Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly From Here is to be re-released with Horn on vocals next year?

Considering Benoit basically sang Horn's melodies makes me wonder how different this could be. Maybe a bit...older sounding? It will be a curiosity if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Anyone find this a slap in Benoit's face?
    Yes, completely.

But reading more made me think it wont be if handled well. No doubt that Horn has always wanted Fly From Here I and II on Yes, so he produced that plus the Riding the Tiger which turned into Life on a Filmset. His dream must have been to have him be the singer as well as get what he thought should have been Drama II out there in some closer form to his vision. (I realize everyone reading this knows this - just stating the obvious.)

The Buggles version of parts I and II is one of my favorite songs of the past 10 years and while the Yes Fly From Here Suite not quite as much, I liked the third part a lot but no need for Bumpy Ride. If Yes puts this entire album out without a noticeable difference apart from Horn at lead, I'll think it was not needed and somewhat an insult to Benoit who was excellent on that suite and the rest of the album.

I'm a huge Horn fan , so Id almost certainly buy anything apart from just Horn singing the lead on the Suite.

I got Adventures in Modern Recording II after "Fly From Here Parts I and II" sucked me in on youtube after finding out that is what 10 minutes of the new Yes album was going to be then and because I like Horn overall. That quirky CD disappointed me at first but at least I liked that and "I am a Camera." Then I found two more songs, then two more and.... started playing the entire thing as a favorite of the year. But "Riding the Tiger" is so close to "Life on a Filmset" that I don't need a Yes version of more off that CD. Most haven't heard them so I understand if they might appear on a new Yes album, but I hope at least 75% new Yes.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 12-06-2016 at 04:06 PM.

if they remix FFH with Jon Anderson vocals- i'll buy that!

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I wish he would put up the version that is on Adventures in Modern Recording II,
    What is this? Never heard of it before.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Buggles demos were YouTube linked way back on the old board (I had already bought FFH by then, but knew Buggles demos had been used). As I remember 'Life On A Film Set' was almost exactly the same as the demo 30 years before, just with a full band. And that was always my issue with the album...relying so much on ancient songs.
    Last edited by JJ88; 12-06-2016 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    But those were total re-recordings. The impression I'm getting here is that it's only the vocals getting re-done...that's got to hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Exactly. As long has he still gets his little nut I'm sure he's probably OK with it. It's Trevor f-ing Horn, after all. Hey, Benoit was probably thrilled to be music directed note-for-note by TH on the original recording anyways.
    I don't know: someone would have to go ask him. But I think the latter is perhaps more likely. This is Trevor's (and Geoff's) music*: if Trevor wants to re-visit it, I think David will recognise it's his to do so. Its a different context to the Blizzard of Ozz re-recording.

* I think it unlikely that Horn has bothered to do vocals on the other songs. He won't have re-recorded vocals for "Hour of Need".

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    What is this? Never heard of it before.
    I think he means the 2010 re-release of Adventures with lots of bonus tracks, including demos for "Fly from Here" parts 1 and 2 and "Riding a Tiger" ("Life on a Film Set").

But The Buggles have talked about a new album, perhaps for next year, which would really be Adventures II with new re-recordings of several pieces, all of which makes it sound very similar to what's going on with Fly from Here, except one's under The Buggles name and one, Yes.

Henry

Well Horn might as well have done it at the time and cut out the middle man, and just had David touring it...it wasn't his music after all, I guess.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Now that you mention it...

BTW, I wonder if they're going to leave off Bumpy Ride?

Well Horn might as well have done it at the time and cut out the middle man, and just had David touring it...it wasn't his music after all, I guess.
    I wonder how much this is about Horn going on a musical journey in recent years, since his wife's accident, in which he's become more confident as a singer and a performer generally. In 2010, he was happy for this music to get an outing, but still not wanting to front it. But now, in 2016, he's maybe more comfortable in that role?

Henry

Oh, someone used Adventures II, so I did as well keeping it consistent.

The Buggles demos were YouTube linked way back on the old board (I had already bought FFH by then, but knew Buggles demos had been used). As I remember 'Life On A Film Set' was almost exactly the same as the demo 30 years before, just with a full band. And that was always my issue with the album...relying so much on ancient songs.
    Fly From Here Parts I and II is a starker version than the Yes suite and what I like more. Chris Squire said they turned a pop song into something more significant, but I disagree. That was perfect as it was and partly because of Horn's voice IMO, partly because there was no "Bumpy Ride" to ruin the mood. So a wild guess is that there is a 15 to 20 minute version with Horn as the lead coming, and I'd buy that.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 12-06-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Fly From Here is to be re-released with Horn on vocals next year?

Definitely.

Actually the whole thing is a slap in all our faces, lol.

Rumored bonus track: "Run Through The Cut Out Bins"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Now that you mention it...

BTW, I wonder if they're going to leave off Bumpy Ride?
    there gonna include the original 9 minute version...

Next they are replacing the orchestra in Magnification with Patrick Moraz

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Now why can't I think of remixes like this? I'd buy this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    This is Trevor's (and Geoff's) music*: if Trevor wants to re-visit it, I think David will recognise it's his to do so. Its a different context to the Blizzard of Ozz re-recording.

* I think it unlikely that Horn has bothered to do vocals on the other songs. He won't have re-recorded vocals for "Hour of Need".

Henry
    When I first read about this the other day on Yesfans site I took to defending Benoit and chimed in with others that this was a slap in the face to him.. But you know Henry.. you got a point.. He can do with it as he pleases..

This has gotta be the weirdest "re-issue" I've ever heard of. Weirder than Peter Gabriel singing over 30-year old live concert tapes. Weirder than all the Frank Zappa remixes. Way weirder than the Ozzy thing, which was just done for greed apparently.

Really can't think of why anyone would want this... Particularly because, as has been noted a few times above, it's not going to sound any different. How do we know that's not Horn singing on it already??

Just to clarify... If "they" release a version of the album Fly From Here without anything else changing except just has Horn as the lead singer, then yes, it looks like a wealthy producer with name recognition trying to erase who Yes hired and did a fantastic job, just has a big ego. Other incarnations would make sense.
    Last edited by yamishogun; 12-06-2016 at 09:13 PM.

I love Fly From Here just as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Maybe we could get Union with Howe and Wakeman!

Seriously, I never listened to that album and thought what it needed most was removing Benoit David from the mix.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Seriously, I never listened to that album and thought what it needed most was removing Benoit David from the mix.
    That makes perfect sense. "I never heard the album, but I'll be an asshat and say the singer should be removed."

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    That makes perfect sense. "I never heard the album, but I'll be an asshat and say the singer should be removed."
    Reading comprehension time. Pay attention.

"I never listened to that album and thought what it needed most was removing Benoit David from the mix." As in, When I listened to that album, I never thought he needed to be removed.

Sorry you can't understand English.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Wow, I think slightly more than a slap in the face. More like a kick in the nuts. Whatever Horn's motivation, it really is just mean spirited to replace BD's vocals. They really treated BD like crap.

Reminds me of Sharon Osbourne replacing Lee Kerslakes' drums and Bob Daisley's bass on Blizzard of Oz just so she didnt have to pay royalties.

Personally, i would have preferred Squire singing lead vocals on Drama. They should have gone on as a 3 pieces as originally planned.