Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which albums should Steven Wilson remix next?

Quote Originally Posted by pbs1902 View Post
    Well, he was supposed to do the first 5, including WBMFTTSTNE, and after the first two he decided he didn't want to do the balance because he didn't like them. It would be on thing if he only was going to do the first two and that is it, but that was not the case. Pretty crappy IMHO

http://www.prog-sphere.com/news/stev...re-elp-albums/
    If he really doesn't care for the rest of ELP's catalogue, then it's probably best that he not remix it. That's similar to critics who dislike prog writing reviews of prog albums. It's best if someone working on an album remix actually likes the material.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    If he really doesn't care for the rest of ELP's catalogue, then it's probably best that he not remix it. That's similar to critics who dislike prog writing reviews of prog albums. It's best if someone working on an album remix actually likes the material.
    IMO, Wilson's remixes of the first two ELP albums are reason enough to have zero interest in him doing anything further with that catalog.

But I realize surround diehards might feel differently.

^I don't get why someone would like the first two and nothing else, but there we go. IMHO Trilogy and BSS are far, far superior as albums...the first two have stunning peaks, but there wasn't too much material at that point, so they have their weaknesses as well. I personally wonder whether something went on behind-the-scenes. I guess we'll never know.

I would agree that, for those interested in these remixes (and I'm not, as a rule, although there are occasional exceptions), the VDGG catalogue is an obvious choice for him to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I don't get why someone would like the first two and nothing else, but there we go. IMHO Trilogy and BSS are far, far superior as albums...the first two have stunning peaks, but there wasn't too much material at that point, so they have their weaknesses as well. I personally wonder whether something went on behind-the-scenes. I guess we'll never know.
    My point regarded the quality of his "remix" work on the first two ELP albums. As such, I couldn't care less whether or not he has any interest in doing any of the other ELP albums, because I wouldn't buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I would agree that, for those interested in these remixes (and I'm not, as a rule, although there are occasional exceptions), the VDGG catalogue is an obvious choice for him to do.
    For surround? I guess. I certainly would have zero interest in a digital stereo remix of any of the VDGG albums.

To quote Shakespeare on UK's Danger Money:

"To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
    To throw a perfume on the violet,
    To smooth the ice, or add another hue
    Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
    To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
    Is wasteful and ridiculous excess."
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    To quote Shakespeare on UK's Danger Money:

"To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
    To throw a perfume on the violet,
    To smooth the ice, or add another hue
    Unto the rainbow, or with taper-light
    To seek the beauteous eye of heaven to garnish,
    Is wasteful and ridiculous excess."
    For a second I thought I was still in the Trevor Horn/Fly From Here thread.
    <sig out of order>

Nipponjin - Far East Family Band

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Yeah, screw it I just emailed CD Japan and asked them directly if these 2016 reissues use the 2015 or 2005 mastering.
    Any news?
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Any news?
    Not yet. If I don't hear from them by tonight I will see if I can find a rip of one 2016 editions online, because that would tell me exactly what mastering was used.

I think they'll respond soon. They probably had to forward the question to Universal Japan.

IMO, Wilson's remixes of the first two ELP albums are reason enough to have zero interest in him doing anything further with that catalog.
    I couldn't disagree more. I love the new stereo remixes and the bonus material. I am in love with his mix on the first album. His remix of Tarkus blew me away too really. Finally it sounds dynamic and not flat like the original mix.

Jakko's remix of Trilogy was terrible IMO, WTF did he do to "Trilogy" itself, took all the oomph out of Keith's solo. And BSS remix sounded the same as ever, waste of money on both of those.

Though, I haven't enjoyed everything Wilson has re-mixed either, but I like what he did with ELP. But, if he's not into them what are you going to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Man In The Mountain View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. I love the new stereo remixes and the bonus material. I am in love with his mix on the first album. His remix of Tarkus blew me away too really. Finally it sounds dynamic and not flat like the original mix.
    Wish I could agree since I bought those and was interested to hear what he'd come up with.

The first album remix was simply awful, IMO. Right when Emerson's organ came in it all sounded like a demo mix. All the amazing depth was gone. All the reverb settings just not even recreated or not recreated well. Like hearing some rough, unfinished tape before Offord had finalized everything.

