Thread: Any Thought Industry fans? Kalamzoo Prog-metal band from the early 90's

Any Thought Industry fans? Kalamzoo Prog-metal band from the early 90's

I love these guys, they constantly changed their sound.

First album:

Second Album:

Third album:
    Last edited by The Czar; 12-03-2016 at 01:50 AM.
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

http://thefairlysecretarmy.bandcamp.com/

http://wavesofmercury.bandcamp.com/

Fourth album:

Fifth album:
    " My advice is to get them off right after your shoes and before your trousers... that's the sock gap. Miss it and suddenly you're a naked man in socks. No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her. "

By the end, they weren't very proggy

Personally I think the first album is the pinnacle of progressive thrash, or whatever the genre warriors want to call it (they get all amped up about these things).

IMO, it's on the same level of creative genius as the early 70s Italian prog albums, but through a completely different lens. The title track and 'The Chalice Vermillion' alone are worth the price of the disc and are complete head spinners. There really has never been any album like this one before, during, or after. A true moment of brilliance and one of my all-time favorite albums.

Love the first two albums, some of the best 'prog metal' ever.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    By the end, they weren't very proggy
    Yeah, the last two albums I think are more alternative rock if I remember right.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

There is a facebook page for the band.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/96212327823/

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    Personally I think the first album is the pinnacle of progressive thrash, or whatever the genre warriors want to call it (they get all amped up about these things).

IMO, it's on the same level of creative genius as the early 70s Italian prog albums, but through a completely different lens. The title track and 'The Chalice Vermillion' alone are worth the price of the disc and are complete head spinners. There really has never been any album like this one before, during, or after. A true moment of brilliance and one of my all-time favorite albums.
    I posted this reply on the TI facebook page.
    Their guitarist Christopher Lee Simmons just shared it saying "so proud"

I totally agree with your review of that album.

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I posted this reply on the TI facebook page.
    Their guitarist Christopher Lee Simmons just shared it saying "so proud"

I totally agree with your review of that album.
    Cool - thanks for doing that! I predict that album will find its audience many years from now. Often times it's history that sets the record straight on creative works such as this.

Mods Carve The Pig is on my list of Jeff Wagner's 50 recommended progressive metal albums.

I've been gradually acquiring his recommendations, mostly taking a leap of faith without hearing them, and for the most part finding something to like in each of them, but this one by Thought Industry has me dithering over whether to purchase or not. I listened to a couple of clips online and wasn't too enamoured with the more overtly punk thrash overtones.

But I may be doing the album a disservice? (I'm trying to be open-minded about the term 'progressive metal', and my tastes go way beyond the traditional stuff like Dream Theater

So here's your starter for ten - why should I buy this album? What has it got going for it?

The first two are sorta like thrash metal mixed with avant-rock. They sound nothing like Dream Theater, Fates Warning, etc. The vocals are more punk/alternative/indie than most metal of the time. If you're not a fan of thrash or playful avant-rock, they may not be for you. I remember reading a review of their first album in a metal mag; it went on about how 'pretentious' they were and being "complex for the sake of being complex." Sound familiar?

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Mods Carve The Pig is on my list of Jeff Wagner's 50 recommended progressive metal albums.

I've been gradually acquiring his recommendations, mostly taking a leap of faith without hearing them, and for the most part finding something to like in each of them, but this one by Thought Industry has me dithering over whether to purchase or not. I listened to a couple of clips online and wasn't too enamoured with the more overtly punk thrash overtones.

But I may be doing the album a disservice? (I'm trying to be open-minded about the term 'progressive metal', and my tastes go way beyond the traditional stuff like Dream Theater

So here's your starter for ten - why should I buy this album? What has it got going for it?
    Mods Carve the Pig is a good album IMO, but it's definitely more hardcore. But Songs For Insects is on its own planet and definitely not punkish. I highly suggest ownership here for repeated listens. My comments are already registered above. Not sure I can froth on any further about it.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    The first two are sorta like thrash metal mixed with avant-rock. They sound nothing like Dream Theater, Fates Warning, etc. The vocals are more punk/alternative/indie than most metal of the time. If you're not a fan of thrash or playful avant-rock, they may not be for you. I remember reading a review of their first album in a metal mag; it went on about how 'pretentious' they were and being "complex for the sake of being complex." Sound familiar?
    Yep! Like every hair-brained Rolling Stone Record Guide review that set back the progress of music 30 years.

I live in Kalamazoo and these guys used to play around here all the time. Their home base was a club called “Club Soda” where I saw them on numerous occasions. They were totally unique and never really sounded like anyone else at the time. As someone else mentioned, they were prog metal, but not in a Dream Theater type of way. They definitely mixed prog with thrash. I still think “Songs For Insects” was probably their best album. The late 80’s and early 90’s was kind of the golden era for bands here in Southwest Michigan. There were several acts that came very close to “making it” with The Verve Pipe probably being the most successful. I always thought Thought Industry would get bigger than they did, although they did manage to have a moderate level of national success. The band did a couple of re-union shows here in Kalamazoo at Shakespeare’s Lower Level, and Louis Trophy House if I remember correctly (Club Soda no longer exists) about 2 years ago. Unfortunately I was out of town and unable to make either of them. I don’t think most (if any) of the guys live around here anymore, but could be wrong on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post

It's on youtube, so you can listen without financial risk.

Also "Mods..." is an album that changes from song to song, yet keeps a unified theme...?