Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New release by EYE !

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Just for you. I won't start a thread. Check out the latest by KYLVER: https://kylver.bandcamp.com/ . One of my favorites from 2016!!
    Stop spending my money!

Very strong and fun album, which we reviewed recently over on SoT: http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ntent&id=19349

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Witchwood.
    We discussed them few years ago. Great band and album.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

In the top rank of 2016 releases. I was impressed with the sound on their new album, but they have moments (f.e. like the drum solo on As Sure As The Sun or the bombastic twists of Kill the Slavemaster) that could have been edited out in order to arrive to the perfect album. EYE on this one remind me like a cross between early Nektar and a jazz-less version of Germany's Sahara.

I'll rank their discography as follows:
    1. Second Sight
    2. Vision and Ageless Light
    3. Center of the Sun
    Last edited by spacefreak; 11-22-2016 at 08:36 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Stop spending my money!
    LOL! Not too bad eh?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    In the top rank of 2016 releases. I was impressed with the sound on their new album, but they have moments (f.e. like the drum solo on As Sure As The Sun or the bombastic twists of Kill the Slavemaster) that could have been edited out in order to arrive to the perfect album. EYE on this one remind me like a cross between early Nektar and a jazz-less version of Germany's Sahara.
    Let me disagree. This is just what makes them much more interesting and unique than many other retro-space-rock bands
    which are mostly too predictable and repetitive (dare I say Ozric ?), or based on unstructured endless improvisations by less than competent musicians.
    EYE is much more than that and the inclusion of many different musical genres and (carefully planned) twists raise this album close to perfection , personally I would rank their latest production amongst the best in the genre. The 27-minute long closing epic As Sure As The Sun is a true space-prog masterpiece and should please most prog-fans, not only space-rock aficionados.
    A special mention should be given to the keyboard player, (s)he is obviously a very talented and skilled musician and the (vintage) synth/mellotron parts are awesome, especially the Moog/Arp solos. (incredible at 20'00 in the closing track). A highly recommended album you shouldn't miss If mellotron-loaded retro-prog is your cup of tea.
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 11-22-2016 at 03:25 PM.

I could have done without the drum solo in the middle of the epic track also. Aside from that, it's a brilliant disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I could have done without the drum solo in the middle of the epic track also. Aside from that, it's a brilliant disc.
    Not essential I agree, but hey it's a 37 SECONDS "solo" ! Actually much more like a break/fill than a solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Not essential I agree, but hey it's a 37 SECONDS "solo" ! Actually much more like a break/fill than a solo.
    It strikes by giving the impression that it's much longer in the flow. That's the problem. It breaks the continuity of what could have been a flawless piece.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It strikes by giving the impression that it's much longer in the flow. That's the problem. It breaks the continuity of what could have been a flawless piece.
    What he said.

This is an awesome new album! And if you purchase the vinyl, it's clear vinyl!

I really hope they play in Cleveland, since they're from Columbus. I'd love to see them live.
    Laura

If I remember well on the stoner rock thread we featured the band Pretty Weapons, that were a pre-EYE formation.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

To my ears there is a very clear reference to Uriah Heep's July Morning in As sure as the sun, at about 6 mins in, especially the hammond part.