Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your First Albums...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Elton John's Greatest Hits
    Alice Cooper - Welcome to my Nightmare
    A Kiss album and subsequent concert (not sure which one). I got rid of it once I heard decent music.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-21-2016 at 03:11 PM.

First album I owned (as a gift): The Beatles blue album
    First album I bought with my own money: Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

My parents bought me all of the Monkees albums, yeah even "Instant Replay" and "Present" (but not Changes, didn't even know that one existed).

My first albums with my own money were Thick as a Brick, Chicago II and Humble Pie "Smokin'".
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I think the first one I bought for myself was Styx Equinox.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Probably

Rainbow - Rising
    Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
    AC/DC - Highway To Hell
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

im not really sure which album I had first........

as far as 45s, my dad bought me a bunch of singles and a box at a flea market/swap meet when i was 5 or 6 ... it included Chicago, Procol Harem, The Carpenters, Oliver, Don Mclean, The Archies, Ohio Express, The Sweet, and a bunch i cant remember....one of the best gifts ever!!

The Doors - The Doors. I was 9 years old. I had worn out my sister's copy of this disk, so she got me a new one. Still have the one she bought me in 1968.

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets

Bought with my Christmas money December 1968. I was 14. Still one of my favorite albums ever. My sisters had Beatles and Stones and Peter & Gordon and Peter Paul & Mary, but I wasn't into that mainstream shit (!)

Hasn't this been done once again recently??

hors concours: Stand Up (my dad's actually), but I annexed it very soon

Bought with my own money (newspaper delivering)

Crime Of The Century
    Dark Side of the Moon
    Selling England BTP (took me a couple of years to dig that one)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

With "My Money"
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Switched On Bach
    As gifts
    A Cowsills album , probably The Best Of The Cowsills
    An Archies album probably Jingle Jangle
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

1. Simon & Garfunkel: Sounds of Silence. I still have the original copy.
    2. Lemon Pipers: Green Tambourine
    3. Manfred Mann: Pretty Flamingo
    4. Some rip-off album of instrumental versions of '60s hits that I bought for like 49 cents at the Thrifty drugstore. I've done all kinds of searches using whatever info I remember or think I remember about this album but haven't been able to find it.
    5. Iron Butterfly: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
    6/7. Beatles: Magical Mystery Tour & Cream: Best of Cream. I still have the original copies of both.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post

Manfred Mann: Pretty Flamingo
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Pretty Flamingo (the song) is one of my favorite songs. I did it during my folkie years.

At age 10 in 1955, after buying 45s since I was 8, I asked for & my liberal parents bought me my very 1st album, Elvis's s/t debut (didn't find out 'til way later that Money Honey was originally a doowop song by the Drifters).

And the plagiarism of "race" music by whites had begun.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Apart from my brother Robert's record collection (which included records from Uriah Heep, Frampton, Bowie, BTO, Ohio Players, and a few others), and a handful of 8-tracks that belonged to my mom (she had the American Graffiti soundtrack and a couple other similarly themed collections), the first albums I owned were:

Kiss: Alive II and Double Platinum
    The Who: Who Are You
    Bobby Fuller Four: I Fought The Law (no joke, on Mustang Records)
    Queen: Greatest Hits (US edition) and Hot Space
    Rolling Stones: Still Life

My mom used to rescue LP's from the local pawn shops for me. She once brought home a beaten, but still much loved by me, copy of The Rolling Stones 12x5, on London Records. She also told me one time she was at the store, looked at the stack of records, and there was sitting on top, with the back cover up, she said she didn't know why she did it, but she flipped the record over, and realized it was an ELO album (New World Record) and she knew I liked ELO so she bought it. She also bought ELO's Disco?Very! on 8-track for me (she bought a lot of stuff on 8-track for me, actually). I love my mom!

Oh yeah, and there was those Irwin The Disco Duck records. Anyone besides me remember those? They were basically a series of LP's, made up of sound alike recordings of various pop and disco hits. There was something like five or six of them, and I think I had three of them. They all had DJ patter linking the songs together, and the first one, Irwin The DIsco Duck spoke in a very Donald Duck like voice, but apparently Disney brought lawyers to bear to make that change on the subsequent records. But those records were actually my introduction to the music of Paul McCartney (one had Silly Love Songs on it, another had Goodnight Tonight on it). Most of the rest of the songs were all disco tunes, but still, I learned how to appreciate funk guitar playign listening to the version of Le Freak on the first record.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    A Kiss album and subsequent concert (not sure which one). I got rid of it once I heard decent music.
    You already were listening to decent music. Describe the album cover!

Eric Mercury - Electric Black Man

Wings - Band on the Run
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

The Beach Boys-Endless Summer
    Journey-Escape

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

Please Please Me
    Rolling Stones 1st
    Animal Tracks with House of the Rising Sun
    She's Not There 45
    My Generation 45

Ocean: Put Your Hand in the Hand. The hit and a version of “Will the Circle Be Unbroken” are literally the only good tracks. The rest is dire! As a young one, I was already geeking out on label design; the best thing about this LP was the Kama Sutra label. Being in single-digits, I was young and innocent, and the “naughty” aspects of the label name flew right past me.

Some years later, I got Breakfast in America by Supertramp (on vinyl) and On the Third Day by ELO (on cassette), which were a lot closer to my eventual adult tastes.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Beatles:
    Yellow Submarine soundtrack
    Help
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Sgt. Pepper

American Grafitti soundtrack
    2001: A Space Odyssey soundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
    The Beach Boys-Endless Summer
    Oh yeah, I had that one too. As I recall I traded my frelled up cassette copy of Double Platinum to an older kid at school for it.

Hey Folks... I want to play!

After I moved on from using my 'Realistic' top load cassette player with plug in microphone, and me recording songs right off the radio, my first two. and in questionable order, were Jethro Tull Benefit (Chrysalis Green Cassette) and ELO Two on Vinyl. What a fantastic trip it has been!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^I had the same type of cassette player/recorder for years and did the same. They were a ton of fun to mess around with.

Another of the first pop recordings I owned was a Bobby Sherman 45 cut out of the back of a box of Super Sugar Crisp.

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Hey Folks... I want to play!

After I moved on from using my 'Realistic' top load cassette player with plug in microphone, and me recording songs right off the radio, my first two.
    I did that too. I used to borrow records from the library and tape them that way, too. Thankfully, we eventually got a stereo with a built in cassette deck, and I was able to record stuff that way. I remember copying The Who By Numbers, Kiss Unmasked, and a few other records that way.

I used my cassette recorder to tape American top 40 while I was at church Sunday morning.
    Those 120 min tapes had awful quality but got most of the show.
    But Casey Kasem had the intel.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain