Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debut album from Rachel Flowers - Listen

Bought this on Bandcamp today. Some very very strong moments that blew me away, but also some stuff that seems quite boring to me at the moment. Very good debut album. The jazzy tunes are fantastic.

What is incredible to me is that these are symphonic works, and she plays all the parts herself, on various instruments. Of course there are a few that use a full symphony, but most are synth'ed, plus flute, guitar and bass. Quite sophisticated compositions IMO. Very beautiful with great textures and dynamics.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Banned
    Will buy CD for sure.

Have played it a few times now, and it's really pretty remarkable. Some complicated stuff going on, and like most good music, reveals more of itself after a few listens. One gripe - the postage for the CD to the UK is almost as much as the cost of the album itself, so I've just downloaded it for now. Much as I love Rachel, I'm not spending over £10 to get a CD posted. It should be under £3; hopefully this will be sorted soon, or the actual album will be available to buy in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The Gregs Favorite track reminds me of the first Return To Forever album.
    I had the same thought. I purchased the CD and looking forward to check the rest out.

Bought my Bandcamp copy last night... really enjoying it. In addition to the great compositions, this is the best example of realistic sounding orchestration I've heard. There is depth, ..and a lot of sensitivity in these works overall. Recommended.
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

Beautiful and amazing! Love it!

Had to admit defeat and order a couple of CD copies. I didn't realise how much you guys spend in shipping stuff to Europe - it's well over double what we would pay to go the other way. Never mind, it's worth it to support this great artist.

Ordered CD. A couple actually to give as gifts. It is that time of year.

Happy to support Rachel. She is an amazing talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly112 View Post
    Had to admit defeat and order a couple of CD copies. I didn't realise how much you guys spend in shipping stuff to Europe - it's well over double what we would pay to go the other way. Never mind, it's worth it to support this great artist.
    Yeah, it sucks. The USPS jacked up the rates a couple years ago. What once cost $7 to mail is now $12.

Having said that, I ordered Rachel's CD, too!

Received the CD today. Just had my first listen, as instructed on the front and back covers. Lovely compositions and beautifully played, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard it twice all the way through. I am amazed at the maturity of the compositions, and to think this whole album was completely performed by, arranged and produced by one person is mind boggling. This is an amazing piece of sonic art.

Spent the weekend cleaning up and found $90 of Apple Music gift cards, from 2011! I used to give them as gifts until my nephews started streaming. Anyway, Rachel Flowers new album Bigger on the Inside was in my sights as my next CD to buy. I had heard several tracks already and it was quite good. I was doing a couple of things at once and didn't realize I downloaded Listen by mistake. I put it on while I continued working and after 2 tracks, I was wondering what was playing. I heard Rachel play Emerson, ELP and some of the new tracks before but this was way different. Some jazz and classical influences are heard along with rock. When I checked what was playing, I found that it was Rachel's debut album. Oh this is really good and hits the sweet spot for me. Of course then I had to download Bigger On the Inside. Moral of the story, it always is good to clean up!

^^^ Thx for the heads up on these. I just listened to several tracks from each of her albums. She's great, whether doing jazzy pop, orchestrated instrumentals, whatever. I wish she would try some full-on symph but hey she's the artist she gets to choose. I'm sure I will order all three of her CDs, maybe on Bandcamp Friday.

Came across this a short while ago, and it is a clip I had not seen.

I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Came across this a short while ago, and it is a clip I had not seen.

Thanks for this. Its new to me and Rachel doesn't disappoint!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    ^^^ Thx for the heads up on these. I just listened to several tracks from each of her albums. She's great, whether doing jazzy pop, orchestrated instrumentals, whatever. I wish she would try some full-on symph but hey she's the artist she gets to choose. I'm sure I will order all three of her CDs, maybe on Bandcamp Friday.
    I'll be picking up her sophomore effort too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I'll be picking up her sophomore effort too.
    Tangram, I don't know if you saw it, but I thought you might be interested in this recent interview I did with Rachel.
    Publisher of Michael's Record Collection e-newsletter. Sign up for free at: https://michaelsrecordcollection.substack.com/
    Stories, video, and podcasts at: www.michaelsrecordcollection.com

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    Tangram, I don't know if you saw it, but I thought you might be interested in this recent interview I did with Rachel.
    Very good interview with a very special artist. Thanks Lurker.
    PS- I thought of Wilson Phillips too!