Thread: Record Sales a band shoots for now??

Record Sales a band shoots for now??

With the landscape of the music business so screwed up, what realistic goal sales wise do u think a band sets today that might equal to them a gold record by today's standards?? Or is that just a part of the pie that a band looks at??? Thoughts???

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I think in yesteryear, concerts sold the albums which is where the artists made their money. I think it is the back catalog sells the concerts. Especially for the older groups where album sales are not that big and some don't really record anymore. They just tour. Is this correct?

I think it depends on the band. I think most established artists and bands want to put out albums because they know their hardcore fans at least will still purchase them. I notice that a lot of newer and younger bands in particular seem to make a good amount of money selling their cds and vinyl at shows. At least some people go to the shows without knowing their material that well and if they like what they hear they buy it. At least that's how it is for many newer prog bands I've seen(both at festivals and stand a lone gigs).

As far as what the band shoots for concerning album sales I really have no idea. I don't think many prog bands have albums that sell more than 20,000 copies but it depends on the band and the genre. For prog metal I would say most probably don't sell more than 50-60,000 but this is just a guess. The more well known bands will sell more. I'm sure Opeth, Porcupine Tree/SW, and whatever other bands and artists have made the billboard charts that could be considered prog sell more than 100,000. With lack of exposure and radio play they need to be realistic though. It depends on what the bands goals and expectations are and if they want to make a living at making music.

I think for Indie bands. Some should be happy with 500. You can make money at that amt if you dont have a label selling them for you. Selling 500 with a label means you would probably owe them at least $1,000.

If you play a few gigs, you might hit that 500 units fairly easy.

If you have not been heard of before, its really tough to get anyone interested in buying - most people expect new artists to give everything away for free.

Metallica was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I think for Indie bands. Some should be happy with 500. You can make money at that amt if you dont have a label selling them for you. Selling 500 with a label means you would probably owe them at least $1,000.

If you play a few gigs, you might hit that 500 units fairly easy.

If you have not been heard of before, its really tough to get anyone interested in buying - most people expect new artists to give everything away for free.

Metallica was right.
    The best thing a band could do is sell only vinyl and only at live shows. Say no to internet music. Tour half the year, work another job like everyone else and save up for the music half of the year. This would give the music a rarity and scarcity that other bands can't generate plastering their music on every possible website. Once it catches on, the band could sell vinyl to loyal distributors etc.

If I owned a distributorship, I would be excited to see a band do this and would help them out (assuming they are good). I would not like a band offering their stuff in virtual formats when I am trying to sell their music through more traditional channels.

The standards for a gold record haven't changed. In the US it's still 500K units shipped for gold, one million for platinum. But the notion of gold or platinum isn't ultimately important (unless an ego requires it). What is important is building audience. Determine the appropriate menu of products and experiences that allows you to monetize across the demographics of that audience. Arm members of that audience with tools and incentives to encourage word-of-mouth. Develop a touring strategy that utilizes live audio/video/photos to best advantage. Get great at social media and understanding data/analytics. Embrace streaming, downloading, webcasting and ensuring your digital presence is as great an experience on mobile/tablets as it is on desktops.
    This a game of multiple revenue streams...don't aim for gold/platinum awards.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Quote Originally Posted by Grimjack View Post
    The standards for a gold record haven't changed. In the US it's still 500K units shipped for gold, one million for platinum. But the notion of gold or platinum isn't ultimately important (unless an ego requires it). What is important is building audience. Determine the appropriate menu of products and experiences that allows you to monetize across the demographics of that audience. Arm members of that audience with tools and incentives to encourage word-of-mouth. Develop a touring strategy that utilizes live audio/video/photos to best advantage. Get great at social media and understanding data/analytics. Embrace streaming, downloading, webcasting and ensuring your digital presence is as great an experience on mobile/tablets as it is on desktops.
    This a game of multiple revenue streams...don't aim for gold/platinum awards.
    Spot on for sure in this modern age. The problem is that covering all the bases with "self promotion" is just too cumbersome and too many jobs have to be done right, and all this takes away from the artists focusing on their music. Touring is tiring and at times toxic. Trying to keep up with everything on a CONSISTENT basis is going to be more than most bands can handle.

The other issue is that while more members in a band is good for delegating or sharing responsibilities, more members also means the pie gets divided up into smaller slices. The solo artist that just hires musicians for a stock fee isn't creating the creative intimacy that bands used to share and live through that often bonded them.... and would often produce something truly "special".

The system today allows for bands to tour, play compromised venues, and keep it just above the bread line if they are lucky.

I think the old way was ultimately better for everyone. Bands living off label advances assured all the basics were covered by a team of professionals (assuming it was a quality label). While the bottom line often wasn't good in the end for the band, they at least had a real chance of breaking big if the stars lined up.

If you just want to make money as a musician, play cover tunes on cruise ships, or start a tribute band mimicking a superstar band, not KC.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    (...) Say no to internet music. Tour half the year, work another job like everyone else and save up for the music half of the year. This would give the music a rarity and scarcity that other bands can't generate plastering their music on every possible website. Once it catches on, the band could sell vinyl to loyal distributors etc.
    (...)
    You just forgot to suggest them to find some good time machine. Big enough where that they can store the tour manager who has substantial of weight these days!