Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your First Albums...

1. Deep Purple Made in Japan. Age 8. A friend's older sister had the SOTW 45 and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. Went to the store to buy Machine Head but the clerk convinced me to part with the extra $2 for the live double. Listened to this non-stop until my kiddie record player tore it to shreds.

2. Ringo Starr Goodnight Vienna. A few months later. Good album, actually. One of Ringo's most solid.

3. Chicago VIII. Bought it because of the Harry Truman single. Didn't play it all that much as a kid but still like it a lot today.

4. Kiss Alive. Age 10. All my friends had Kiss albums so I had to have one too. I admit I hated it. Maybe played it 3-4 times in total.

I grew up on the Beatles, there's stories of me rocking my crib with them. AM radio in the 60s, FM radio in the early 70s and Yes Fragile as my first record.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

At age 10 in 1955, after buying 45s since I was 8, I asked for & my liberal parents bought me my very 1st album, Elvis's s/t debut (didn't find out 'til way later that Money Honey was originally a doowop song by the Drifters).
    Wow.

Actually in the UK that album had a very different tracklist, bear in mind that as far as we were concerned, he started with 'Heartbreak Hotel', none of the Sun records had come out here at that point so that's why those singles are on here:

https://www.discogs.com/Elvis-Presle.../master/196487

Don't really remember what the first one I bought was but I do remember the first albums to make an impression on me growing up were The Beatles' 'blue' album and Peter Gabriel's third.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I definitely remember my first progressive rock album - a Christmas gift from my brother in 1975. Genesis Live.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-22-2016 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I used my cassette recorder to tape American top 40 while I was at church Sunday morning.
    Those 120 min tapes had awful quality but got most of the show.
    But Casey Kasem had the intel.
    I did a lot of that as well, particularly with the year end show.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

First album I owned was The Mamas and the Papas, If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears', a present from my sister. I hated it, because I knew she bought it for me as a birthday present basically because she liked it and knew she could then listen to it all she wanted. More or less the same happened when I bought, on her suggestion, The Happenings album including their soppy hit, See You in September. But my next album, bought by me, was one I really wanted and enjoyed: Rolling Stones, Aftermath, in mono. I still have all three vinyl copies.

To frame things up, I'm 55 years old. As a kid I inherited/begged for my older sister's Monkees albums. From there I asked for and got America's self-titled abum ("A Horse With No Name"), Moody Blues / Seventh Sojourn ("Just A Singer In A Rock & Roll Band"), Pink Floyd / Dark Side ("Money") and Edgar Winter Group / They Only Come Out At Night ("Frankenstein") because I fell in love with the aforementioned radio singles. As I got older and became exposed to more music I acquired Zappa/Mothers / Over-Nite Sensation, BOC / Agents Of Fortune, Queen / A Night At The Opera and ZZ Top / Fandango. Things just sort of took off from there. A musical journey I'm still on to this very day.

^ I recall a Christmas, where relatives visited after the presents had been opened, but were still on display under the tree. An older cousin said "huh, huh, huh, I see someone didn't know what to get you" when he saw 3 or 4 albums under the tree with my name on the tag. I had asked for them, so his assumption was way off. I had thought he was a fan of music too, but looking back, not even close to the journey I took.

KiSS “dynasty” & AC/DC “highway to hell”, christmas 1979 (i was 10).

seasons greetings all!

Hmmm...vaguely remember my preteens. Let's see, besides 45s, I think I had these albums pre-prog:

The Beatles - Help
    The Beatles - Revolver
    The Best of Peter, Paul, and Mary: Ten Years Together
    The Moody Blues - Days of Future Past
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I bought two at a department store at Golf Mill in Niles, IL around 1975

Paul McCartney and Wings Band on the Run
    Cheech and Chong Los Cochinos

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by malterb View Post
    I bought two at a department store at Golf Mill in Niles, IL around 1975

Paul McCartney and Wings Band on the Run
    Cheech and Chong Los Cochinos
    Those were amongst my early purchases. I played the Cheech and Chong record to my father and he really found it funny.

If I don't count albums by Heintje and Marty, which were bought by my parents, it would probably be:
    Kayak - s/t

Not counting singles, since I guess they're not albums, probably was Who Live at Leeds. Couldn't believe how realistic some of the receipts and loose misc. paperwork looked inside the jacket. Thought it sounded terrible at first, (crackling noises OK, do not correct)... did not mind the crackling at all after a few listens.

I probably bought a couple of Motown albums first (Sam & Dave probably), the next was almost certainly "Their Satantic Majesties Request", bought because of the 3D cover.