Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you miss the old PE?

Do you miss the old PE?

Not trying to make anyone cry or anything. As Jon Anderson might say "change we must."

I have to admit that I'm still getting used to this site. For those that don't know I was Prog_Traveller on there and have traveled over to the new version of PE with some reluctance at first and a new user name. Ultimately I did make the switch though but for some reason it's not the same. It's not PE it's me. However, pretty much everything is the same but with a lot of added features. I suppose it will just take time for Sean X 2, Duncan and whoever else to add all the old polls and other stuff(if they haven't already). So yeah I'm still getting used to PE v 2(or is it 3)and although I don't post as much as I used to(even then I never posted as many as some of you but many of you know who I am and some of you hate my guts(and I'm perfectly ok with that since you can't please everyone).

Anyway, I am starting to warm up to this place a bit. Prog on!!!
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 01-28-2013 at 01:06 AM.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

If the 2nd oldest person here (I yield to Adap2it and maybe Mo if he comes clean) can embrace change, which is something that gets harder as you get older, then logic (damn, I used that non-PE word again!) would dictate that all the young, savvy IT Geeks & Freaks would have much less of a problem accepting change.

I think you'd have better luck exhuming Bonzo for a Zep reunion than going back to v.2, EVEN IF THEY COULD, which they can't.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

When I was a kid we had 3 channels and they didn't even stay on at night! And in the morning it was like, The Farm Report and shit until Captain Kangaroo came on but after that you had to watch Phil Mother-f**king Donahue. And we liked it! Kids today, damn 300 channels of crap like Jersey Shore or My Little F**king Pony. GET OFF MY LAWN!!

I've embraced the new PE - I mean, look: Here I am reading and posting and everything! - but there was something extra cozy about the interface of the old site, and I do miss it. Even though I'm here a lot, I don't participate as much and it's really not as inviting to me. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but there is something less intuitive to me about the new format. Plus, I miss the spinny globe thing.

But, as Eugene Morgan says in Magnificent Ambersons, "When times are gone, they're not old, they're dead. There aren't any times but new times."

So I just have to get with it.

Besides the spinning globe thing, no. Click on New Posts. That's about it if you want simplicity.

Much prefer the new one. Don't miss the old one at all.

The technical functions and the overall gloss are way better here. But I'm sorry to have to say that so far, the level of discussion is significantly lower; more uniformly "Big Names"-based, less opening for intricate discourse due to a seeming lack of overriding historicism with many participants, less consistent contribution from some of the Grand Ol' Folks, "back to base" as far as the eternal "what is prog?" debacle is concerned. And so on.

The old PE more or less ended with a 900+ posts thread on the latest Thinking Plague release. Somehow I could never see that happening here - SO far. Just sayin'.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Some things I like, some I don't. I'm not that big on the mark all forums as read thing. I have activated this twice, without meaning to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    When I was a kid we had 3 channels and they didn't even stay on at night! And in the morning it was like, The Farm Report and shit until Captain Kangaroo came on but after that you had to watch Phil Mother-f**king Donahue. And we liked it! Kids today, damn 300 channels of crap like Jersey Shore or My Little F**king Pony. GET OFF MY LAWN!!
    rotflmao

but they did play the star spangled banner before they'd let you go to sleep.

weren't those the days?

excuse me, gotta go watch the lawn. who the hell is on my lawn?

Definitely gotten used to this one.... and never doubted I would.... even if I still have some nostalgia of 2.0 and its intuitive nature (3.0 is NOT intuitive at all, IMHO), the new place has grown on me...

- nice not to have to worry about life expectancy of threads and PM
    - some of these inside-threads shortcuts are quite handy, but only remedy to the vast amount of unnecessary clicks if you don't use them, though I find that these shortcuts are not always "on the dot" in terms of precision (I've been to sites where it's more accurate)
    - hopefully more PE members will use the search function to see if existing threads are available rather than opening a new one... I say this because the threads are more or less perenial now, whereas they weren't before... So it might still take some time for some to realize this...

- A few points that could be fixed (if possible)
    These roll-down menus don't unscroll unless you click on them... another useless click
    Place the PE Groups access on the blog and chatroom toolbar level, instead of a roll-down menu
    Hopefully the future PE polls will be on that toolbar too
    The navigation in and out of the groups is also requiring too many clicks
    we have less smiley/emoticons too choose from, and the wide grin is not nearly as nice as the previous one

