.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Svet, a little goes a long way. I see something like 7 of these threads made overnight. Please don't flood the forum.
    Believe or not, I didn't have intention to post more than these seven, as there are not many so big names that covered those three decades. Actually, at first I thought to make the threads of just The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin and David Bowie, but then I added two really big names from your country that you do not feel neglected...
    So, now you can make your forum policemen Gruno and mozo-pg to return to the station.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 12-22-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The funniest thing is the use of the term "an ignorant." You might want to use "a newbie" or "a novice."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The funniest thing is the use of the term "an ignorant." You might want to use "a newbie" or "a novice."
    I thought about "newbie" but "an ignorant" is more precise, isn't?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    I thought about "newbie" but "an ignorant" is more precise, isn't?
    We don't use "ignorant" as a noun. You could say "a person ignorant of David Bowie" but it has a derogatory tone. Like they are somehow at fault because they're not familiar with Bowie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    We don't use "ignorant" as a noun. You could say "an ignorant person" or a person "ignorant of David Bowie" but it has a derogatory tone. Like they are somehow at fault because they're not familiar with Bowie.
    Oh sorry mister forum cop, I thought that "an ignorant" means a person with lack of knowledge and (or) information.
    Sadly I can't edit the title.

Oh sorry mister forum cop, I thought that "an ignorant" means a person with lack of knowledge and (or) information.
    Sadly I can't edit the title.
    What he's saying (and far be it for me to back him up) is that you have trouble reading idiomatic usage or even "connotation" in American English, or any English for that matter. Calling someone "ignorant" is NEVER a good thing to call them, especially since ignorance is often not the fault of the ignorant. Name me one person who knows everything there is to know. Besides, the idea that any artist is or should be considered universally good or great is ridiculous to the nth degree. So, no, as much of a mortal sin as it is to you, not all of us believe that Bowie or anyone else was awesome. Those of us who don't aren't ignorant, and given that life is complicated, even those of us who don't know what he or his music was about are NOT ignorant. Music always has been a matter of emotional connection, and everybody's way in is unique.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    What he's saying (and far be it for me to back him up) is that you have trouble reading idiomatic usage or even "connotation" in American English, or any English for that matter. Calling someone "ignorant" is NEVER a good thing to call them, especially since ignorance is often not the fault of the ignorant. Name me one person who knows everything there is to know. Besides, the idea that any artist is or should be considered universally good or great is ridiculous to the nth degree. So, no, as much of a mortal sin as it is to you, not all of us believe that Bowie or anyone else was awesome. Those of us who don't aren't ignorant, and given that life is complicated, even those of us who don't know what he or his music was about are NOT ignorant. Music always has been a matter of emotional connection, and everybody's way in is unique.
    You absolutely have no need to write an essay. My intention was just to see how - in three vids - one to describe these really great acts to a person who don't know anything about them. Yeah I put a wrong word but, as you maybe know, only moderators can change the topics' titles; I can't do it.

There are no medals given for starting the most threads, Svet. There are just people figuring out that you have way too much time on your hands.

These people are not all internet police. If you're calling them internet police, does that mean that you're an internet criminal?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    There are no medals given for starting the most threads, Svet. There are just people figuring out that you have way too much time on your hands.

These people are not all internet police. If you're calling them internet police, does that mean that you're an internet criminal?
    I'm always joking on that way with patrolling formations on the forums, but I don't think anything bad.

To an ignorant?? Why bother.

But for the sake of conversation i would have to include this video because in the scope of Bowie this one brings it all home.

Oh, and let's throw the Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars movie out there and just call it one really kick ass 1hr & 26min video.

If the ignorant hasn't figured it out from that point then let them remain ignorant.

You absolutely have no need to write an essay. My intention was just to see how - in three vids - one to describe these really great acts to a person who don't know anything about them. Yeah I put a wrong word but, as you maybe know, only moderators can change the topics' titles; I can't do it.
    I'm just pointing out how your inability to understand the nuances of the language have gotten you into trouble more often than not. I suppose the bigger issue is that topics such as this (who has never heard of so and so?) are important enough to you for you to use this place as your own personal blog spot. Develop a filter, man. You don't have to post every little thing that pops into your head. We all have our favorites. Not all of us has a need to mention or glorify them during every waking moment. Bottom line - you're acting like a fanboy, and you're finding what you think are clever new angles to say the same things over and over again. It was offensive enough for me, a born a bred New Yawka, that you said that you don't like Lamb because it doesn't exude enough "New York" for you (who has never lived in NYC, and would have little to no clue what makes New York "New York"), but this is reaching new heights.

Regards,

Duncan