Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Album - Steve Hackett "The Night Siren"

New Album - Steve Hackett "The Night Siren"

http://www.hackettsongs.com/news/newsAlbum20.html

As a big Steve Hackett fan this is exciting. I would like to see a lot more instrumental work (less vocals), as I am not a big fan of the processed vocals that have been on his last few releases. Based on the information, I am hoping this is a very diverse collection. I am still hoping to see a tour date in my area, he has hit The Egg in Albany on his previous tours, but so far.......nada.

New solo album The Night Siren released on 24 March 2017!

* PRESS RELEASE *

Guitar virtuoso and rock legend, Steve Hackett (formerly of Genesis), releases his latest album The Night Siren on 24th March 2017 through InsideOut Music (Sony). As implied in the title, The Night Siren is a wake-up call... the warning of a siren sounding in this era of strife and division.

The Night Siren showcases Steve's incredible guitar playing as strongly as ever, along with regular Hackett collaborators and also musicians from several different countries who Steve invited to join him in celebrating multicultural diversity and unity. This includes singers from Israel and Palestine, who both actively campaign to bring Jewish and Arabic people together. There are also instrumentals from the USA and Iraq and a multiplicity of sounds, including the exotic strains of Indian sitar and Middle Eastern tar and oud, the ethnic beauty of the Peruvian charango and the haunting Celtic Uilleann pipes.

Steve is widely travelled, making friends everywhere he goes and has always embraced multicultural diversity. In these times of unrest, he has been inspired to express his belief that the world needs more empathy and unity. His wish to involve a range of musical sounds, instruments, musicians and singers from different parts of the world is both a development of his eclectic approach to music and shows how people can be brought together, even from war torn regions.

Talking about his latest work, Steve says, "This latest waxing represents a bird's eye view of the world of a musical migrant ignoring borders and celebrating our common ancestry with a unity of spirit, featuring musicians, singers and instruments from all over the world. From territorial frontiers to walled-up gateways, boundaries often hold back the tide. But while the night siren wails, music breaches all defences. To quote Plato, 'When the music changes, the walls of the city shake'."

The musical journey takes us from 'Behind the Smoke', focusing on the plight of refugees throughout the ages, to the penultimate track 'West to East' which reflects on the damage of war and the hope for a better world. From personal to universal, the themes celebrate the life force, breaking free from chains of repression.

The album features: Steve Hackett (guitar & vocals), Roger King (keyboards & programming), Nad Sylvan (vocals on Inca Terra), Rob Townsend (all things wind), Amanda Lehmann (vocals), Gary O'Toole (drums), and Benedict Fenner (additional keyboards & programming). Also featured are singers Kobi and Mira (Israeli and Palestinian), Nick D'Virgilio (drums) from the USA, Malik Mansurov (Tar) from Azerbaijan & Gulli Breim (drums & percussion) from Iceland. Additional musicians who add to the rich flavour of the album are Christine Townsend (violin & viola), Dick Driver (double bass), Troy Donockley (Celtic Uilleann) and Leslie Bennett (keyboards on The Gift).

Full Track Listing:-

1. Behind the Smoke
    2. Martian Sea
    3. Fifty Miles from the North Pole
    4. El Niño
    5. Other Side of the Wall
    6. Anything but Love
    7. Inca Terra
    8. In Another Life
    9. In the Skeleton Gallery
    10. West to East
    11. The Gift

The Night Siren will be released through Inside Out Music on 24th March in the following formats:
    Special Edition CD/Blu-Ray Mediabook featuring 5.1 surround sound mix & making of documentary: 88985410452
    Standard Jewel case CD: 88985410462
    Gatefold black 2LP vinyl + CD: 88985410471
    Digital Download

Album artphotos by iconphoto.ch

Steve Hackett is returning with an exciting new show Genesis Revisited with Classic Hackett for a 15 date UK tour in April 2017. Celebrating the 40th anniversary of the classic Genesis album Wind and Wuthering, Steve and his band will be performing several tracks from the album as well as fan favourites such as 'The Musical Box' and other Genesis and solo numbers never performed before by Steve's band including 'Inside & Out,' 'One For The Vine' and 'Anyway' as well as material from The Night Siren.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Wow. When the hell did he have time to record this? Steve's activity and output in recent years has been inspiring.
    Chad

I agree. This sounds interesting, to put it mildly! I ended up really liking most of Wolflight. I just wish he'd come to Korea...

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Wow. When the hell did he have time to record this? Steve's activity and output in recent years has been inspiring.
    Agreed, seems like he has been on the road for the last 5 years, and still puts out albums on a regular basis - inspiring to say the least!

I was hoping Nad would sing on the whole album...
    The Prog Corner

Good to know! I'd like a bit of a shake-up in direction but whatever, I'm amazed at his work-rate- he's busy almost all year round, and seems to still genuinely enjoy it.

His workrate is astonishing...he'll be touring Genesis Revisited again next year as well! All power to him, it's great to see him doing so well. I remember when I got Wild Orchids ten years ago (the first album of his I bought 'new'), I felt his profile was quite low for a member of such a popular band. That's changed a lot in ten years.

I have to say though that I'm hoping for a shift in direction here. Recent releases have been a bit samey for me, particularly with regard to the production style. I'm looking forward to it nevertheless.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-27-2017 at 12:32 PM.

