Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flute Prog Rock

[QUOTE=Rarebird;648403]Going in every direction possible Chris Hinze
    QUOTE]

Thanks for mentioning Chris Hinze. His early albums, Stoned Flute, Mission Suite and Sister Slick are enjoyable and are excellent examples of an amalgam of jazz and rock influences. My favourite is probably Mission Suite. Its liberal use of wordless vocals and their use as an instrumental voice in their own right is at times reminiscent of bands such as, Zeptelar and Turning Point. However, it is the superb bass work of John Lee that is the real head turner on this disc.

Lee is also featured on the equally impressive Sister Slick which also includes the talent of Philip Catherine on guitar.

Three years earlier Philip Catherine was a member of Sunbirds whose self-titled debut album is a great flute fest that features flautist Ferdinand Povel
    The outstanding title track runs for over twelve minutes. Its loosely arranged, yet persistent groove, features Philip Catherine’s unique phrasing. His fine fret work is spectacularly combined with the low end belching bass of Jimmy Woode and the sympathetic piano work of Fritz Pauer. It is a great example of early jazz fusion and if you like bands such as Soft Machine and Nucleus then much of Sunbirds debut is sure to appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Thanks for the reminder about Ketil's stuff. Do you have any information about Weserbergland ? Is it going to heavily involve the flute ? Is Ketil featured to any large extent in White Willow's forthcoming new album?
    There's a lot of great flute on the Weserbergland release. Actually Ketil is featured on forthcoming albums this coming year from both Weserbergland, Wobbler and White Willow. On the White Willow album he actually focuses on his EWI - electronic wind instrument.

The final part of DPRP'S flute special has been published. The links to all four parts are listed below if anybody wishes to read them. Thanks for all of the suggestions and contributions in this thread.

http://www.dprp.net/reviews/2016-061.php
    http://www.dprp.net/reviews/2016-063.php
    http://www.dprp.net/reviews/2016-065.php
    http://www.dprp.net/reviews/2016-067.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Holm-Lupo View Post
    There's a lot of great flute on the Weserbergland release. Actually Ketil is featured on forthcoming albums this coming year from both Weserbergland, Wobbler and White Willow. On the White Willow album he actually focuses on his EWI - electronic wind instrument.
    looking forward to these releases, thanks for the update

Banned
    Galija Da li postoji put (1982)

Kozmetika Gaja (1983)

One band I enjoy a lot to this day is Asia Minor, nice flute playing all around

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    One band I enjoy a lot to this day is Asia Minor, nice flute playing all around
    Good one! And shame on me for not mentioning them! Between Flesh & Divine is a classic!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Banned
    This beauty - from an underrated, but one of the best albums in the genre of symphonic rock of the era (imo) - have to be mentioned in this thread:

Last edited by Svetonio; 01-17-2017 at 12:40 AM.

Giuliano Sorgini

Banned

Banned
    Another gem from Yugo-prog scene: Grupa 220 Negdje postoji netko (from Naši dani LP, 1968)

Banned
    Reunited Drugi Način recorded this song in 2009; this is a beautiful official video directed by Marija Majerić. Enjoy!

One of the better examples of flute driven prog rock.

Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    One of the better examples of flute driven prog rock.

Yup, PyR is sort of an early Tull (This Was) reincarnation
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Before Jade Warrior....

Swedish band Änglagard : Flute recording sessions for Viljans Öga with Anna Holmgren playing flute
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

...Thank You Alucard for posting that re: Anglagard!

I am just fascinated by the process of creativity.

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 02-06-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    ...Thank You Alucard for posting that re: Anglagard!

I am just fascinated by the process of creativity.

Carry On
    Cris Buckley
    I like their discussion about proggish jazz :"rebel jazz "

How about this great player here

That “heart medication” song I posted earlier was probably “Sensual Impressions” by Joy Unlimited, something I always post when the subject of a flute comes up. Unfortunately, I don’t know who’s playing the flute on it, Klaus Nagel or Gerd Köthe (both are credited with flute on the album, and both are credited with co-composing this particular number!).

And that warning about the heart medication was not an idle one. I am de-sensitized to it because I have been listening to this song for 30-ish years:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Back when James Galway - James Galway! - was part of the avant-garde:

“your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I played (Lenny) Mac Dowell & (Lothar) Krell's Echnaton's Return (1993) last week since a very long time. Some cool flute-stuff in a style which mixes New Age, prog, fusion and world music.
    Mac Dowell played on many recordings from other artists too; he made his appearance for instance on some Eloy-albums.

Exodus From Egypt (with a nice Shine On-quote in the beginning)