Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New Deep Purple

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    ^ Yeah most people don't care about the new stuff. The other night loads of people bolted after Smoke on the Water which was sad to me. That's the least interesting song, IMO, they play and people only know that one it seems.
    I agree. I've hated that song for many years. Seems there should be two bands on this tour, especially as it may be Purple's last. Last or not, three bands is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I agree. I've hated that song for many years. Seems there should be two bands on this tour, especially as it may be Purple's last. Last or not, three bands is too much.
    And, considering how long it takes Edgar to end his songs, that first set can really drag on. Last time I saw him, he played three songs and the set was 45 minutes.

I love Edgar Winter, but he really can't seem to efficiently end something like "Tobacco Road." Is he playing that? What is he playing during his opening sets?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    And, considering how long it takes Edgar to end his songs, that first set can really drag on. Last time I saw him, he played three songs and the set was 45 minutes.

I love Edgar Winter, but he really can't seem to efficiently end something like "Tobacco Road." Is he playing that? What is he playing during his opening sets?
    Saw Edgar open for Todd Rundgren and The Zombies at the Sausalito Art Festival last year. He did play Tobacco Road and all his hits. The band was excellent. I have no problem
    with songs dragging on. I thought this was a prog website!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    ^ Yeah most people don't care about the new stuff. The other night loads of people bolted after Smoke on the Water which was sad to me. That's the least interesting song, IMO, they play and people only know that one it seems.
    Absolutely. I've known a guy, who was Metaliica fan, and the only DP song he knew was SOTW.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Absolutely. I've known a guy, who was Metaliica fan, and the only DP song he knew was SOTW.
    That's equal parts infuriating and heartbreaking. But this is what radio has done to all the great bands. Besides, you'd think people would at least know Highway Star or Woman From Tokyo...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    I have no problem with songs dragging on.
    If it's well-done improv, then it's not dragging.... though even then, it's still a good idea as a rule to mix up the epic jams with a shorter piece or two.

I first read the efficient-endings comment as a complaint that Edgar suffers from the AC/DC-style "let's stretch that last chord for a full 20-30 seconds" habit. There's no good way to do that once, let alone for practically every song.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    If it's well-done improv, then it's not dragging.... though even then, it's still a good idea as a rule to mix up the epic jams with a shorter piece or two.

I first read the efficient-endings comment as a complaint that Edgar suffers from the AC/DC-style "let's stretch that last chord for a full 20-30 seconds" habit. There's no good way to do that once, let alone for practically every song.
    Edgar treats his voice like a musical instrument. So, sometimes, he's goes off a bit long. I don't particularly mind it. But, some lose patience with it. That being said, the ABB suffered from the same thing at times.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I didn't see Edgar, except for the last two thirds of Frankenstein, because of the line at the merch counter. I did get to hear a fair bit with the piped in music and he did seem to go on a bit. Lot's of scatting and gibberish similar in style to Ian Gillan, I thought.

Besides, you'd think people would at least know Highway Star or Woman From Tokyo...
    No Woman From Tokyo this time around - pun intended - and no Black Night either.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Yeah, that's where Edgar goes overboard, with the scatting at the end of "Tobacco Road." Don't get me wrong. I love the guy. He's a monster talent and really great person. Johnny is one of my all-time favorites and I regret never getting a chance to see them together.

Like I stated, when I last saw Edgar, he played three songs, lasting 45 minutes. One was "Free Ride," which he neither wrote nor sang on the original. That was standard length. "Frankenstein" was about 20 minutes and (UGH!) had a rap section. (This was in the 90s.) "Tobacco Road" was where he finished and was about 20 minutes. It was one of those 70s rock and pop shows and Edgar really was not a good fit for the bill, which included Three Dog Night and the Little River Band, among others. Since it was not Edgar's audience, the crowd hated him. ESPECIALLY, the endless scatting.

Going to see this tour at Jones Beach Theater in a couple weeks.

We got backstage passes!! Apparently Steve Morse has severe carpal tunnel and can no longer pick using his wrist.

He's been "forearming it" as of late.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Just got off the phone after a terrific interview with Don Airey... what a great guy! The Purple/Priest tour is coming around this summer!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Just got off the phone after a terrific interview with Don Airey... what a great guy! The Purple/Priest tour is coming around this summer!
    I may go see this "screaming" tour when it comes to Montreal. My only reservation is that each band gets a to do a shorter set but that always happens when you have a double bill unless they trade the headlining band slots every other night. Keep your earplugs handy...

Just listened to the new one (ok, it's been out a while!). It's OK. Kind of samey regarding tempos. Ian Gillan has become somewhat of a rapper. Nice, solid playing, but nothing special. Don Airey is very good on it.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Going to see this tour at Jones Beach Theater in a couple weeks.

We got backstage passes!! Apparently Steve Morse has severe carpal tunnel and can no longer pick using his wrist.

He's been "forearming it" as of late.
    Check out the Dixie Dregs thread(s) here. Saw them a few weeks ago, and Morse did fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Check out the Dixie Dregs thread(s) here. Saw them a few weeks ago, and Morse did fine.
    100%! Steve is playing like the lion he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Just listened to the new one (ok, it's been out a while!). It's OK. Kind of samey regarding tempos. Ian Gillan has become somewhat of a rapper. Nice, solid playing, but nothing special. Don Airey is very good on it.
    I quite liked Now What? but the reviews of this one were a little along the lines of 'more of the same'. I wasn't keen on the sample track 'Time For Bedlam' either....then again 'Hell To Pay' was better on the album than the single edit which they used as a promo.

I just popped Infinite in the player a couple days ago, a year later still sounding pretty darn good. I'd have to say i'd much rather hear this than anything Blackmore has been up to (wasn't impressed with the 'new' Rainbow samples).

Saw the tour last summer with Alice Cooper and Edgar Winter, first off - Purple flat out smoked, Morse is a guitar god and Don Airey has done a fabulous job assuming the mantle of the Lord and the rest of the guys were awesome.

Edgar Winter and his band put on a 50 minute set of pure dynamite, yes, Tobacco Road was a long jam and worth every minute of it's time.

Alice Cooper, well, his band was proficient, talented, tight, and as many superlatives that you'd want to throw out there, Alice played the part of Alice with great stage presence, but lip synced the goddamn vocals...argh!

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Alice Cooper, well, his band was proficient, talented, tight, and as many superlatives that you'd want to throw out there, Alice played the part of Alice with great stage presence, but lip synced the goddamn vocals...argh!
    Really? I didn't know he was doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I quite liked Now What? but the reviews of this one were a little along the lines of 'more of the same'. I wasn't keen on the sample track 'Time For Bedlam' either....then again 'Hell To Pay' was better on the album than the single edit which they used as a promo.
    What?!? Oh, I thought it was about a bad rug- Hell Toupee. Boy, do I feel stupid.

^Maybe if Ritchie Blackmore rejoins...