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Besides the spinning globe thing, no. Click on New Posts. That's about it if you want simplicity.
    No use to me.... I don't care to see a page where 3/4 of the new posts are "whatever happened to?" threads... the only time I use that or the "what's new" feature, it's to get back quicker to the forum, but even then, it could be quicker by suppressing the three main forum page and replace it with the full 10-section forum menu...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    But I'm sorry to have to say that so far, the level of discussion is significantly lower
    Well yeah, but this dirge was already happening in the last few months of 2.0... it's cyclical, I think and not linked to the birth of 3.0... I find that 3.0 is slowly picking up speed in terms of quality threads, but has yet to develop in terms of depth...
    the lack of quality threads also made it tougher for me to adapt to 3.0 at first, and further coupled to a migration to windows 7 and Office 10 at work ...
    It doesn't help either that three of the better threads (IMHO) were closed to, and another was close to that as well (the I hate Jazz thread)

Conclusion: I liked it at first (though I difn't show it that much) and now love it, but it could be even better with a few changes (provided they're possible)
    Last edited by Trane; 01-28-2013 at 07:13 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Do I miss the old PE?

No. What makes PE a nice hangout is the content. I might miss a technical aspect of the old PE here and there. For example, I miss the selective quoting function of the old PE. You can do that here too but it's cluncky and tedious. I'm not sure I've mastered mutiple quoting yet either so I just wing it. I do like that there are multiple forums though. At first it was a little intimidating but after a while you kind of get into a rhythm. I'm gonna sound like a sour puss now . I'm really happy that the Happy Birthday threads are in a separate forum because that way I don't have to see them at all. I know that you can see them if you use the "new posts" function (which is what I mostly use anyway), but I've noticed less, and less Happy Boithday Threads since we migrated.

What I think intimidated a lot of the old users was how granular this site is. When you give us too many choices and functionality the whole thing can become daunting. I remember how it seemed that everyone went gaga over private clubs. It's like "hey everyone, let's get this thing going" and everyone just scurried into their little underground clubhouses. Seriously, I was amazed at how difficult the transition was for some members. God, all the psychology, and oh the humanity .

Uhm, no I don't miss the old PE.

I've adapted to this version. The one thing I miss is having the Main and Off-Topic forums combined. But I'm not complaining. it's a small thing.

Hey, Fred. How about some PING PONG BALLS!

Nope.

This place kicks the old place's ass in every possible way.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    - nice not to have to worry about life expectancy of threads and PM
    Absolutely LOVE this.

Place the PE Groups access on the blog and chatroom toolbar level, instead of a roll-down menu
    Hopefully the future PE polls will be on that toolbar too
    I agree - this would be nice.

we have less smiley/emoticons too choose from, and the wide grin is not nearly as nice as the previous one
    Minor quibble, but I completely agree. I miss the emoticons from the old site, and would love to see more that I've seen on other forums.

<<regarding "New Posts">>No use to me.... I don't care to see a page where 3/4 of the new posts are "whatever happened to?" threads...
    This statement proves that you don't use this feature. There's only 1 "Whatever Happened to..." thread. The rest of the page is like a "current events" for the forum. Absolutely the best feature of the new forum.

Well yeah, but this dirge was already happening in the last few months of 2.0... it's cyclical, I think and not linked to the birth of 3.0.
    Agree again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Do I miss the old PE?

No. What makes PE a nice hangout is the content.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I've adapted to this version. The one thing I miss is having the Main and Off-Topic forums combined. But I'm not complaining. it's a small thing.
    Dude...you NEED to use "New Posts."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This statement proves that you don't use this feature. There's only 1 "Whatever Happened to..." thread. The rest of the page is like a "current events" for the forum. Absolutely the best feature of the new forum.
    OK, my bad.... it's the "What's New" feature (upper toolbar) ... not the "New Post" just below
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Hey, Fred. How about some PING PONG BALLS!
    You're not getting me with that one Mr. Moose!!

Not at all. This one is far superior IMO. It's much quicker and has some great features. I do miss the selective quote simplicity but that's my only real gripe.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Nah. I did at first but got over it quickly.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Not at all. This one is far superior IMO. It's much quicker and has some great features. I do miss the selective quote simplicity but that's my only real gripe.

If I could selectively quote just the second sentence, I would

But yeah, that's my only beef with PE.2, but it's a big beef.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Dude...you NEED to use "New Posts."
    I'm Mr. Dude. but you can call me dave. Did I do something wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'm Mr. Dude. but you can call me dave. Did I do something wrong?
    No, no, not at all. And sorry not to use your proper name.

I'm just suggesting that if you click on "New Posts" at the top of the screen, you basically get a similar page to the old combined forums.

I find myself visiting less threads, but it's fine. I do, however, wish the quoting function was available in the groups without going a roundabout route.

Banned
    This site is fine, I don't miss the old one. Peole who complain how "Complicated" or "Non-user friendly" is it...seriously then...how do you even know how to turn your computer on if you think this site is complicated?

Not in the slightest.