Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie dialogue in music

Movie dialogue in music

“Hounds of Love” by Kate Bush uses dialogue from Night of the Demon (1957)
    “Snaporaz” by Finisterre uses dialogue from La dolce vita (1960)
    “The Fountainhead” by Echolyn uses dialogue from The Fountainhead (1949)
    “A Little Nonsense” by Echolyn uses dialogue from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
    “6:00” by Dream Theater uses dialogue from The Dead (1987)

Any others?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Devil Doll- Dies Irae uses a song from Night of the Hunter (the original)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Crime Scene - Terje Rypdal

If we include samples used by techno-industrial bands (some of which are quite long), this thread will go on forever:

Frontline Assembly alone has used dialogue from Evil Dead 2 (State of Mind), Aliens (Caustic Grip), and Robo Cop 2 (Mindphaser), just to name a few-- ....other movie dialogue they have used includes Falling Down, Hellraiser, and Full Metal Jacket.......and that's just scratching the surface, of just one band from that genre

Pink Floyd used samples from Casablanca in Yet Another Movie.

What Mama Said by Jeff Beck used a sample from the movie It's A Mad Mad Mad World.

Bogart is in here saying 'Wait a minute, you’d better talk to my mother' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7t8eoA_1jQ

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Pink Floyd used samples from Casablanca in Yet Another Movie.
    Floyd uses movie bits in several songs on The Wall.. couldn't tell you which ones..
    Last edited by happytheman; 11-27-2016 at 04:46 PM.

Frankly, this sort of thing, while it could certainly be clever and innovative at one time, has by now been done to death IMHO. I find it rather annoying when I hear this stuff anymore and am more likely to skip tracks that include it. (That, and the intentionally distorted voice or voice-through-the-megaphone/telephone receiver thing. Enough already!)

It could also be that I'm just becoming a curmudgeon in my advancing years...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Is that sample on Hounds of Love the "It's in the trees! It's coming!" part? If so, cool--glad to know where it's from.

Braindance uses a lot of samples to good and often comical effect. I can see how it would too much for some, but it's pretty funny and manages to make commentary on the song subject matter too.

"Doxy, Dali and Duchamp" by Jakko Jakszyk contains dialog from [I]The Wicked Lady[I] (1945)

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Floyd uses movie bit is several songs on The Wall.. couldn't tell you which ones..
    The "where the hell are you, Tyler?" bit at the beginning of "Vera" is from The Battle of Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    The "where the hell are you, Tyler?" bit at the beginning of "Vera" is from The Battle of Britain.
    theres a few things from that movie in The Wall, including sound effects

Jon & Vangelis - The Friends of Mr Cairo. Lots of Maltese Falcon dialogue on that one...although apparently is was re-recorded by impressionists rather than lifted directly from the film...

"Sit you down, father" on The Beatles "Day In The Life," is that from a play or a movie?

Squeeze's "Last Time Forever" from their much-maligned album Cosi Fan Tutti Frutti includes the line "A momentary lapse of muscular coordination" uttered by Jack Nicholson in The Shining.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    Jon & Vangelis - The Friends of Mr Cairo. Lots of Maltese Falcon dialogue on that one...although apparently is was re-recorded by impressionists rather than lifted directly from the film...
    I think it's Jon Anderson. An impressionist he is not!

Big Audio Dynamite's E=mc2 quotes extensively from Nicholas Roeg film 'Performance'.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "Sit you down, father" on The Beatles "Day In The Life," is that from a play or a movie?
    It's from a radio broadcast of Shakespeare's King Lear: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_t...from_King_Lear

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I think it's Jon Anderson. An impressionist he is not!

Big Audio Dynamite's E=mc2 quotes extensively from Nicholas Roeg film 'Performance'.
    It's Anderson singing, but I somehow doubt it's him impersonating Humphrey Bogart and Peter Lorre...

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Floyd uses movie bit is several songs on The Wall.. couldn't tell you which ones..
    Yeah, you're right, I think some of them are from a war movie from the 40's or 50's. Supposedly, one of the actors, one way or another, found out about his voice being used on the record, and demanded compensation.

Not from a movie, but there was a band back in the mid 80's called Information Society, who used a sample of Leonard Nimoy, from a Star Trek episode, saying "Pure energy".

The Queen Flash Gordon soundtrack album has dialogue from the movie on several tracks.

Frost* Milliontown uses dialoge ,actually a sound clip from Prophecy , the one with Cris Walken as the murdering angel.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

The intro to "The World Just Gets Smaller" by Giraffe uses a bit from the film Woodstock---"This thing was too big. It was too big for the world. Nobody has ever seen a thing like this"

The extended version of "Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin starts with a sample from the Polanski film Cul-de-sac. "And don't panic. No hysterics." "Nobody's panicking".