Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Asia to tour again in 2017

Asia to tour again in 2017

Opening for Journey. http://carlpalmer.com/press/2017_ASI...no_contact.pdf “Asia is honoured to be asked to share the stage with Journey,” says ASIA’s lead singer and bassist John Wetton. “On a personal note, this couldn’t have come at a better time for me; I look forward to seeing everyone on the tour next year."

15 Mar Yakima, WA Yakima Valley SunDome
    16 Mar Spokane, WA Spokane Arena
    18 Mar Eugene, OR Matthew Knight Arena
    20 Mar Boise, ID Taco Bell Arena
    21 Mar Bozeman, MT Brick Breeden Fieldhouse
    24 Mar Fargo, ND Fargodome
    27 Mar Green Bay, WI Resch Center
    28 Mar Madison, WI Alliant Energy Center
    31 Mar Fort Wayne, IN Allen County War Memorial Coliseum
    01 Apr Evansville, IN Ford Center
    03 Apr Moline, IL iWireless Center
    04 Apr Dayton, OH Nutter Center

Additional dates to be added. Nice to see John Wetton expects to be healthy!
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I had pretty much said I was done seeing both bands, but I may have to check this one out. Just for ol' times sake.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Never seen Journey, and if 2016 has taught me anything it's "take advantage of every opportunity you have to enjoy the performers you love right now," so I guess I'll be seeing my first Journey show as a bonus to not missing Wetton, Downes, Palmer, and that youtube guitar kid if I can help it.

I'll try to go see Asia if they come anywhere near me. No particular interest in Journey, but I'm sure they will put on a good show. Let's keep our fingers crossed that John will be healthy enough to do this.

Yeah, hope this makes its way to Atlanta.
    G.A.S -aholic

Get Steve Howe back in Asia, John.

Quote Originally Posted by The Crimson King View Post
    Get Steve Howe back in Asia, John.
    That's on Steve. He left voluntarily to pursue other interests. I think he got everything he needed out of Asia.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Never seen Journey, and if 2016 has taught me anything it's "take advantage of every opportunity you have to enjoy the performers you love right now," so I guess I'll be seeing my first Journey show as a bonus to not missing Wetton, Downes, Palmer, and that youtube guitar kid if I can help it.
    The current version of Journey is fantastic live. My guess is you will enjoy it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Are they only playing America's corn, potato, cheese, and legal pot basket? (Not necessarily in that order.) Mmmm!

I've actually never seen Journey so this is rather appealing to me. I currently have a good number of their older albums. I have only seen Asia once(in 2006 I think)but wouldn't mind seeing them again. I guess it's rather obvious that most attending will be mainstream/arena rock fans so they(Asia) will probably play mostly the hits and stuff from their first two albums. Maybe also some of the more recent stuff but I doubt they would play any non Wetton era stuff regardless.

The best news about this, for me, is that John Wetton posted it.

neil

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    That's on Steve. He left voluntarily to pursue other interests. I think he got everything he needed out of Asia.
    I saw Asia in 2012 at the Grand Opera House in Wilmington DE. Couldn't have been more than 300 people there, in a venue that seats maybe 1500. I don't know if Howe had already decided to exit Asia at that point, but I wasn't surprised by the news, which came shortly thereafter.

so i guess Wetton is doing better?
    will Carl be up for this after Greg's passing?
    hope they do some kind of tribute for Greg.

Wonder if this is just a nostalgia tour, or if they'll have a new album out?

We walked out on Journey 3 songs into their set Sep.4,2016 at Day On The Green @ AT&T Park. It wasn't because they sucked or anything musical,it was because we were freezing our asses off and just couldn't take the bay wind slamming in our faces anymore. Neal Schon likes to play a lot of notes.

Dayton, huh? Just saw Transa-Siberian Orchestra at the Nutter Center last week. Not a horrible venue...
    The Prog Corner

Downes has said they've written a new album, so the question is when they might record it.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

In fairness, they now have four albums to draw from as well as the 80s ones. A 'nostalgia band', to me at least, is one that repeatedly solely draws from decades-old material...and the exact same decades-old material at that. Look no further than The Moody Blues. (At least Steve Hackett digs pretty deep with the Genesis catalogue and he's still putting out/touring new material too.)

The problem when I saw them live in 2009 was that they only had Phoenix and the first two/three at that time, and very little of Phoenix was played live- they were even still doing the King Crimson/Yes/ELP/Buggles stuff at the show I saw! Subsequent set-lists look very different. John Wetton was on great form though.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Downes has said they've written a new album, so the question is when they might record it.

Henry
    I didn't realize that they'd written an entire album. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    In fairness, they now have four albums to draw from as well as the 80s ones. A 'nostalgia band', to me at least, is one that repeatedly solely draws from decades-old material...and the exact same decades-old material at that. Look no further than The Moody Blues. (At least Steve Hackett digs pretty deep with the Genesis catalogue and he's still putting out/touring new material too.)
    I probably didn't phrase that well. I really was trying to find out if they would be touring behind a new album or not.

^I haven't heard Gravitas yet, actually. Howe leaving was kind of a blow for me...I don't even remember it being commented upon much here when it came out. I did like the three new ones with Howe and still play them.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I haven't heard Gravitas yet, actually. Howe leaving was kind of a blow for me...I don't even remember it being commented upon much here when it came out. I did like the three new ones with Howe and still play them.
    I've only listened to it once or twice. I was underwhelmed.

It's easy to think that Howe didn't have much say and that the Wetton/Downes writing team dominated everything, but his presence is missed on the albums in which he doesn't appear.

And I don't get why they insist on replacing him with these more metal type of players.

And I don't get why they insist on replacing him with these more metal type of players.
    Funny, I was just pondering that weighty topic myself. Whenever Steve has left they have replaced him with shredders. I don't get why either. Steve has never shredded and the music doesn't call for it. Asia needs someone more melodic and orchestral.

As for the new material I was always impressed that they played a lot of Omega and XXX on the respective tours, plus a few from Phoenix. I don't know how much they ever played off Gravitas. I assume, though, as an opening act they will strictly do old stuff.

^I never realized the term "shredder" only applied to metal musicians. Isn't Steve Morse considered a shredder? How about Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani etc. They aren't really metal either imo and yet I'm pretty sure they are still considered shredders. I think you could say Jan Akkerman and Richie Blackmore were shredders too before the term was used. Also, John Mclaughlin. Listen to "birds of fire." If that's not shredding I don't know what is.

As for Asia, I would never consider them metal but then again I'm not really very familiar with much of the post eighties work.

I've only listened to it once or twice. I was underwhelmed.
    Honestly, I think it's the worst thing Asia's ever recorded, and it pains me to say that. "Nyctophobia" is just embarrassing. There are a couple of good songs, mainly "Till We Meet Again," but the rest of the album sounds unfinished and bloated.

The three new ones with Howe are awesome, though. There's just something he adds to the mix that gives it so much class.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)