Thread: Hiromi with Steve Smith on Drums (Journey)

Hiromi with Steve Smith on Drums (Journey)

Just found this on Youtube. Hiromi Trio Project Live in 2011 with Steve Smith on drums. Really great if you love Steve Smith, here he is in all his glory playing with Hiromi.

I actually saw this tour, it was the start of Hiromi's first Trio Project Tour and Simon Phillips was not available until a month or so into the tour. So Smith filled in. This was the last really great Hiromi show I saw. I like how she re-worked classic Hiromi material into the trio format. And I think Steve Smith is a better fit than Simon in some ways, in that he doesn't over-power her, or sound too much like a drum clinic. Hiromi is the main attraction here, and in recent shows I have seen with Simon, it's hard to tell who is the headliner as he often drowns Hiromi out.

Agreed. I love Simon, but Steve Smith is a MUCH better fit here. Bravo this whole over-the-top performance, btw. Hiromi & Co. are spectacular as ever!

Very cool. I'm a huge fan of Hiromi but I haven't been able to see her perform live yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    Just found this on Youtube. Hiromi Trio Project Live in 2011 with Steve Smith on drums. Really great if you love Steve Smith, here he is in all his glory playing with Hiromi.

I actually saw this tour, it was the start of Hiromi's first Trio Project Tour and Simon Phillips was not available until a month or so into the tour. So Smith filled in. This was the last really great Hiromi show I saw. I like how she re-worked classic Hiromi material into the trio format. And I think Steve Smith is a better fit than Simon in some ways, in that he doesn't over-power her, or sound too much like a drum clinic. Hiromi is the main attraction here, and in recent shows I have seen with Simon, it's hard to tell who is the headliner as he often drowns Hiromi out.

Couldn't agree more...seen the trio 2 or 3 times with Simon and I've never felt he was a good fit. I figured if he was fine with Hiromi then he must have been a good fit. We all have our opinions and I stand by mine...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I'll have to watch the video later, but I loved seeing her with Simon. I thought they had great chemistry.

Wish they would turn up the volume on Anthony Jackson, though.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Saw the trio recently with Hadrien Feraud. He fit right in, didn't overplay and got a few sweet solos. Hiromi had sound screens around her, which I hadn't seen before. Simon is fairly loud, as is his set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree - Smith fits in much better.

Steve is an underrated performer. Nice video

I think Steve earned some merit with the Corrado Rustici Trio in Jazz/Fusion (with Peter J. Vettese of Jethro Tull).