With Tarkus I knew my the UK LP was in no danger of having any competition, but aside from that there are some decent sounding CDs of the original mix out there. Wilson's remix was his usual approach: Nothing but detail. Ambience and every emotional connection for me completely gone. Dry, clinical mixing which will have no lasting impact and will be considered positively dated in ten years time.
    Last edited by JeffCarney; 12-08-2016 at 12:43 AM.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Thin Lizzy catalog (particularly Jailbreak)

Prince - Around the World in a Day

some later Steven Wilson albums would benefit from remix, adding more subbass to drums and accentuating bass guitars... Deadwing might come out better with remix... I'd set In Absentia as benchmark.

Any news?
    Here is the response from a guy at CD Japan. Based on this, I recommend holding off until it becomes clear what in the hell Universal is doing with these priced-down reissues. Clearly he put in some effort but just couldn't figure it out. My guess is that Universal reverted to the 2005 Hammill remasters and will save the typically preferred 2015 remasters for a later program, but I can't know for sure.

Hello.

Thank you for contacting CDJapan.

We did not know the answer to the question, because there is no such information in the product description that the record company supplied into our database.

So, I visited their website.

http://www.universal-music.co.jp/p/UICY-25581/

There is absolutely no reference whatsoever to any remastering, unfortunately.

To be honest with you, I opened this email without personally knowing anything about this recording or generally a lot about remastering to know the significance of that specific remster you mention.

However, since there is no mention about it at their website, it should be understood that it does not apply.

Record companies do not mention anything that does not apply to the item, such as "this and that specific remastering do not apply to this item" or "this item does not contain any bonus track" and so on, because there is no way they can mention everything that does not apply.

They only mention and emphasize something that actually applies.

So, it will be best if you do not order this item if you are interested specifically in that remastering.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Ha. That CDJapan response is pretty funny. Thanks!
    Chad

Both Going for the One and Tormato could use remixes. Tormato, in particular, has a dreadful mix. Apparently, the Dolby settings were all wrong during those sessions (as with the live tapes used for Yessongs), so it would take someone knowledgeable about '70s recording technology dedicated to correcting the errors in order to get a passable mix. There's probably not much anyone could do about Rick's dreadful Polymoog sounds or Steve's excessive effects (which were probably printed and not added during the mixdown, as guitar effects usually are these days).

The GFTO multitracks are apparently missing, alas, so no hope there.

I'd like to see Black Sabbath's Never Say Die get a remix, but I doubt that's the sort of thing SW would be into.

Several people mentioned Todd Rundgren, but I believe a large number of his multitracks (which he had possession of) were destroyed in a fire many years ago. The guy who did the initial CD mastering of Todd's catalog back in the '80s apparently said that some of the stereo master tapes were not in good condition even back then. I can see AWATS, Todd and Initiation benefitting from better mixes

Ha. That CDJapan response is pretty funny. Thanks!
    Well, I got another response after I inquired further. This seals it. DON'T order the new 2016 VDGG "SHM" CD versions, as they are definitely just the Hammill remasters from 2005.

Frankly, I have to say I'm impressed that this guy at CD Japan followed up on this as my response didn't really require a response.

Hi. Thank you for your inquiry. We understand that many overseas customers are "audiophiles" who enjoy making comparisons different editions. I think average consumers in Japan generally are not so passionate about making comparisons between different edition. Anyway, it proved to be very time consuming to get our inquiry transferred to someone at the record company who could supply an accurate information, but I managed to speak to a kind person who offered to go out of her way to try to find an actual copy to look at. Just now, after she returned to her desk, she called back to say that it uses 2005 remaster.

^That's real information! Thanks Jeff!

Well, I got another response after I inquired further. This seals it. DON'T order the new 2016 VDGG "SHM" CD versions, as they are definitely just the Hammill remasters from 2005.

Frankly, I have to say I'm impressed that this guy at CD Japan followed up on this as my response didn't really require a response.

Hi. Thank you for your inquiry. We understand that many overseas customers are "audiophiles" who enjoy making comparisons different editions. I think average consumers in Japan generally are not so passionate about making comparisons between different edition. Anyway, it proved to be very time consuming to get our inquiry transferred to someone at the record company who could supply an accurate information, but I managed to speak to a kind person who offered to go out of her way to try to find an actual copy to look at. Just now, after she returned to her desk, she called back to say that it uses 2005 remaster.

Wow. Score Japan for caring about the consumer. Too bad they use the 2005 mastering though.

Would love him to remix Tormato. Some great music on there!