I'm hoping for no synthetic bass or drums this time.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    His workrate is astonishing...
    Although I'm guessing that in his mind he's just keeping up the same pace he did back in the 70s, even after he left Genesis. What's nice is that he's obviously really enjoying where he's at right now. No doubt the recent successes of the Genesis Revisited tours have also spurred him on.

But I'm just wondering why he doesn't call the album "F*ck Brexit".
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I have to say though that I'm hoping for a shift in direction here. Recent releases have been a bit samey for me, particularly with regard to the production style. I'm looking forward to it nevertheless.
    Agreed, I'm not a big fan of the processed vocals, and as you've stated, the production is samey. I would like to hear the band really tear through some instrumentals. I love the woodwinds from Townshend, and you know Gary can tear it up on the drums, let them play!!!

Excited ---love Hackett ----and love the album cover. I was hoping he'd change his musical direction a little but this sounds like it's going to be in a similar vein to his recent work. Hackett keeps the prog dream alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Agreed, his output has really been amazing, and all of it high quality. I will be seeing him in February.

Front Row for the Reading PA gig....Soooo Stoked!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I was hoping Nad would sing on the whole album...
    And I was hoping Hackett's brother would play flutes on the album...
    I suspect 'Inca Terra' is going to feature some Kechua's flutes(kenas and/or zampoñas), since Hackett's always admired Andean folk, as well as Oriental and Middle Eastern - one can feel the resemblance between these three folk styles on his tune 'The Red Flower Of Tachai Blooms Everywhere'.

However utopic tbis new venture of his might seem, I've always admired every Steve's new project, so now I'm hoping his brand new ideas will render another fruitful project.
    I wonder if his daring project also would want to quote someone I don't recall now who once stated:
    "What music is supposed to unite , man should not take apart."
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Robson View Post
    And I was hoping Hackett's brother would play flutes on the album...
    Doesn't John Hackett have health problems that make it hard for him to play? I recall seeing him some years ago, and he was using an odd angled mouthpiece which put the flute out in front of him like a clarinet - apparently because he could not play it in the usual position off to the side.

John has been touring with his own band. He recently played at some of Hacketts acoustic gigs!

Sounds very promising. Great to see Steve being so prolific with new material as well as honoring the old. I was hoping Nad Sylvan would have been brought in for the entire album instead of just a guest spot; also hoping for a Roine Stolt guest spot or maybe even sitting in the producer chair to change up the production. But it sounds great and will be an auto-buy

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Doesn't John Hackett have health problems that make it hard for him to play? I recall seeing him some years ago, and he was using an odd angled mouthpiece which put the flute out in front of him like a clarinet - apparently because he could not play it in the usual position off to the side.
    Yeah, he was in a road accident (car? motorcycle?) and busted up his shoulder pretty badly. For a while it was thought he wouldn't be able to play the flute again, but that mouthpiece fortunately has saved him from that cruel fate. One of my best friends saw the Steve Hackett Trio play in Kent, Ohio a number of years back and spoke with John after the show, and this was the topic of their conversation.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    Agreed, I'm not a big fan of the processed vocals,
    I thought I'd agree, but on the Wolflight+ tour the "processed vocals" worked surprisingly well live during the first half of the show until Nad came on. And they allowed Hackett to establish himself front-and-center, even on the vocal songs, before ceding the singer role to Nad for most of the rest of the show.

He tours so much that I guess he has to think about how to make the stuff work on stage.

A prog guitar legend that holds the mantle high in his love of the genre, unlike his former sell-out band mates. And like a fine wine, his guitar playing seems to get better and better. Just an amazing talent, and truly a very nice, humble guy. Thank you Steve!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    I thought I'd agree, but on the Wolflight+ tour the "processed vocals" worked surprisingly well live during the first half of the show until Nad came on. And they allowed Hackett to establish himself front-and-center, even on the vocal songs, before ceding the singer role to Nad for most of the rest of the show.

He tours so much that I guess he has to think about how to make the stuff work on stage.
    Interesting perspective indeed , a matter that never bothered me to the point of compromising my appreciation of Wolflight. Another interesting point of note is that his sung melodic lines are always perfectly fit to his voice limitations, which also tells very well about him as the great composer he indeed is.
    "Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth. ". Ludwig van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Yeah, he was in a road accident (car? motorcycle?) and busted up his shoulder pretty badly. For a while it was thought he wouldn't be able to play the flute again, but that mouthpiece fortunately has saved him from that cruel fate. One of my best friends saw the Steve Hackett Trio play in Kent, Ohio a number of years back and spoke with John after the show, and this was the topic of their conversation.
    Thnaks for the info about John Hackett, fortunately that accident didn't compromise his great prowess with the flutes.

Would love to see the acoustic format in the states again, was lucky to see that show.

I noticed on one of the concert DVD's when John was announced, he came on stage & one of his arms moved "differently." I thought he had a stroke. I hope it was early in his recovery period. My "auto-buy" pilot light has been put out a while back. I'll wait to give this one a listen, but I shall be anxiously awaiting.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Just got off the phone with Steve after an hour-long interview about this album, which I've had a review copy of for a few weeks now. I think it's excellent, one of his best latter-day albums in fact. Should please most fans of his work!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^Good to know! I'd like a bit of a shake-up in direction but whatever, I'm amazed at his work-rate- he's busy almost all year round, and seems to still genuinely enjoy it.
    He's very proud of this one, and being that I am the first person he has spoken to who has heard the album (outside of his 'circle', obviously) he was quite keen to hear my thoughts. Thoroughly enjoyable interview, and I snuck in a few questions for my own curiosity.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***