Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Fly From Here is to be re-released with Horn on vocals next year?

This whole re-recording strikes me as monumentally pointless, particularly as David sounds exactly like Horn on the original, and is clearly singing vocal lines derived by Horn. Another desperate exercise in turd polishing in a likely vain attempt to further boost White and Howe's pensions. I can't be the only person on PE who finds the continued existence of 'Yes' faintly embarrassing.

I find this a strange one. I cannot believe there will be much of a market to make this worthwhile. It's not the worst Yes album, but it's relatively recent and who really wants to buy it twice? I haven't played it in a long time and feel no compulsion to revisit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe they'll re-record it for the new Buggles album. Not only the vocals, but the whole song. Make a Buggles-version out of it. Only then this exercise would make sense IMO.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Trevor H sounds a bit shaky on the above clip.
    I think his voice has a lot of richness and character and I'm sure if he worked with a world class record producer he could make it sound perfect.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I think his voice has a lot of richness and character and I'm sure if he worked with a world class record producer he could make it sound perfect.
    Ahaha! I see what you did there!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    Maybe they'll re-record it for the new Buggles album. Not only the vocals, but the whole song. Make a Buggles-version out of it. Only then this exercise would make sense IMO.
    here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Mo...les+adventures

i am VERY interested in a third BUGGLES album. gave the first two some extended workouts recently. all new material please, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Trevor wants to record the vocals again…but with Jon D singing.
    This to me would be pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    This would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I find this a strange one. I cannot believe there will be much of a market to make this worthwhile. It's not the worst Yes album, but it's relatively recent and who really wants to buy it twice? I haven't played it in a long time and feel no compulsion to revisit.
    I guess I hold it in higher regard than you, as I'd say it's one of the best three or so post-Drama Yes albums. Still, I don't see this as being incredibly important to me, but I would probably buy it just because I like the Drama line-up so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger289 View Post
    Trevor wants to record the vocals again…but with Jon D singing.
    That would be bizzare. I hope not.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    This whole re-recording strikes me as monumentally pointless, particularly as David sounds exactly like Horn on the original, and is clearly singing vocal lines derived by Horn. Another desperate exercise in turd polishing in a likely vain attempt to further boost White and Howe's pensions. I can't be the only person on PE who finds the continued existence of 'Yes' faintly embarrassing.
    I think you are wrong ...firstly , we do not actually know what TH has rerecord, but most probably the Fly from here suite and a couple of other tracks. Secondly we do not know the context in which these tracks will eventually see the light of day...what I think is clear is that TH wants to revisit some of his Yes/Buggles tracks. That is it ...it has nothing to do with Yes, just Mr Horn exploring his past. As a fan I am looking forward to hearing TH sing the songs. To be fair I have the reissue of AIMR and do not think the tracks will sound much different, but whatever you got Trev Horn ...bring it on

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza2001 View Post
    To be fair I have the reissue of AIMR and do not think the tracks will sound much different, but whatever you got Trev Horn ...bring it on
    This was what I thought as well. How different could they be? Maybe he wants all three parts in a 15 minute song so will rework the Yes version with him on vocals. If Horn is doing this though, something makes me think he will want the Yes label on the album, but it wouldn't be "Fly From Here Revisited" or mistaken for that.

I think you are wrong ...firstly , we do not actually know what TH has rerecord, but most probably the Fly from here suite and a couple of other tracks. Secondly we do not know the context in which these tracks will eventually see the light of day...what I think is clear is that TH wants to revisit some of his Yes/Buggles tracks. That is it ...it has nothing to do with Yes, just Mr Horn exploring his past. As a fan I am looking forward to hearing TH sing the songs. To be fair I have the reissue of AIMR and do not think the tracks will sound much different, but whatever you got Trev Horn ...bring it on
    I have no evidence for this at all but my thinking is that there will be a reissue( again ) of Adventures in modern recording or at a push Fly from Here suite ( unlikely) featuring Fly from here and Riding a tiger ,plus other Buggles tracks ..it is important to remember Geof Downes whilst contributing to the album played a very small role in the actual released album.
    Hopefully
    next year we will get a new deluxe Fly from here/Adventures in Modern recording, a new Buggles album and tour, an ARW album and European tour featuring more YESWEST, a new Yes tour in Europe of Tales , a new Yes album, at least two Yes live albums...one current Yes playing Tales and Drama and another featuring classic 70s Yes......and another UK YES tour.....just off to check my bank account !!

