Thread: Gentle Giant fans - a question:

Gentle Giant fans - a question:

Are there any films of the early six-piece GG on YouTube? Yes, there's plenty of GG footage out there, but I've never seen any with Phil Shulman, and would like a look at that version of the band. And no, Simon Dupree and the Big Sound doesn't count.

I don't think there is any film/video of Phil with the band, only concert recordings. Hopefully someone proves me wrong.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Are there any films of the early six-piece GG on YouTube? Yes, there's plenty of GG footage out there, but I've never seen any with Phil Shulman, and would like a look at that version of the band. And no, Simon Dupree and the Big Sound doesn't count.
    Never have seen any.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Earliest footage I've seen-
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Earliest footage I've seen
    Despite the fact that it's showing the 1st album, I think that that was recorded well past Phil's departure; they didn't look or dress like that in 1970/71....

And there's only five of them there.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Despite the fact that it's showing the 1st album, I think that that was recorded well past Phil's departure; they didn't look or dress like that in 1970/71....

Yes, exactly on all counts. The only thing that pops up on youtube when Phil/GG is searched is this podcast/interview-

Damon Schulman's music doesn't suck either- https://damonshulman.bandcamp.com/al...oment-of-panic
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

And one of those five is John Weathers, who wasn't a member of the band until 1972.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

This is possibly the earliest footage of them c. 1972-early '73...but again, this is after Phil left.

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Yes, exactly on all counts. The only thing that pops up on youtube when Phil/GG is searched is this podcast/interview-

Damon Schulman's music doesn't suck either- https://damonshulman.bandcamp.com/al...oment-of-panic
    Thanks for posting! Great interview with GG's Phil Shulman with a lot of insights to his days in the band.

If you want *really* old views of these guys, you can go back to the Simon Dupree days:

Once gets the sense Phil was the band's "clown", besides being a backing singer and utility instrumentalist.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    If you want *really* old views of these guys, you can go back to the Simon Dupree days.
    I've seen a certain amount of that already. One thing that surprises me about Simon Dupree, though: just how good a singer Derek actually is. When not confronted with material that pushed his range and flexibility to the breaking point - as GG's tended to do - he sounded much more convincing.