Hopefully
    next year we will get a new deluxe Fly from here/Adventures in Modern recording, a new Buggles album and tour,
    Howe's comments suggest that this will be presented as a Fly from Here-based project. A Buggles albums and tour as well appear on the cards. Hurrah!

an ARW album and European tour featuring more YESWEST,
    That seems too optimistic to me. Some sort of ARW studio release maybe, one or two songs, but a full album seems unlikely before 2018. I also suspect the European ARW set will be very close to the US sets. I doubt we'll see major changes until the summer 2017 tour back in the States.

a new Yes tour in Europe of Tales , a new Yes album, at least two Yes live albums...one current Yes playing Tales and Drama and another featuring classic 70s Yes......and another UK YES tour.....just off to check my bank account !!
    Yes back in Europe is probable. A Tales/Drama live release would be unsurprising, although whether we get it in 2017, I don't know. Another live release...? There may be another archival release at some point, but who knows when. A new studio album... maybe in 2017, but perhaps as likely to be 2018.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Howe's comments suggest that this will be presented as a Fly from Here-based project. A Buggles albums and tour as well appear on the cards. Hurrah!

That seems too optimistic to me. Some sort of ARW studio release maybe, one or two songs, but a full album seems unlikely before 2018. I also suspect the European ARW set will be very close to the US sets. I doubt we'll see major changes until the summer 2017 tour back in the States.
    Oh dear Henry your thoughts here disappoint me, but I suspect you are right!! Like you being based in the UK I have not yet seen ARW live but what I have viewed on YouTube does not inspire me at all. I have seen Yes many times and ABWH too probably 30 plus gigs in total as for solo shows...SH, JA, Circa,Yoso, BB Earthworthworks etc that probably adds another 20, whilst I have tickets for a number of UK ARW shows I just do not feel excited. Jon sounds great at the moment which is wonderful and probably almost worth the expensive price of admission....but musically I find ARW dull. There have been posts saying that current Yes are a tribute band....some tribute bands are very good look at The Australian Pink Floyd !! To me ARW playing mostly the classic main sequence tracks sound like a half decent covers band. I got excited originally about this ARW project because JA was singing again in a rock band and most of all because TR was being a live rock musician again...I saw him on the 90125 and Union tours in the UK ( the buggers never toured BG or Talk here !!)
    I really hoped that they would play loads of YESWEST tracks ..particularly Shoot High Aim Low and Endless Dream, even Yes in the early 2000s played Hearts.....instead what do we get? Hold On the worst track off 90125, Lift Me Up the worst track off Union and a reasonable version of Changes once in a while ! To be fair they also play Cinema every night which is a winner. Please ARW when you come to the UK play more Rabin stuff and get a second keyboard player and singer. Finally if I want to hear classic main sequence tracks I will go see SH and current Yes because they actually play the music and sound like Yes ?..their tickets are cheaper too!!

Yes back in Europe is probable. A Tales/Drama live release would be unsurprising, although whether we get it in 2017, I don't know. Another live release...? There may be another archival release at some point, but who knows when. A new studio album... maybe in 2017, but perhaps as likely to be 2018.

Henry
    Thanks Henry, ARW seem rather dull to me...I hoped there would be more Rabin era tracks in the UK...Endless Dream, Shoot High Aim Low, I'm Running etc...not happening instead we get crap versions of classic 70s Yes "hits".....at least Proper Yes will be playing Tales correctly in the UK next year.

Oops somehow some of my original comments have ended up in the quote they start at Oh dear Henry and end at Cheaper too!

I can understand if this is a Horn-driven project. Otherwise, it's completely pointless. I enjoy the FFH album, and don't really hear anything that needs fixing, other than the insertion of a proper penultimate big vocal tune in the FFH suite after "Bumpy Ride" (and that'll obviously never happen). The sequencing of Bumpy Ride into the WCFFH Reprise seems disjointed and makes the suite feel incomplete. Apart from that, I find the album to be polished, interesting and worthy of the Yes name. Unlike Heaven & Earth...

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    I can understand if this is a Horn-driven project. Otherwise, it's completely pointless. I enjoy the FFH album, and don't really hear anything that needs fixing, other than the insertion of a proper penultimate big vocal tune in the FFH suite after "Bumpy Ride" (and that'll obviously never happen). The sequencing of Bumpy Ride into the WCFFH Reprise seems disjointed and makes the suite feel incomplete. Apart from that, I find the album to be polished, interesting and worthy of the Yes name. Unlike Heaven & Earth...
    As Henry has already posted Trevor likes to revisit his past. Fly from here was the track that he and Geof Downes thought they could give to Yes BEFORE they actually joined the band ! They played the track live with YES every night on the Drama tour, they rehearsed it for a possible follow up to Drama , Trevor re recorded it for Adventures in Modern Recording, but left it off the album, eventually Yes released it and made an album of it but whilst Trevor did some keyboards and backing vocals he did not sing the lead, now His good friend Chris Squire has left us, I think Trevor just wants to sing lead vocals in the band he loves on the track that means a lot to him. Obviously Trevor will never be the lead singer in Yes again, but this is the closest he will ever get and that is why I think he is doing it. Hopefully he will produce, cowrite and do backing vocals on the next proper Yes album.

Obviously Trevor will never be the lead singer in Yes again,
    Stranger things have happened in YesWorld...

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Stranger things have happened in YesWorld...
    Yes indeed.. I am still waiting for Steve to give me a ring !! A few years ago at least 2 or 3 times I had this dream/nightmare where somehow I ended up on stage with Yes ..I was playing second guitar to Steve and had no idea what we were going to play or even how to play a guitar !! actually Trevor has of course sang live with Yes three times this past year, so he could perhaps be an occasional member of the group in the future. That would be good.

I bought Fly From Here. I thought it was so-so; very low energy album for Yes. After I read the reviews on H2E, it became the first studio album by Yes that I didn't buy. Now to hear Horn is re-doing the vocals for FFH, well... I just don't think I'm interested enough in the material to bother. Benoit's vocals were fine, it was the material itself that was lacking. I hate to say this, as Yes was one of my favourite bands ever, but their latest work just hasn't hit the spot for me.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

News of a new Trevor Horn project! Doing music for an anime series. More at http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wnalum.htm#musical

Henry

So it's been announced that the re-recorded version is only going to be available at the YES Fan convention in London! Will be interesting to know what the additional unreleased track is and whether it was recorded when Chris Squire was still around?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    So it's been announced that the re-recorded version is only going to be available at the YES Fan convention in London! Will be interesting to know what the additional unreleased track is and whether it was recorded when Chris Squire was still around?
    Will have to download that as soon as it's spread across the web...

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    So it's been announced that the re-recorded version is only going to be available at the YES Fan convention in London!
    Reads to me like it will be officially unvelied there, not that it won't ever be available anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Reads to me like it will be officially unvelied there, not that it won't ever be available anywhere else.
    Hope that's the case?

I feel like unless the remix is radical, this is going to sound exactly the same, given that David's voice wasn't that far removed from Horn's. More of novelty than anything else.

The new track is the only thing that has me really curious.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I feel like unless the remix is radical, this is going to sound exactly the same, given that David's voice wasn't that far removed from Horn's. More of novelty than anything else.
    Agreed. I'm going to hold out for the Horn versions of Close to the Edge and The Yes Album.